Rugs, rugs and more rugs

mossycup

Visit site
Which rugs do you rate? Currently rug shopping for new ponio (TB) and thought you guys might be able to share your opinions! Do you prefer individual weighted rugs, or a rug + liner combo?

Ossy2

Visit site
For turnout I’m a recent convert to Rambos, expensive but oh my so worth it. I have amigos as stable rugs and use the liner system on both the Rambo and amigos find them light weight and flexible.
Not a fan of premier equine just find them really heavy even the “light” weight rugs.
For a more economic on the wallet then I’m a weatherbeeta fan also.

TPO

Visit site
Hate Premier Equine. Very heavy rugs that fall apart and the customer service is non existent.

I've been really impressed by Shires rugs the past 5 or so years.

Weatherbeeta is an old faithful and I especially like their comfitec system in their new rugs.

I never used to be a fan of Masta, and their basic range arent a great fit on any of mine when I've tried them, but I have their medium weight fieldmasta rug (the dome neck to stop rubbing) and it's been a fantastic rug

claret09

Visit site
love rambo's but it does depend on your horse's shape and build as to what suits. my boy finds shires rugs are far too big round the shoulder, weatherbeaters are similarly too big. masta's are too short on him

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
I have Rhinos for my two with the liner system and Amigo Insulator stable rugs however I needed a heavier weight stable rug and have just bought a Thermo Master from Kramer which arrives tomorrow. At just over £30 in the sale I thought I would try it, if it’s no good then I will get another Amigo.

The Horseware rugs are well made, lightweight, the liners easy to wash, quick to dry and they fit both horses really well even though one has big shoulders and is broad and the other is narrower.

Quigleyandme

Visit site
I personally favour modular systems with liners of various weights and removable neck covers. I like being able to have a clean and dry liner next to my horses’ skin and just one turnout to be laundered and proofed annually. The liners fit in the washing machine and dry quickly.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Rambos for my herd, they fit well and never let me down. For economy and ease of cleaning I prefer a lw outer and liners which covers all eventualities.

Jeni the dragon

Visit site
I've got Rambos for Thena. They fit her really well, and last amazingly. Do tend to keep an eye on sales as you can get a bargain.
Rog wore Amigos, as they fitted him perfectly. The odd Rambo was okay but they tended to swamp his dinky frame. Not as cheap as they used to be but still a great rug for the price.
I have far too many rugs but I have a very serious addiction to buying them!

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
I like Shires too think most of my multiple rugs are made by them. Find they fit nicely round his shoulders as they tend to have that triangle which seems to make them a better fit.

I love rug shopping but have been budgeting so haven't bought any for ages

Rug shopping is far more fun than clothes shopping!

Visit site
Ruggles are brilliant, I dont buy any other rugs these days. I have got two Gallop waterproof fly rugs that were bought years ago that are still looking really good.

You don't need to spend a fortune on rugs, what you do need to do is look at the quality of the fabric and how they are made. I come from a family of tailoresses and I use the same principle on clothes. Its not the brand or the latest fashion styles that count, its the fabrics and manufacture quality.

lannerch

Visit site
I love my premier equine, real quality although the heavyWeight outdoor turnouts are heavy, mine certainly have not fallen apart, I have had my lighter weight out door turnout for over 8 years, it’s faded in colour but no rips tears , loss of legs straps and still totally waterproof .

MarvelVillis

Visit site
I've got a WBxTB and I only buy Horseware rugs as they fit him well and I like the quality. I've recently bought him 2 x 1600D turnout rugs for winter, which should last him a good few years. One of them is a no fill, the other is 200g, but I also have a 200g liner if I ever need it. I also don't bother with stable rugs as I don't like that they're not waterproof - this winter when he's brought in, I'll leave him in his turnout if it's not too wet, otherwise I'll change him into an old turnout rug with the liner if needed.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I buy shires or weatherbeeta for mine they fit nicely and last well, shires do the liner system now on the tempest range and they are well priced I bought two 50g rugs just before last winter, they stood up to all the rain we had and never leaked I was quite impressed.

dogatemysalad

Visit site
Rambo and Rhino mostly these days. Really don't like Premier Equine, they're too heavy and the lightweight TO was so heavy to take off after rain, that I had a drag it off his back.
Bucas are lovely rugs but sadly don't suit any of the horses I've had.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I aim for Rambo. I’d rather a decent second hand one than a cheaper rug, that said I have a few spares and quite like Shires but I’m not sure how long they stay waterproof for. (Only have the cheapo ones)
Also have a few Rhinos and an Amigo hero 12 which is a nice rug for half the price!

pansymouse

Visit site
I used to like PE but their quality has nose dived so I'm switching to Buccas as I need to replace the old PEs - I'm not a rug hoarder so I'm not getting new for the sake of it! I only ever use rugging systems as I like to fine tune the level of protection she has.

Otherwise

Visit site
Generally a big fan of rambo, weatherbeeta and shires. Bucas are nice if they fit, if I had the money and was starting from scratch I'd have the sun shower and a couple of the smartex turnouts. I don't like the bucas fly rug though, I prefer the rambo or amigo ones. I really don't like premier equine for turnouts, they are unbelievably heavy when wet and I've known a couple of their lightweights to leak like a sieve brand-new, premier equine didn't want to know. They're also overpriced as they regularly have 20% off 'sales' which is really what their regular price should be.

I prefer the liner systems, I like that I can pop the liners in the washing machine as I don't generally get my turnouts washed. I don't bother with stable rugs unless I plan to use them as a liner under a waterproof rug, they end up stinking and gross to handle unless your horse is exceptionally clean and has a big stable. If they're in I use a turnout and then when it gets too grotty on the outside I turnout in it when it rains to wash it.

jumbyjack

Visit site
I used Weatherbeeta for big horse, they fitted her really well and were hard wearing. Shetlands use Ruggles, again a good fit.

Widgeon

Visit site
Jumping on this thread - but can anyone suggest a good under-rug? I have a mixed collection of turnouts (so I can't just go for one nice neat liner system) and rather than have them stinking all winter I'd like to put something underneath them that I can wash in the machine.

Any ideas? Snuggy Hoods seem to do one but it's expensive and I don't want to spend that much money unless I've got a few people to tell me it's worth it.

Starzaan

Visit site
I love Weatherbeeta and Rambo.
Just a not for all those saying they love the ComFiTec range - ALL Weatherbeeta turnout rugs made since the launch of ComFiTec in 2016 are Weatherbeeta ComFiTec. Think of it as the brand name, then you get your categories which go up in price and features from the bottom which is Classic, then Essential, Plus Dynamic, Premier (which incorporates Premier Free, Premier Trio, Premier Therapy-Tec), and finally Ultra (which incorporates Ultra Tough and Ultra Cozi).
I used to work for WB as an account manager, selling all their brands to retailers, and the ComFiTec launch never seems to have been properly explained to end consumers.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
I love Weatherbeeta and Rambo.
Just a not for all those saying they love the ComFiTec range - ALL Weatherbeeta turnout rugs made since the launch of ComFiTec in 2016 are Weatherbeeta ComFiTec. Think of it as the brand name, then you get your categories which go up in price and features from the bottom which is Classic, then Essential, Plus Dynamic, Premier (which incorporates Premier Free, Premier Trio, Premier Therapy-Tec), and finally Ultra (which incorporates Ultra Tough and Ultra Cozi).
I used to work for WB as an account manager, selling all their brands to retailers, and the ComFiTec launch never seems to have been properly explained to end consumers.
Thanks missus, I admit I got confused about the range.
My preference is for clips at the front and a high denier outer. I think that's the plus dynamic?