Rugs - weights & temp

Jnhuk

Visit site
My guys (ISH and IDx) have a tracer clip and they are toasty warm in a 50g turnout. Good frost this morning - frosticles on mane/tails/ear hair this morning but boys all cosy so I am not feeling guilt although despite my horsey neighbour using heavy weights on her two finer types. My guys live out near 24/7 as I can.

Car said minus 7 when got in it to head to work about 8am so suspect been reasonably cold last night.

So thought it may be interesting to see what the variety in rugging is?

So, what is your temp and what are your horses wearing?

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
It was -7 with us to (not far from you). One is naked and very frosty, one is unclipped and in a full neck 100g and he was fine-he has no coat really (lusitano). I thought he might be cold this weekend but he's been fine but there's been no wind. Tonight will be pretty windy and snowy so will probably bring them in to the byre and reassess rug weight in the morning depending on weather.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I think this one has potential to run and run! Rugging threads always seem to, lol ;)

Mine are in :( 2 days of peeing rain will turn the fields to mush and they haven't any grass.

Much further south and it's about 4 degrees today, both are clipped. The oldie is in 300g and my welsh who is a hot person is in 150g. Same overnight at the mo as they have indoor stables so it's a touch warmer than outdoors.

TGM

Visit site
We are down south so a bit warmer, was very wet the last couple of days, but had a couple of frosts last week. Two of our horses are KWPN x Selle Francais - the older horse (who hunts/events) has literally just been hunter clipped so gone into a heavyweight combo. The youngster is turned away for the winter, is unclipped and naked. The ID x Anglo Arab has a blanket clip and is in a 350g under-rug with a lightweight turnout on top. They are all out most nights.

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
This season so far seems to have been a bit tricky WRT rugging. One day I'm telling YO that my (blanket clipped Connie type who tends to be on the warm side) can go out naked because it's sunny and warm, then it seems within a couple of days he's back in a 200g with full neck!

ATM it's around 3degC here during the day and colder at night. Today it's also v windy with pretty much constant torrential rain. I'd be surprised if they've been turned out today bar a turn in the leg-stretch-paddock (similar situation to MP above - not much grass and fields that will turn to mush) but YO has hacked him so he's at least been out. He'll be in his 200g full neck ATM.

Mine is perfectly happy out in minus degrees with a pile of haylage but in this sort of weather, he'd rather stay in! He will go out to stretch his legs for a couple of hours but even with haylage, he'll just stand around looking miserable waiting to be brought back in. He's not a very good native as he hates the rain - I find I tend to need to rug him up more in the rain than when it's freezing cold but dry and still.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
He's not a very good native as he hates the rain - I find I tend to need to rug him up more in the rain than when it's freezing cold but dry and still.

Yes, Kira is the same- she's fine if it's dry and as cold as you like, but she gets very sorry in the rain.

Antw23uk

Visit site
My ISH is in a 100g turnout and I added the neck when the rains came ... and boy have they come! He is out 24/7 and was toasty warm when I checked him this morning. He has plenty of grass left.

Mongoose11

Visit site
Fully clipped cob (freshly clipped) was in her stable (fairly open) in a thin fleece last night and it went down to 2; she was fine. She's out in a rain sheet in the day and won't go up to a fill until it gets down to 2 in the day.

only_me

Visit site
Bill is out 24/7 and unclipped, had 50g half neck last week and changed to normal cut 100g last Wednesday as weather was forecast to be very cold.

Weather temps last few nights have been -4 and during day has been around freezing, after breaking the ice in his water barrel it had refrozen 4 hours later!!

Currently considering adding a 50g under his turnout as it's so cold. Holding off atm though as he's a fat boy lol

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
I have five horses here at the moment and only one is mine, the rest are full livery. So owners will express a preference for rugging, which I abide by. My fine youngster is in 100g stable rugs at the moment and normally a 100g turnout without necks. However, due to the very heavy rain and wind here today, she is out in a 300g with a neck as it's the only one I have with a neck and she does get cold in a standard neck if it is very heavy rain and cold. I've just ordered her a 200g one with neck. I always change her into stable rugs even if the outdoor rug is very wet because she rolls and it just messes the rugs up no end. I have a trace clipped IDx here who is in 100g rugs at the moment. A very fine coated warmblood who is in either a 100g or 200g with or without neck depending on the weather. Another overweight WB who is in 100g rugs without necks, and one ID cross who is in 400g with neck plus a fleece if it's below 5 degrees. (Not my horse and owner's choice of rugging).

None are clipped apart from the one I mentioned.

