Rude ambulance driver

scruffyponies

Visit site
We have a local station, so see a lot of ambulances. For the record our local drivers have always been fantastic, and we as riders go to great lengths to get off the road for them and give them a clear run past us. I know they don't like going past us quickly, so we bend rules for them by going onto pavements and private property etc, so they don't have to slow down.

Today however, one really got my goat. We were riding single file down a wide road, well to the left at trot; plenty of room to pass. An ambulance overtook us and the uniformed passenger shouted out of window at me "you should look over your shoulder more often".

The implication is that it is my fault that he chose not to overtake, and that he chose not to let me know he was there by using his siren (he could have seen me 200 yards away and used them briefly to give warning).
I can't turn my neck fully due to an old injury, and in any event, is it now on me as a rider to keep swivelling in the saddle, just in case there is an emergency service vehicle, or some prat tailgating who can't make his own decision.

I appreciate that he was probably having some kind of dilemma as to whether to use his siren, and responding to an emergency but in my view he was out of order. AIBU?

scruffyponies

Visit site
it is on you to keep an eye on what's around you , especially if you're in an area where you know there many ambulances.

We might see one on that stretch of road one in 20 rides... fairly common, but certainly not 'many'.
On a single track road I would be constantly keeping an ear out for what's behind, but not on an open road with passing space.

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
We might see one on that stretch of road one in 20 rides... fairly common, but certainly not 'many'.
On a single track road I would be constantly keeping an ear out for what's behind, but not on an open road with passing space.

Maybe I'm just paranoid or super risk adverse, but I like to know what's going on around me irrespective of the size of the road. Possibly even more so with wide roads as they'll be fast cars and / or big wagons :)

dogatemysalad

Visit site
All road users need to be constantly aware of traffic approaching from behind. To be oblivious, is to put, yourself, your horse and other road users at risk.
If your old injury prevents you from comfortably looking out for traffic behind you, ask another rider to ride behind you so they can do the checking.

holeymoley

Visit site
I have to say I can understand where they're coming from. They were correct in not using a siren. If I'd seen two riders ahead in single file trotting, I wouldn't have overtook either. I suppose it depends on location to deem it safe to do so regardless of how wide the road was, more whether you were in a built up area or a straight country road?

Fwiw you should really be able to turn and be aware of what's around you at all times.

conniegirl

Visit site
I think YOU are in the wrong here. Emergency services are taught not to pass horses with sirens on as most horses don’t like them and that can cause some to have major issues.

if you are riding on the road you should ALWAYS be aware of what is behind you and if a vehicle is trying to pass you should come back to walk

honetpot

Visit site
Riding a horse on the road is a bit like driving a slow vehicle, like a lorry, you have to be aware whats behind you and sometimes it just makes sense to slow down and pull over where its safe and let traffic past. This stops people trying to dodge in front of you when its not safe, cut in too soon when over taking or just release the held up traffic and stop people getting annoyed.
I would have slowed down or stopped and pulled over, the only time I would have kept trotting is a blind corner or if there was no space to get out of the way and I would have trotted to the nearest gap/passing place and stood in it, and given them if possible a wave and a smile.

scats

Visit site
A lot of people don’t like passing horses at a trot and they were probably not wanting to put the siren on incase of scaring the horses. If I am trotting on the roads, I’m always aware of what’s coming up behind me as I will come back to walk to allow cars to pass safely. If your neck is too bad to turn around, perhaps ask your fellow rider to do the checking.

If the ambulance had been behind you for a while and felt it was unsafe to pass but you didn’t seem aware of their presence, then I can see why they commented.
I wouldn’t get too hung up on it though, just keep it mind for next time.

stormox

Visit site
I think you should always be aware whats behind you, whether driving cycling or riding.
Yes as a rider you should be looking behind often especially with todays electric vehicles, and slowing to a walk if people want to pass.
A horse would be trotting about 8-12 mph, so not really fair to expect a vehicle to pass you.

luckyoldme

Visit site
Sometimes you just have to swallow the ftustration.
Hes having a bad day.
Ive been a bit irrational myself particularly in lockdown because ive had moments where i have seen folk out on their bikes and felt jealous that they had all that time on their hands.
After my little rant to myself and later on when i look back I realise I have no idea at all whats going on in their lives...its me thats being a nob.

