Running backwards/napping

I don’t like mondays

Visit site
My daughter has a pony on trial and he’s very sweet and honest in lots of ways and also seems very level headed, not speedy or spooky. The last couple of rides when he’s not be sure of something he’s planted. When my daughter has applied leg to move him forward he’s started going backwards, she’s put her hands forward and encouraged with leg and he goes backwards more. Yesterday this was happening at the gate at an arena hire, she tried turning his hind legs and circling and this worked, then he did it again and did a little bunny hop (a mini rear). Teeth and back have been checked, will get saddle he came with checked. We also have an instructor who is small enough to ride him regularly for us. He hasn’t done this with her. My question is, is this just standard napping or does it show a predisposition to rearing? 99% of the time he’s good as gold. Pony is on trial so just weighing things up. Had a bad experience before so more worried/critical buying a pony. Equally realise I don’t have a huge budget for a unicorn. Thank you

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
My daughter has a pony on trial and he’s very sweet and honest in lots of ways and also seems very level headed, not speedy or spooky. The last couple of rides when he’s not be sure of something he’s planted. When my daughter has applied leg to move him forward he’s started going backwards, she’s put her hands forward and encouraged with leg and he goes backwards more. Yesterday this was happening at the gate at an arena hire, she tried turning his hind legs and circling and this worked, then he did it again and did a little bunny hop (a mini rear). Teeth and back have been checked, will get saddle he came with checked. We also have an instructor who is small enough to ride him regularly for us. He hasn’t done this with her. My question is, is this just standard napping or does it show a predisposition to rearing? 99% of the time he’s good as gold. Pony is on trial so just weighing things up. Had a bad experience before so more worried/critical buying a pony. Equally realise I don’t have a huge budget for a unicorn. Thank you

It doesn't sound like this pony is suitable for your daughter right now.

As he is on trial, I would return before the behaviour escalates, as a courtesy to the owner.

What did the owner say about it?

vhf

Visit site
I'd say this is quite a common insecurity nap response and yes, almost every one I've known can progress to a rear of some degree if not very tactfully handled.
Unless your daughter has this level of finesse and experience and plenty of confidence, it's probably not going to be the right fit right now.
It sounds like she handled it well and for a confident young rider, learning to handle the less than perfect horse is an essential skill if they are planning on progressing up the ranks.

Wishfilly

Visit site
If he's already done a bunny hop, I'd assume under real pressure, his response would be to go up. You might never put him under that much pressure, but I think it would be his go to, if he felt really stuck.

Has your instructor ridden him in a stressful situation like this?

For me, the backing up on its own can be an issue if they lose self preservation with it- if they will e.g. back up into a ditch, or off the track they are on, or into traffic etc.

How does your daughter feel about him? If he's on trial, and is showing issues, I'm not sure I'd worry about getting saddle etc checked- he's not your problem to fix.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
My horse had this habit and it still rears its head once in a great while. He's not a confident or bold horse by nature. He's never reared (he did a small pop or two when younger but it was more of an odd pirouette of sorts), but can spin, or go backwards and will has lost self preservation at times. I hate it and it's his worst trait. It takes very tactful riding and feeling to get through it. Generally it has only occurred while hacking alone, but he's really improved on that front. It's nearly "not a thing" anymore but I know it could still be in there somewhere or come out with the wrong rider.

I would never sell or buy a horse like this for a child or anyone inexperienced. Or even more exerperienced that just doesn't have the confidence and feeling to get the horse through it. Some horses can have this behavior, but simply won't or will only do it on the very rare occasion (when really scared perhaps) with the right rider.

The cause of this can vary a bit. Ultimately the horse is behind the leg, if we look at it in simple terms, but some do it out of fear, pain, confusion, or are sour in their attitude (usually caused by humans). It depends on why they're doing it and how far they'll take it. Not a "trait" or behavior I would knowingly buy.

Winters100

Visit site
Sorry that you are having another disappointment, but much better a small disappointment now than a big headache later. You are clearly sensible and level headed, and this will stand you in good stead in the maze of difficulties that one has to encounter when buying.

Just a thought, but could you look into a share or loan so that your daughter has something to ride while you look for her perfect partner?

Good luck with your search, and well done for avoiding a potential problem!