Rules... livery yards

Caol Ila

Visit site
So in some of my numerous yard hunting trips, I've found a yard that doesn't allow horse owners to come see their horses on Mondays. One that doesn't allow treed saddles or shod horses. One that only allows liveries to use the arena for like one hour a day (and tough sh1t if your job or other commitments don't fit that hour).

As per my other thread, finding one less crazy than the current one is a difficult task.

Hollychops

Visit site
I moved my horse to a yard to be advised when i got there that i could either turn out for the day or night and not both during summer. Owner looked quite shocked when i reiterated that i had specifically requested 24/7 turn out, 'Not going to happen' she said. She wasnt impressed when i got back in the box and took him back to his previous yard, fortunately the yard owner had transported him and were happy to have him back. He didnt even get off the box!

Orchard14

Visit site
I moved my horse to a yard to be advised when i got there that i could either turn out for the day or night and not both during summer. Owner looked quite shocked when i reiterated that i had specifically requested 24/7 turn out, 'Not going to happen' she said. She wasnt impressed when i got back in the box and took him back to his previous yard, fortunately the yard owner had transported him and were happy to have him back. He didnt even get off the box!

I don't blame you, I would be doing the exact same. 24/7 turnout for the summer is such a nice, well-needed break and probably the only thing that keeps me sane.

Morgan123

Visit site
I was on a dressage yard once with the concrete-washing thing, standard arena-is-too-nice-to-lunge-in, and you also had to wash wheelbarrows after using them. And the staff had to clean the stable walls with a cloth once a week to get off any grease/poo stains.

But the worst bit for me was that my (field-kept) horses stopped being allowed to be tied up on the yard in case they made the (stabled) dressage horses neigh!! There had been no issues with any of them getting upset about seeing my horses or mine winding them up - and the dressage lot were competition horses who should be used to seeing different horses at competitions (which were also held on the yard!)! Very obtuse YM. I was mega glad to leave, despite the beautiful facilities.

I've also been on a DIY yard which had several teenage owners, and the YM there suddenly announced one day that nobody under 16 was allowed in the fields without an adult accompanying them, which caused a lot of problems for all the kids who'd been doing this for years (relatively responsibly I might add!).

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Not sure if this one is weird but certainly seems a bit anally retentive.. my friend was on a yard that insisted you picked the horse’s feet out by the entrance to the outdoor arena and then again when you left the arena. My friend forgot a couple of times and was chucked off because of it. Well that’s what she told me :p

I have been on a yard where this was one ridiculous rule, wasn't in Essex was it:p

Another rule on the same yard was all liveries went on a Rota to sweep the yard in the evening, although it was hovered everyday anyway !! If horse did droppings in the school you had to get off immediately and pick them up not allowed to wait until your finished.

dollymix

Visit site
I’m going to be a bit of a bore here and before I am, I’ll say that I am NOT a livery yard owner, just a regular DIYer

Most of the rules mentioned in this thread are perfectly reasonable. Livery yards are BUSINESSES... having structure or “rules” is how they keep on top of things and keep costs down.

Whilst it’s great to be able to help one another out on a livery yard, I can understand why some YOs would insist on using their services. It’s how they make money to keep the yard open in the first place. Especially if it’s not just DIY livery. If they offer other livery options such as part or full they are likely to employ staff and they need to be paid too.

The neat freak in me also likes the yards that insist on cleaning up droppings (although if you’re on board, once you get back from riding is reasonable) and insist on use of rug racks etc. I think the tidier a yard is, the safer it is for the horses and nothing is nicer than a neat and tidy yard! (Wish I had the same rules in my own home haha).

I probably sound like such a kill-joy and I agree there are some ridiculous “rules” mentioned above... but a lot are more than reasonable in my mind.