doodle

Visit site
I think it is your responsibility to be aware what is behind you. I certainly wouldn’t want them using siren at all. And if you were trotting you have them little chance to pass. They may have been on route to a huge emergency and frustrated by their lack of progress. I don’t think he was at fault in this situation.

scruffyponies

Visit site
I think I'm going to have to agree to disagree on this one. Same issue on the tractor - no rear view mirrors, and of course way too loud to hear something behind. If I kept swinging around to look, I'd be all over the road (if you've driven a vintage tractor at 20mph you'll know you need your eyes front), so I look when I have slowed to make a turn, and other than that, leave folk to take their own decisions when passing.

Nobody could have reasonably claimed we were blocking the road. They could have passed safely at any time, and we couldn't hear them until they were alongside because of the wind and rain.

He must not have been local, or he'd know you could land a harrier jump jet next to mine without a fuss - or indeed an air ambulance, which did actually happen once. ;)

holeymoley

Visit site
I think I'm going to have to agree to disagree on this one. Same issue on the tractor - no rear view mirrors, and of course way too loud to hear something behind. If I kept swinging around to look, I'd be all over the road (if you've driven a vintage tractor at 20mph you'll know you need your eyes front), so I look when I have slowed to make a turn, and other than that, leave folk to take their own decisions when passing.

Nobody could have reasonably claimed we were blocking the road. They could have passed safely at any time, and we couldn't hear them until they were alongside because of the wind and rain.

He must not have been local, or he'd know you could land a harrier jump jet next to mine without a fuss - or indeed an air ambulance, which did actually happen once. ;)

The difference with a tractor is that it's not unpredictable and likely to cause an accident if it gets a fright. Not saying your horse is but the ambulance driver doesn't know that.

scruffyponies

Visit site
Right or wrong aside, you can buy a small mirror that attaches to your wrist via a wriststrap not much bigger than a watch (used by cyclists normally) which would help give you a view of whats behind without turning your head. Just thought that might be handy in your situation.
I have seen those. Sadly I think if your wrist is in the right place for it to work when you're riding, you have bigger problems :D

TheLankyRider

Visit site
I have seen those. Sadly I think if your wrist is in the right place for it to work when you're riding, you have bigger problems :D
You can get ones that lift from your wrist (a flip phone sort of action if that makes sense) and can be angled. I used one when i used to ride a particular section of busy road and found it pretty handy.

scruffyponies

Visit site
How on earth do you expect an ambulance driver to recognise your horse! The most likely reaction from a horse would be to get upset if they came past.
It's a very small place Kamikaze - probably 2 or 3 ambulance drivers at most, and one lot of local ponies. The comment was tongue in cheek, but most locals recognise us, as do most of the bus drivers; farmers; tradesmen etc. Seriously, if my pony takes a poo and somebody objects, I get tagged on facebook!

stormox

Visit site

Passing a tractor is very different than passing a horse, a tractor wont suddenly spook! But the tractor driver should still be aware of traffic around him/her.
And it is totally ridiculous to expect a driver to know which horses are traffic proof and which aren't. A driver must pass all horses expecting them to be unpredictable and likely to shy at a leaf.
And even if the driver knew "XX rides out on a bay horse and its quiet" one day XX might be out on her new bay horse which isnt so quiet!! So ALL horses must be treated as equal and passed slowly and carefully, and ALL riders must be courteus to drivers, slowing to a walk to allow people to pass easily and saying thank you.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I can't turn my neck fully due to an old injury, and in any event, is it now on me as a rider to keep swivelling in the saddle, just in case there is an emergency service vehicle, or some prat tailgating who can't make his own decision.
Yes, it is :).

You say that you were riding in single file. Were none of the party keeping an eye out for traffic coming up from behind?

ETA

Fireman who caused farmer's cow stampede death sentenced http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-12251563

doodle

Visit site
Non horse folk see a brown horse or a white horse. I am presuming you didn’t recognise the driver so why would be recognise you? And still they will have been trained on how to pass a horse and however they decided, they decided not safe to pass you. Yes it is your responsibility to be aware of what is behind you. If you had I am sure you would have moved off the road or signalled for them to pass. What would have happened if they had passed, a horse had spooked, rider and horse had been hurt. They would have been at fault for passing!