Rugging - how did the horses of my youth survive ....

marmalade76

Visit site
I don't care if people want to wash tails twice a day/bag a tail up/how many rugs a horse wears, I do wish people would not say they HAVE to do those things cos they don't they want to and that is up to them as long as the horse is kept as a horse (turn out/equine company and good forage based diet) then why does every one get so het up about it?

Totally agree! This is what gets me too, 'my horse must have a tail bag/lycra hood/onesie/spend most of his time stabled because *insert reason that is anything but 'I do it simply 'cause it suits ME'*.

FionaM12

Visit site
Come back Cptrayes, I've got no one to disagree with me now!
If you can read this as a guest/visitor as I can't PM you anymore, have a good Xmas and drop me an email via my website, Oz

She's still here as Bubbleburster, which is no secret, she told everyone who she is on another thread. :)

Mrs McGoo

Visit site
I couldn't believe reading of people putting 800g of fill on their horses either, even if it's fully clipped. If they need that, surely they are being fed wrong?

I read a thread last week that horrified me too, about horses living their lives with tail bags on.

What are we doing to these creatures who are never allowed to whisk their tails or feel the breeze in their coat or the sun on their backs?

Have to agree with you on this one. My unclipped native - in the summer a gorgeous white grey - is a total mess. He does wear a light rug for turnout, as it is the only way I can cope with the mud in the saddle area. I do hack out lightly in the winter on a nice day, which we both enjoy. However, if I am asked which yard we are from, I always mention the very posh, full livery yard, close by. Do get some strange looks!! hehehe. However, I do wish he didn't do headstands in the field - removing mud behind the ears becomes an 'issue'!

The mane and tail are now black and tangled, instead of white and flowing. Couldn't bear the thought of my boy with a tailbag. And as for a hood - tried that once and lots of mane went awol. In the summer he goes commando. However, I have occasionally put on a pure cotton, old fashioned, summer sheet to keep the flies off. Doesn't seem to bother him. Putting plastic or synthetic rugs on doesn't appeal to me. Wouldn't like it on myself. I know, I know, I am not a horse. But still...........