Just my humble opinion of course :)

Auslander

Visit site
Spot on Dollymix!
I am a YO, and I'm sure that some of my rules might come across as a bit draconian - but this is my home and my business, and I don't think it's unreasonable that I like it to be immaculate. It's a new build yard, and I work very hard to make sure it looks lovely. I do moan about things like the muck skip - because it costs me £180 a time to get it emptied, so it's important that it's squared off and stamped down properly. I spend £700 a month on hay, so that every horse can have as much as it needs, and never runs out - so it winds me up when it's dropped all over the place. I get ratty when the yard isn't swept/beds aren't mucked out properly at weekends (all 5 day part liveries), and the fields/pens aren't poo picked - because I'm the one who has to spend hours on a Monday sorting everything out so the place is as I want it.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Off subject slightly as this is what a livery used to do everyday and and I know this as I worked on the yard so saw it, after mucking out she would scrub wheelbarrow all the tools then dry them with a hairdryer I kid you not, and if her hair got wet she would blow dry it in the tack room, same livery didn't work so would be up the yard all day faffing with her horse then pick her 5 year old daughter up from school come back up yard wait until 5.30 to bring horse in and often wouldn't leave until 7, that poor little girl would be in her car crying of the cold in winter I felt so sorry for her, I never understood why she had to stay so late seen as she used to be there all day anyway weird!

hollyandivy123

Visit site
for one of the annoying rules is not really a rule...............it is when all liveries are not treated the same, as in some have more privilege than others. if you are paying the same for your stable and the facilities, then it should not mater that you only hack, do trec and are not aiming for Badder's. you have the same right to the wash box, school etc as you are paying the same amount of money.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I was on a dressage yard once with the concrete-washing thing, standard arena-is-too-nice-to-lunge-in, and you also had to wash wheelbarrows after using them. And the staff had to clean the stable walls with a cloth once a week to get off any grease/poo stains.

But the worst bit for me was that my (field-kept) horses stopped being allowed to be tied up on the yard in case they made the (stabled) dressage horses neigh!! There had been no issues with any of them getting upset about seeing my horses or mine winding them up - and the dressage lot were competition horses who should be used to seeing different horses at competitions (which were also held on the yard!)! Very obtuse YM. I was mega glad to leave, despite the beautiful facilities.

I've also been on a DIY yard which had several teenage owners, and the YM there suddenly announced one day that nobody under 16 was allowed in the fields without an adult accompanying them, which caused a lot of problems for all the kids who'd been doing this for years (relatively responsibly I might add!).

See I think walking into a field with horses is probably one of the most dangerous things you can do, there loose anything can happen so I agree about not allowing kids to fetch horses in alone, I know if I am in my field I am really careful and am aware where they are all the time, a lot of the time horses don't mean to hurt you but they can easily run into you if something sets them off.

vickie123

Visit site
To be honest I never realised the picking out feet after coming out of the school was to save the surface, I totally understand now as it is very expensive I thought it was because they didn't want it on the yard, you learn something everyday.
The yard I mentioned was in Warwickshire. I should have pointed out that my friend had to pick out the feet on the yard (as you would) and then walk the 50 yards to the arena and do them again. That was what I thought was a bit over the top. Having read some of the replies I can now understand why you would do it leaving the school so apologies to those who have this rule that I might have offended.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
The yard I mentioned was in Warwickshire. I should have pointed out that my friend had to pick out the feet on the yard (as you would) and then walk the 50 yards to the arena and do them again. That was what I thought was a bit over the top. Having read some of the replies I can now understand why you would do it leaving the school so apologies to those who have this rule that I might have offended.

Yeah see what you mean that is a bit over the top.

chocolategirl

Visit site
I’m going to be a bit of a bore here and before I am, I’ll say that I am NOT a livery yard owner, just a regular DIYer

Most of the rules mentioned in this thread are perfectly reasonable. Livery yards are BUSINESSES... having structure or “rules” is how they keep on top of things and keep costs down.

Whilst it’s great to be able to help one another out on a livery yard, I can understand why some YOs would insist on using their services. It’s how they make money to keep the yard open in the first place. Especially if it’s not just DIY livery. If they offer other livery options such as part or full they are likely to employ staff and they need to be paid too.

The neat freak in me also likes the yards that insist on cleaning up droppings (although if you’re on board, once you get back from riding is reasonable) and insist on use of rug racks etc. I think the tidier a yard is, the safer it is for the horses and nothing is nicer than a neat and tidy yard! (Wish I had the same rules in my own home haha).

