Running low on options

Milo123

Visit site
100% do the Cushing's test.
I swear by Hoof Armour these days. It puts a tough layer over the sole of the hoof and helps stop grit or mud getting in any white line defects. You need to buy the applicator the first time but after that is very cost effective. It might help you if you are thinking of turning out barefoot.
I have been using hoof doctor as it was highly recommended but I will look into hoof armour

Milo123

Visit site
I think this is a case of less is more. If he were mine? Shoes off, turn out for 3 months, no grass (or as little as you can figure) and let nature do its thing. The feet aren't healthy, and it's clear shoes aren't working.
Yes, his feet are a lot better than when he had him off the track but not great if you get me the farrier work hard to get his feet to a good standard and we have never had a problem so disheartening

Milo123

Visit site
Lami doesn’t always show in rotation.
We are going to get cushings test done next week ( I’m away with work untill Wednesday) and my mum said she’d rather if I was there she cares for him while I’m away a good friend has been going up since Monday to wrap hoof daily

Milo123

Visit site
At his age I think the fact he is a bad traveller would stop me sending him for fancy diagnostics .
I would do a Cushings test.
And then concentrate on quality of life his and yours .
Cavallos and a thick pad are a good call .
If he traveled well he’s have gone at the begining 🤣 but it’s just a hard case as he hates travelling and wales has such shit facilities, and if you know him you’d really think he looks great for his age and it’s just so strange as came on so suddenly

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
could you turn him away with hoof boots on so gives farrier more hoof to work with next time, this way he has protection from stones and bruising. My connie is doing better without shoes now than with, and lots seen my earlier post about her hoof balance which was way off.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
I wouldn’t turn away until cushings test has been done, my cushings mare had reached 4 prascend a day and her levels were going up and she became pottery, there were no pulses but vet felt she was on the brink of laminitis so as she was 25 and cushings was not being controlled I had her PTS. Not saying you should do that but investigate cushings first before any thoughts of too much grass. I would also try hoof boots while you are trying to find out the cause

Milo123

Visit site
could you turn him away with hoof boots on so gives farrier more hoof to work with next time, this way he has protection from stones and bruising. My connie is doing better without shoes now than with, and lots seen my earlier post about her hoof balance which was way off.
Potentially yes I definitely want to rule out cushings can’t harm and then I think I’ve exhausted all options so he will be turned away for a few months

Milo123

Visit site
I wouldn’t turn away until cushings test has been done, my cushings mare had reached 4 prascend a day and her levels were going up and she became pottery, there were no pulses but vet felt she was on the brink of laminitis so as she was 25 and cushings was not being controlled I had her PTS. Not saying you should do that but investigate cushings first before any thoughts of too much grass. I would also try hoof boots while you are trying to find out the cause
Our summer fields aren’t open yet anyway so he’d die of starvation if left out (can’t hay in fields ) unless I want them to be eaten alive by others he’s a wuss going to test for cushings next week!

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
Our summer fields aren’t open yet anyway so he’d die of starvation if left out (can’t hay in fields ) unless I want them to be eaten alive by others he’s a wuss going to test for cushings next week!

Good luck hope he doesn’t have it so you can feel ok about turning him out . I had run out of options for mine as I felt that it wasn’t in her best interests to be stabled indefinitely and I was told that there was no point upping the prascend as it had stopped working and eventually she would get laminitis… I know it was best for her but very difficult for me as I had owned her for 15 years

Milo123

Visit site
We trotted him up in the school this afternoon ( left work as I couldn’t function we don’t have children so my boy is like my baby) and he was nearly 95% sound in school just looked more stiff we then trotted him up on concrete and he seemed to be about 90% sound was hard to run and watch him no one was there to record but he was very playful in school, other liveries couldn’t get over how much sounder he was in the school (last time she seen him walking he was hobbling!

Milo123

Visit site
That sounds positive , let’s hope he keeps improving
I really hope so, worried about putting shoe back on but currently he’s wearing a poultice boot ( or he is back hopping) he really dosnt cope well with no shoes my friend has the proper boots barefoot so going to call and get them but don’t think they will fit him as her horse is a lot bigger(idxtb) my lad is full tb but worth a shot, not sure to wait a few more weeks till I shoe him

Jellymoon

Visit site
It’s been such a long wet winter, feet are saturated and farriers are very busy atm with lost shoes, infections, bruises etc. Even horses not being turned out are suffering from standing in all the time - lots of thrush about, according to my farrier.
Perhaps just needs time and some nice dry weather and turnout.

I’m not sure if this kind of thing even works, who knows, but maybe worth trying a hoof supplement and/or something for the immune system in his diet?

Milo123

Visit site
It’s been such a long wet winter, feet are saturated and farriers are very busy atm with lost shoes, infections, bruises etc. Even horses not being turned out are suffering from standing in all the time - lots of thrush about, according to my farrier.
Perhaps just needs time and some nice dry weather and turnout.

I’m not sure if this kind of thing even works, who knows, but maybe worth trying a hoof supplement and/or something for the immune system in his diet?
Yes we have him on a hoof supplement, knitbone, and a collagen based product

tristars

Visit site
i have a horse the same age as yours, he has the hardest feet in summer to trim, rock like, this wet winter his feet have been soft he has felt a few stones walking in, a few days in a yard with mats and he is ok, but i just put him out in the field afternoons, playing it all day by day

last year he had an infection and crack which was cut out and soaked in copper sulphate for ages, the year before he had another, so now i monitor him carefully, this involves ensuring the integrity of the white line his feet are trimmed every 2 weeks to ensure no spreading, i also spray the sole frog with iodine i x week to start then as needed.

he has selinavite E supplement and now has great feet, all this happened since moving different soil

your horse looks to have a problem with his white line area, from what i could see at a guess

my horse above is not shod, i prefer it that way so i know whats going on and find it easier to deal with any little probs

hope we get some drier weather soon sure that will help

Milo123

Visit site
i have a horse the same age as yours, he has the hardest feet in summer to trim, rock like, this wet winter his feet have been soft he has felt a few stones walking in, a few days in a yard with mats and he is ok, but i just put him out in the field afternoons, playing it all day by day

last year he had an infection and crack which was cut out and soaked in copper sulphate for ages, the year before he had another, so now i monitor him carefully, this involves ensuring the integrity of the white line his feet are trimmed every 2 weeks to ensure no spreading, i also spray the sole frog with iodine i x week to start then as needed.

he has selinavite E supplement and now has great feet, all this happened since moving different soil

your horse looks to have a problem with his white line area, from what i could see at a guess

my horse above is not shod, i prefer it that way so i know whats going on and find it easier to deal with any little probs

hope we get some drier weather soon sure that will help
Ours are on ménage surfaced pens only usually for wet days but have ended up in them most of this winter, it’s free draining so barely any wetness mud. Our soil is sandy /clay like in places.