KAZJAZ

Visit site
crikey, I feel like I'm over rugging but she is a cold bean! She's fully clipped and is WBxISH, stabled at night, out daily.

all weekend its been cold here 0/1 degree and a slight breeze she's been out about 8.30am and in at 3.30, wearing a 250g med weight rug with 100g liner.

this morning it was -5 and as I'm at work she's out from 6am and will be in at 4pm so she has her 350g heavy weight with 100g liner.

she's in ideal condition for her as she's naturally lean, hasn't lost nor gained weight, she does feel the cold and can drop quickly so for her I must be getting it right.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Normally so far this this autumn my retired diva sports horse mare and my ID/cob (both unclipped) are out 24/7 in their new 100g fill no neck Rambo rugs - brilliant things. The ID/cob looks as though she should cope fine without rugging but she definitely prefers to wear one, lol.

Today its 4c, torrential rain and blowing a gale. I was waxing lyrical to myself earlier today at how easy it is these days to ramp up the rugging briefly for a foul day such as today. Same outer rugs, but this morning I put on each horse an additional 100g liner and a 150g or 100g hood. They are happily out grazing in the open where I moved the strip fence earlier.

I'm a bit late to the attachable liner and hood brigade, as most of my old rugs were ancient and didn't have the attachment points, but they are fab.

Last edited:

ff93

Visit site
I hate the decision of rugging! I'm always in a dilemma every night at the moment as the temperature seems to be varying so much. I have two both fully clipped (legs still on). My tbxwb is wearing a 300g turn out combo - She has the neck back during the day and on at night and my other one, who is an idx was clipped beginning of October so is a bit hairy again, but she is wearing a 300g turnout with no neck. Both of them are in as the weather has been so bad.
Last week we had an over night temperature of 12 degrees C one night and 0 degrees C another! I seem to have so many dirty rugs already this year, but thankfully we now have a yard washing machine!

Merrymoles

Visit site
Unclipped cob, usually warm, in light work (until I find time to clip him) and has been in either rain sheet or 100gm (no necks) all autumn until this weekend when my friend who turned him out Saturday morning found he was a bit chilly so he's now in 150gm. I think she made the right call as he's definitely dropped some weight in the past fortnight (but could afford to) although I would probably have left him in the 100gm. Despite the shift up a bit, he's not overly warm.

Her horse, who is a 24-year-old ID, definitely needs more rugging and is already showing some ribs, despite a big belly, so has been in 250gm with a neck. He, too, will be clipped in due course and will likely go into a 350gm at that stage. Both will have the minimum clip we can get away with.

They have excellent grazing with loads of grass and plenty of haylage overnight but the reducing quality of the grass is starting to show now. They are keen to come in at night and hungry when they do so I'm placing less reliance on the central heating effect of the grazing.

frostyfingers

Visit site
It's so tricky at the moment with the huge variation in temperatures. My fully clipped hunter is normally out 24/7 in his medium weight turnout with a neck cover plus his full snuggy hood which is generally fine. The last few times when it has been cold I've been expecting him to be chilly but he's not, however this morning after a night of full on gales and driving rain he was definitely on the cool side so I've brought him in to the yard to get him out of the wind and put on his Weatherbeeta heavy weight rug. Once he's had a break and is warm again I'll put him back out, much to his relief. His companion who is a naked Section A was miserable this morning and shaking so he's in as well to dry out a bit and warm up too. Big horse wasn't especially happy about being in and I suspect he'll be out on the yard rather than under cover but at least he's out of the worst of the wind.

Supertrooper

Visit site
13.2hh pony, not rugged at all in winter unless I find him shaking and very miserable.

First winter I had him I didn't rug him once, last year I rugged him twice for approx 5hrs just to dry him off as found him shaking. This was in Feb/March time though after months of rain and storms. Can only think he'd started to drop some coat.

I don't clip him and although he has a field shelter he doesn't go in there unless I put his hay in.

This morning after a night of torrential rain, that's only just stopping now he was drowned but not shaking etc. Gave him a good load of hay in field shelter and left him to it.

I have to be tough as not rugging him is my main way to get him to drop weight before spring which he always does.

I just have to ignore the drowned woolly mammoth look 😝😝

scats

Visit site
5degrees here today- heavy rain all day and windy. ISH and cob X have been out in medium weights - ISH neck and chest clip and cob has a hunter clip.

In at night- ISH in a medium weight and cob in a medium weight with a 150g liner.

Give me freezing, crisp winters over this horrendous weather any day.

Jo1987

Visit site
I have one in a 200g standard neck - cob with a trace clip. I don't think he'd have been too warm in a 300g but he wasn't freezing so I left him as he was!
The other is a 26 yr old fell x, he was in a 250g half neck and insisted on being changed to a 350g full neck, wouldn't go back in the field after I'd fed him until I swapped his rug 😂
It has been really wet and blowing a gale here today, I will try and swap back to his medium if it's dry tomorrow!