I probably sound like such a kill-joy and I agree there are some ridiculous “rules” mentioned above... but a lot are more than reasonable in my mind.

Just my humble opinion of course :)
Here here! Thank you for giving an honest opinion from the other side of the fence, so to speak. I’m a YO, and yes you’re absolutely right that these rules are put in place to ensure everyone’s, safety and enjoyment, and of course the yard has to try and make some money otherwise there’s no point staying open is there? I don’t allow clients to handle each other’s horses, unless they are from the same family, as apart from the extra income for me, I also have insurance which covers me to handle clients horses. This is not cheap, but I either have and use it to the max, or I don’t have it, and I don't do any services at all. I agree some yards rules appear petty, however, if clients were in the YO’s shoes, I’m certain they wouldn’t think so. I think livery clients need to be very careful about the way they judge such matters. We live in an extremely litigious society these days, and livery yards are a prime target for litigation, due to the very nature of the dangers associated with horses etc. It is encumbent on ALL involved, to make sure rules are followed for everyone’s sake. So many yards are closing for the very reasons I have mentioned, so if you want to be on a nice, tidy, safe yard with decent facilities, you should expect to pay a little more. The yards where standards are below par, where there are few, or even no rules, are only in existence because people turn a blind eye in order to get cheap accommodation for their horse, which is fine, UNTILL there’s an accident 😏 then the owner is up in arms. 😏

sportsmansB

Visit site
I do understand why some yards don't let DIY'ers do each others horses.
If there is a mix up and someone doesn't come up and two horses are left out / standing in with no food / in a bed of s**t, its the YO who will have to sort it but they won't have planned in the time to do it. They may still be able to charge after the fact but that is not the point
Different maybe if it is two people with a longstanding arrangement (one turns out and one brings in for example) - but informally trading favours on an ad hoc basis if either isn't completely reliable could lead to issues which impact on the horses / the yard - and if I was the YO I wouldn't be happy with that.

I'm lucky to be on a yard with few major rules, but the yard very much do things their way and we slot in - which suits me fine as all their horses are well looked after and in good shape. It might not suit someone with very specific requirements or unusual requests. Out of courtesy I would never leave droppings in the school, or a mess or stuff outside my stable. There is no clear rule about it but its just common sense and manners.

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
Rules are OK, so long as:
  1. they are applied consistently (not variably from one day to the next or from one person to the next),
  2. they are explained in a manner that people understand or are self-evident,
  3. they are not introduced suddenly or without communication,
  4. they are fair and reasonable.
The best kind of rule is one that is short, clearly worded and unambiguous, whose reason for existing is understandable, and which has clearly worded exceptions for when conditions make it impossible to follow it.

I don't have my own horse, so I'm spared most of the annoyances that I've seen on this thread, but I have run into rules and laws elsewhere, like we all have, I suppose, in school, work, on the roads... and had a few minor problems at the yard where I go every week for lessons.

Things like:
  • "if you pick out feet outside the stable, you have to sweep up"... but there are no brooms. When the new manager took over, he bought in about six straw brooms with bamboo handles. They've all worn out or been broken, and not replaced.
  • "if your horse poops outside the stable, you have to scoop it up and put it in the poop bin"... but like the brooms, as scoops and rakes have got broken or lost, they've not been replaced, so now there are about three of them. And the poop bins are full to overflowing, so when you try to pile on even more, it rolls off onto the ground. Well, at least it's next to the bin, and not in the pathway.
  • "no smoking inside the yard"... and then the manager gets photographer in once a year, and he stands in teh middle of the arena puffing away on his roll-ups while snapping away. At least the instructors have the manners and sense to go around the back of the office, well away from the hay and straw and from the non-smokers (I'm including the horses in this last group).

Keith_Beef

Visit site
On my last yard we eventually worked out between us that we were all paying different amounts for the same thing, seemingly on how much the YO thought she could get away with charging each person. Tip of the iceberg.

How very modern. It's called yield maximisation, and the airlines and hotel-booking platforms do it to us at every opportunity.

blood_magik

Visit site
My wheelbarrows are washed out every day 😳

Not a livery yard but we hire out our indoor arena. My rules are:

- no lunging. I tend to have two or three hires a night and don’t have time to harrow in between sessions. Plus, it would massively increase the amount of diesel used if I was using the tractor multiple times a day.

