Rude/thoughtless things people say . . .

hayley.t

Visit site
ha ha, love some of the stories on here! I really used to let people get to me but now I just let it was over me (i'm not quite 30 but getting there! lol).

I do think its worse if its happening on your yard as it can be difficult to get away from and the yard should be where you can just enjoy your horse.

My best lesson was when I bought a lovely cob youngster and moved him to my friends yard where they breed coloured cobs, my friends husband told me that he would never do well in showing as his head was too big (sob!) and I worried about this even though lots of people told me it was jealousy etc. A few months later we all headed to a show and the classes were quite expensive if you weren't a member so my friend and her husband entered mine on their form, at the show none of their horses got placed whilst mine did, in quite a large class, i'll never forget the feeling when the husband commented that at least the stud would get its name in the paper as my cobs results were reported! definite feel good factor.

MungoMadness

Visit site
Normally it doesn't bother me, when I've shared at yards I've tended to keep myself to myself to avoid it all. Can normally ignore if when it's clearly someone just being a ****!

But at the beginning of the year, someone made a comment that upset me. I'd lost all my jumping confidence, and spent the summer having lessons and improved tonnes. Came back to uni and trialled for bucs teams (made them the previous year), jumping I was horrifically nervous. One intructors comment sheet was fine and completely justifiable, but the other said "can't see a stride, can't tell a canter stride", which I thought was not only extremely unfair when it was clear I was bricking myself, but also untrue. Anyway proved that was untrue by getting placed individually at every comp this year, 2nd, 6th, 8th and then finally got the 1st with some lovely comments from the judges.

lapetitebruyere

Visit site
It's really hard in the horsey world isn't it...

Am a newbie owner after a break for uni etc. Have had a few sharers whom I have encouraged to treat my boy as their own.

One sharer said how dare I teach my horse rein back to canter the week before her dressage test on him... Even though I was letting her school him all week - more than that in fact- and take my baby to his first ever show since owning him... Only reason she was riding and not me was due to her being able to source transport. But I still thought I was being really nice by letting her do this!

Current sharer says my boy makes her feel like she can't ride, so she has gone off licking her wounds around the yard, looking for sympathy and encouragement from other people and their horses. There's not a thing wrong with my boy - you just need to know the buttons to push and he's a star. This woman is riding him 3 times a week with no contributions - she could at least be tactful!

Don't suppose these seem that bad really - but sometimes I think people forget how precious your horse is to you and insulting it, especially if not in a constructive way, is really quite hurtful.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
There is a simple retort to nearly all of these -

"What a thoughtless, ignorant thing to say." Then turn on your heal and walk off.

It covers stupidity, lack of brain, you name it. You're just "saying what you think"!