Louby

Visit site
Rugs dilemmas lol, always the hot topic of conversation on our yard :) My TB x horse is currently unclipped as has been out of work due to a kick injury and has been in a 50g with neck whilst its been cold, but got to the yard this morning and it was blowing a gale and freezing and she felt a bit cold. She is in at night but her stable gets the brunt of the weather when its windy so tonight Ive put 200g MW on with the 50g neck. Love rugs with detachable necks so I can mix and match. Ive been resisting buying a 100g rug as Ive just so many rugs but I wish I had as I think that would be perfect for now. Just hope shes not too warm!!

Kylara

Visit site
One in sheet and medium (200g) stable with neck in stable and a heavy combo when out (350g I think), he's fully clipped and we are windy. Mare has sheet and medium (200g) stable with heavy (300g) neck in stable, but on colder nights has a medium (200g) duvet as well as she is in rather than out at the minute until new field friend can be found. In a heavy combo in field (350g) but might get a field duvet underneath when she goes back out at night when it gets chilly. She is also fully clipped and whilst not a chilly horse, she's not toasty like the gelding. Others are unclipped and either naked, naked but with a rain sheet or have lightweights - none with more than a bib clip.

PorkChop

Visit site
Depends on the horse of course!

We have one unclipped who is naked because she is overweight and not in work.

The other two are clipped, both feel the cold. One in a heavyweight with neck when out, and one in a 200g with neck when out but tbh they could probably do with another 100g liner added, but as they are both a good weight I am holding off atm.

North East Scotland, cold and frosty :)

Limbo1

Visit site
MIne are in as follows:

Warmblood mare 250 turnout
Dartmoor x Exmoor no fill
NF 75 g turnout

All not clipped and have no necks. Live out but have succumbed and put mare and Dart x in as fields so wet tonight.

rachk89

Visit site
My horse is currently unclipped (clipping on Wednesday hopefully), comes in at night and has a 200g rug without neck on. Dunno what its been getting down to here at night, but it was -7 the other morning. Not been above 0 for about a week now I think. Dont actually know how he is gonna cope once clipped, may be needing the heavyweights after that as he's very much a wimp and he'll lose weight quickly if he's cold.

Goldenstar

Visit site
It's a mix here .they are all clipped .
C ( a fine near TB )a a very warm heavy weight outdoor and a lovely puffy light 450 g stable rug
H ( ID ) heavy wieght outdoor rug and a heavy wieght stable rug he feels the cold .
Fatty ( ID )100 gramme PE outdoor rug ( they are warm rugs ) but a heavy weight stable rug he feels the cold in the stable .
J ( TB ) 100 gram PE outdoor rug medium weight stable rug .
All outdoor rugs have hoods no hoods at night yet .
J lives on a different yard to the other three his stable is indoors and it's warmer .
You need to rug with each horse in each situation in mind .
Tatts is standing still in cast he was clipped but it grown in a lot he's wearing a confort zone with a hood on at night , but you need to watch him as he gets hot then cold because he's stressed hence using the wicking rug .

ShadowHunter

Visit site
Both mine have been clipped but growing out, no plans to reclip either as not in work.

Fat cob, try and rug as lightly as possible. Naked today and currently; was in 100g last night. In the past few weeks it's varied from naked to 200g.
Warmblood, average/poor doer currently in a 350g with neck and has been for the past few days. Hoping to move back into a 250g when the temp rises above 5 degrees.

Temp wise last few days its been around -4 at night and just freezing during the day. Todays torrential rain and 40mph winds have been stupid.. I'd take cold and dry any day.

SEL

Visit site
Today was the first time in 12 months I've thrown a rug on the woolly mammoth. 200g as I hadn't realised his rain sheet needed repairing.

It was just so, so wet. I need to ride him tomorrow and his thick coat just doesn't dry out when he's been properly soaked.

He seemed pretty happy to be rugged & it came back without being torn to shreds which made me happy.

doodle

Visit site
Mine isn't clipped. In at night out in the day. It is currently about -1 in the day and was -6 at 9am. He has a 300grn combo on in the day and a 375grm stable at night. I am not used to having a horse with such little rugging! When I got him in Feb he was fully clipped and in 600grms but he isn't clipped at all, is quite tubby and is warm enough.

muckypony

Visit site
My Welsh is a total wimp :rolleyes: he's fully clipped and has been in a 100g & 300g during the day, and a light poly and a heavier poly at night which are probably the same weight. Tonight I refused and just put the heavier poly on - he will man up!! I don't do neck pieces though, so if he does get warm I think he can 'air' better than in a combo.

My two Shetlands however are naked 24/7/365!!