Rude ambulance driver

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
  • Rule 169 of the Highway Code states: “Do not hold up a long queue of traffic, especially if you are driving a large or slow-moving vehicle. Check your mirrors frequently, and if necessary, pull in where it is safe and let traffic pass.” Failure to follow this rule can result in a charge of inconsiderate driving which could lead to a penalty of three to nine points and fines of up to £5,000.

• Tractors also have to have at least one rear view mirror.

scruffyponies

Visit site
To say that they would be at fault for passing is crazy. It is also crazy to describe us as holding up a queue. The road there is wide enough that buses would usually be doing 30-40mph as they overtake us (depending if they bother slowing at all), and be a bus-width clear as they do so.

Tractor mirror point is interesting. I have never seen one fitted to an old Fergie or similar, nor is it obvious where you might reasonably mount one. Pictures please, anybody who has done it!

conniegirl

Visit site
Ambulance drivers will have been taught not to pass horses at 30 to 40 mph as that can also spook horses.
Pass wide and slow! 20mpH is the normal they are taught is safe.

if you cannot safely ride on the road due to your neck then you should not ride on the road.
you were inconsiderate, you can’t seem to understand that fact and thus you are the type of rider that gives the rest of us a bad name

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I think you were rude, not the ambulance driver. They may well have been on an emergency, they don't always have sirens and will stop the lights to pass the horses.

I thought you must live on a tiny island when you said there were only 2 or 3 ambulance drivers in your area, who should have recognised your horse. But, it says you live in Hampshire. In our area there used to be a more local provision of ambulances, but now they work over a huge area and cross borders. I think it is totally unreasonable to expect them to know your horse.

Yes, it is your responsibility to be able to monitor behind you. In the same situation, I would have walked and then pulled to one side until they passed.

Suggesting they should have blasted the siren either shows you don't know the Highway Code, or it shows this thread is a bog wind up. I'm not sure which one it is.

scruffyponies

Visit site
Is this a Fergie? It has a rear view mirror fitted.

It is indeed a Fergie - even older than mine! Love the old 'Cyclops' lamp.
It's got indicators too, which also aren't standard. Wonder where they have put the controls, given that the accelerator is where your indicator stalk would normally be.

scruffyponies

Visit site
if you cannot safely ride on the road due to your neck then you should not ride on the road.
you were inconsiderate, you can’t seem to understand that fact and thus you are the type of rider that gives the rest of us a bad name

OK. I'm up for a fair discussion, and expect straight talking, but that's just downright rude. Since when is riding in good order down a road, and not hearing someone who chooses to slow behind you rather than just go around 'inconsiderate'. We weren't blocking the road at all. You would struggle to find police horses safer in traffic, and we are unerringly polite as people pass. Get down off your high horse, cowboy!

I would also like to bet that most riders over 40 have had a whiplash or similar injury at some point. It doesn't prevent you riding, just makes turning around like an owl very uncomfortable.

stormox

Visit site
It is indeed a Fergie - even older than mine! Love the old 'Cyclops' lamp.
It's got indicators too, which also aren't standard. Wonder where they have put the controls, given that the accelerator is where your indicator stalk would normally be.

I am at a loss to understand how this thread has got to talking about where to put a tractor mirror. The fact is the Highway Code makes it clear that ALL road users should be aware of, and courteous to, other road users.
It sounds to me the ambulance driver was very correct in his actions. The riders should have been aware of him, and they should have slowed to a walk.
I am well over 40, and have never turned my head like an owl to see behind me! I turn more from the waist if I have to.

Last edited:

scruffyponies

Visit site
I am at a loss to understand how this thread has got to talking about where to put a tractor mirror. The fact is the Highway Code makes it clear that ALL road users should be aware of, and courteous to, other road users.
It sounds to me the ambulance driver was very correct in his actions. The riders should have been aware of him, and they should have slowed to a walk.

Actually the tractor mirror thing is quite a useful aside... well, to me anyway.

I don't argue with any of the above. The fact is we didn't see him (wind, rain, no reason to expect anyone to have been held up). We would have pulled onto the grass verge if we had. He on the other hand, could have simply gone past us, like everyone else did, and didn't need to shout at us out of his window (could that not be expected to spook a horse more than just passing?). That's all.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Actually the tractor mirror thing is quite a useful aside... well, to me anyway.

I don't argue with any of the above. The fact is we didn't see him (wind, rain, no reason to expect anyone to have been held up). We would have pulled onto the grass verge if we had. He on the other hand, could have simply gone past us, like everyone else did, and didn't need to shout at us out of his window (could that not be expected to spook a horse more than just passing?). That's all.

If you think he was out of order, you could complain. You may find out his perspective then.

