Rushing horse! schooling tips?

Maz&Baz

New User
Visit site
Hi I have a 6 year old welsh section D and after i've had a canter he will rush in his trot. he often puts his neck very short and choppy on the step which if i use my leg he will go faster. He will sometimes just race off in the trot. Ive tried lots of transitions but doesn't make a difference/ makes it worse. I will not buy a stronger bit as hes much more relaxed in his eggbut snaffle.
Could anyone please advise me with some schooling exercises I can do?
Thank you

* He has been checked for pain and he is not in any whatsoever*

Farma

Visit site
Hi I have a 6 year old welsh section D and after i've had a canter he will rush in his trot. he often puts his neck very short and choppy on the step which if i use my leg he will go faster. He will sometimes just race off in the trot. Ive tried lots of transitions but doesn't make a difference/ makes it worse. I will not buy a stronger bit as hes much more relaxed in his eggbut snaffle.
Could anyone please advise me with some schooling exercises I can do?
Thank you

for the downward transition try and get the canter bouncing into a more collected canter with more sit than your normal working canter to prepare to go into trot. If he isn't engaging behind and is on the forehand he can't do anything else but rush off as he is out of balance so I would work on the quality of the canter and the adjustability of it rather than the transitions as this will in turn help your transitions.
I also pick up that you said if you use your leg he will go faster which is an issue that needs to go back to basics as he must accept your leg not run away from it.
Do you have an instructor to watch from the ground?

Maz&Baz

New User
Visit site
for the downward transition try and get the canter bouncing into a more collected canter with more sit than your normal working canter to prepare to go into trot. If he isn't engaging behind and is on the forehand he can't do anything else but rush off as he is out of balance so I would work on the quality of the canter and the adjustability of it rather than the transitions as this will in turn help your transitions.
I also pick up that you said if you use your leg he will go faster which is an issue that needs to go back to basics as he must accept your leg not run away from it.
Do you have an instructor to watch from the ground?
he is usually fine with me using my leg until this point, i will try and get a more collected canter first, thank you