- hats and suitable footwear must be worn while mounted.

- feet must be picked out/clean before entering the arena.

- poo must be lifted and not just the big bits - no excuses as I tell everyone that I’d rather lose a bit of surface than have poo left to degrade the wax. I have had to threaten to fine people £10 for not cleaning up after themselves.

- if you break something, report it to a member of staff.

- do not move the jumps/adjust distances. I pay an FEI coursebuilder to put up a course every month and I’ve found that a fair number of the people don’t know how to adjust the Oxers without changing the distance. I’m quite happy for people to take fillers out if needed, though.

- no entry to the barn without permission.

The last livery yard I was on insisted that everyone’s horses were immaculately groomed before we rode in the main indoor arena as it was overlooked by the restaurant.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Seems a shame for the short arse ponies :p but can understand as soo many people don't know what they are doing with fences.

blood_magik

Visit site
To be fair, at UA comps ponies are expected to fit in with the horse striding 🤷‍♀️
Visiting trainers will sometimes move the fences but they always put them back, which is not an issue 🙂

I’ve had a six stride distance reduced to four and a little bit in the past because people kept moving the wrong part of the oxer - good thing I always walk my distances before I jump the course myself 🙈 (Plus, I paid £10 for that fence to be in that particular spot 😄).

blitznbobs

Visit site
Off subject slightly as this is what a livery used to do everyday and and I know this as I worked on the yard so saw it, after mucking out she would scrub wheelbarrow all the tools then dry them with a hairdryer I kid you not, and if her hair got wet she would blow dry it in the tack room, same livery didn't work so would be up the yard all day faffing with her horse then pick her 5 year old daughter up from school come back up yard wait until 5.30 to bring horse in and often wouldn't leave until 7, that poor little girl would be in her car crying of the cold in winter I felt so sorry for her, I never understood why she had to stay so late seen as she used to be there all day anyway weird!
Sounds like she had ocd

Keith_Beef

Visit site
that poor little girl would be in her car crying of the cold in winter I felt so sorry for her, I never understood why she had to stay so late seen as she used to be there all day anyway weird!

I was up on a glacier in Iceland a couple of weeks ago. Not really cold, only -2°C, but a howling wind. A couple had brought their daughter on the trip in totally unsuitable clothing and she was complaining about feeling cold and starting to cry...

Some parents put their own leisure interests ahead of their children's welfare.

charlie76

Visit site
So, from the other side, I have a livery yard, it's an American barn set up but the corridor between the stables on either side are very narrow so not really any room to tie outside. Horses can be tied inside or outside the wash box to be shot or clipped or tacked up if not too many horses about. Otherwise they are groomed and tacked up in the stable to prevent accidents and to enable others to get to and from the arena.

Other rules are...
Hoof pick before leaving the arenas or stable
Hoof pick before coming into the barn
Wash box and walker to be cleaned after use
Droppings picked up asap and swept, not just the surface scraped off!
Droppings in the arena picked up fully, otherwise it wreck the surface!
Clear up after you
Shut gates behind you
Turn off lights when not in use
Empty barrows and skips after use
Hang tools up on the books not in the floor
Last person to lock up
Don't leave the tap running
Lunging in the indoor arena only, it's only small.
Spilt feed to be swept up to prevent vermin.

Ours are all inclusive of hay and straw but they cannot help themselves.

They are only allowed turn out boots and headcollars outside stables and all ropes have to be rolled up and headcollars hung up by the head piece
They aren't allowed boxes outside as the doors slide and you can't open them with stuff outside so all have a storage box in a storage area.

joosie

Visit site
fYes I agree with the posts from Dollymix and the others posting from the other side of the fence. A lot of the "rules" being mentioned here are just common sense to me! As a groom I do most of this stuff as a matter of course in every yard I work at. What doesn't make sense to a livery - who is, after all, primarily on the yard to spend time with and enjoy their horse - makes perfect sense to yard owners and staff. Especially if your yard is also your home!

Horses can be tied inside or outside the wash box to be shot

I do hope this was a typo :p