View

Visit site
I don't think either you or the passenger in the ambulance come out of this well, to be honest.

As the driver of a large vehicle (bus) I would never shout at somebody in charge of an animal (and all of our drivers are trained - by me- to pass horses at no more than 10 mph. The BHS recoomends no more than 15 mph for cars. The effect of a large vehicle is very different and more frightening, hence we train slower, to the lowest speed that registers on our speedos/tachos).

And as a BHS Ride Safe trainer (the new Riding and Road Safety award), I ensure all of my candidates realise that they need to look over their shoulder (depends on the bend in the road as to whether this is right or left) on a frequent basis. Their lives, and that of their mounts, may depend on this.

Last edited:

J&S

Visit site
I am always wary of getting involved in these discussions but: you must at least give an indication to a vehicle such as this who wants/needs to pass that you are either trotting to a safe place (by indicating to the left), or safe to pass as situation is. Otherwise, slow down and wait, to show they can pass you. After all ambulance drivers are on a specific mission whilst we as horse riders are out on a leisure pursuit.

View

Visit site
you must at least give an indication to a vehicle such as this who wants/needs to pass that you are either trotting to a safe place (by indicating to the left), or safe to pass as situation is.

Please don't give a physical indication (other than pulling off the road) to a driver to pass you because this is when it can all go wrong. Let the driver make the decision that it is safe to go past you but by all means tell a driver to stop if it is not safe to go past you. If you wave a driver past and something happens, never mind any physical consequences it will get very messy liability wise. Just not worth, so don't do it.

I have had far too many riders wave me past because they have heard a vehicle come up behind them and they think it is safe. It might be if I was driving the Land Rover, but not a 40 foot long bus!

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
I would also like to bet that most riders over 40 have had a whiplash or similar injury at some point. It doesn't prevent you riding, just makes turning around like an owl very uncomfortable.

Oh, I'm well over 40, stiff in neck and I'm virtually blind in my right eye, BUT I still would be listening out and getting a companion to check.
It's called being responsible :)

pinkypug1

Visit site
I would never pass horses on the road unless I knew the riders had seen me behind them and I would NEVER pass a trotting horse no matter how wide the road was. I think it is irresponsible not to slow to a walk when traffic is passing from behind! It is the riders duty to keep a close eye on what is going on around them

J&S

Visit site
Please don't give a physical indication (other than pulling off the road) to a driver to pass you because this is when it can all go wrong. Let the driver make the decision that it is safe to go past you but by all means tell a driver to stop if it is not safe to go past you. If you wave a driver past and something happens, never mind any physical consequences it will get very messy liability wise. Just not worth, so don't do it.

I have had far too many riders wave me past because they have heard a vehicle come up behind them and they think it is safe. It might be if I was driving the Land Rover, but not a 40 foot long bus!

I agree, I indicate to the LEFT to show them where I am going. I do not wave traffic on PAST me! This could lead them into an accident.

Amirah

Visit site
Guys, please stop having a go at poor op. Most of us would get upset if we got ticked off through a wound down window, it probably felt a bit humiliating or embarrassing and I think she just wants a bit of sympathy rather than another telling off.

dogatemysalad

Visit site
Guys, please stop having a go at poor op. Most of us would get upset if we got ticked off through a wound down window, it probably felt a bit humiliating or embarrassing and I think she just wants a bit of sympathy rather than another telling off.

You're such a nice person. To the OPs credit, she has taken some rather too direct criticism very well and deserves respect for that. However, the thread has raised some good points which are a reminder for us all. I'm glad that some comments have talked about riders waving traffic on. I always cringe when I'm riding out with others and they wave cars on when the driver cannot see if it's clear or safe to overtake. Don't do it. A driver cannot overtake unless they can read the road.

scruffyponies

Visit site
I wonder if there is a post on an ambulance driver's forum complaining about a very rude horse riding lady that they had to remonstrate with..........

Only if a horse rider is rude for simply using a road now. Still, you can't win with some people. Wouldn't be surprised if the pedestrians complain if you pull onto the pavement to let an ambulance pass.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
it's not simply using a road though, if you're using it while knowingly not able to be fully aware of your surroundings.

I rarely pass a horse at trot, because they are already moving faster, if feels like you have to go far too fast to overtake them. Even if the horse is relaxed about traffic, things can go wrong so much faster if everyone is going quicker than necessary.

Occasionally I've been trotting and I can see that the road is totally clear and I've waved a driver on knowing there is space for everyone and they just need to be told it's OK. but that requires you to know they are there and waiting, and if they still hesitate then the only reasonable thing is to slow down/stop and let them pass IMO.

Reacher

Visit site
Agree with this. OP will probably be more aware in future and doesn’t need more people rebuking her