Sacro iliac / mild arthritis

mumsybud3541

Visit site
Cut a long story short, horse was boned scanned this sept after some performance issues (come down to grass roots level with my daughter). Also has swelling to right hip. Physio and vet both agree needed scanning. Extremely sore SI and back. Tight hamstrings and generally in a lot of pain. Assessed at equine hosp. Typical bunny hopping in canter and subtle lameness. Bone scans X-rays and steroids to hocks and SI. Has gradual rehabbed with reg physio. Lots of hacking and the usual strengthening stuff. Daughter sticks perfectly to it and hacks a lot.
Looking great after 10 weeks. Has now included larger circles and canter. Then suddenly last night things take a turn. Our horse seems sore again. Kicking out and not happy to be ridden. Physio has watched trot up via video and not happy with both hind legs. Asked for vet review and she is out next week.

so I guess what I’m asking is, what are people’s experiences? I am under no illusion and I don’t want leading up the garden path. We love him very much but my daughter loves competing and pony club. We had bought him to take her up a level to be90. We accept that will prob not happen now. But would love a year or two of pony club. I’m so deflated at the min. Had him 2 years and with covid and now this, they and 6 amazing months. I’m so concerned that he’s relapsed so soon.
Are there any positive stories out rhere? Has anyone experienced similar ? Thankyou ?

scats

Visit site
I have a mare with SI problems, mild hock arthritis and PSD.
She can’t canter under saddle at all, nor on the lunge. She stands up if you ask her.
I bought another to ride instead, so Polly is a companion and does light hacking and walk and trot work in the school.
She couldn’t have her SI injected unfortunately as she was deemed too dangerous at the hospital to try (she’s not a good patient!)

So sorry you are going through this with your horse. Did they scan the suspensories as well?

mumsybud3541

Visit site
Thankyou. I’m interested to know if people have been through the whole rehab process fully.
min not going to give up yet but I can only invest so much emotionally and financially if the outcome is going to be the same either way :(

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I have no direct experience of this kind of relapse after treatment and rehab myself but I have watched close friends try to rehab this kind of issue and been reading this forum for 13 years. With everything I've seen and heard I have come to the conclusion that one SI rehab is all I would put my time, money and emotional energy into before calling it a day.

I'm very sorry to have to say this but you say you don't want leading up the garden path. I would retire your horse from riding at this point if he was mine.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
I hope someone comes along with a positive experience to share with you.

My mare had three lots of injections over a couple of years but she never came fully right. My son who was tall but very light hacked her for a while before we retired her. She had a few other issues and was pts aged 12.

SI injuries are very difficult to deal with and impact greatly on the horse unfortunately.

mumsybud3541

Visit site
Thankyou. It’s very difficult because he is actually my 14 year old daughters horse. We bought him just before covid having done his last be100. He was her dream horse to step up on. He was only lightly competed BE. Same home all his life. Hacked loads and pony club type horse. He was as fit as a fiddle.
I wonder if the change in work with my daughter who’s learnt to ride a ‘horse’ on him has just exposed an existing issue. That maybe wasn’t a problem in his old home. If I am making sense.

I know how I would manage this, but it’s very difficult with a child who adores him and has an a small taste of what could have been after a very successful few months with him.

horses ! Remind me again why we do it ??

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
If he's had a previous trauma then these things can certainly develop over time so he may well have shown no signs in his previous home and the arthritic changes have simply evolved and would have anyway.

I can tell you the day and hour of my mare's injury, and she was fine for a few years after the initial recovery.

mumsybud3541

Visit site
I wonder if he has, as he has a strange almost bone concave feel to the effected side of his pelvis but it doesn’t seem new. He’s always swung to the right a little. Lots of ‘maybes’. But none of them matter now.
My plan is vet this week, physio is still coming next and go from there. But speak to whoever I can professionally.
he has his insurance allowed which has another 6 months maybe more.
It sounds extremely cold hearted but we bought a competition horse as she loves to event with a passion. We can’t afford two really and I have always held it close to my heart that I would never sell on any of our horses and ponies if They had issues ? .

thankyou everyone. We had hoped he would be able to lightly compete even at very low level for a year or two, but it’s not looking hopeful.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
To be honest I have never seen a long term positive result following SI treatment. I retired my horse immediately after he showed evidence of sacro iliac discomfort, it’s not going to be fixed and I don’t want him to go through endless treatments that have little to no hope of working.

mumsybud3541

Visit site
I have a mare with SI problems, mild hock arthritis and PSD.
She can’t canter under saddle at all, nor on the lunge. She stands up if you ask her.
I bought another to ride instead, so Polly is a companion and does light hacking and walk and trot work in the school.
She couldn’t have her SI injected unfortunately as she was deemed too dangerous at the hospital to try (she’s not a good patient!)

So sorry you are going through this with your horse. Did they scan the suspensories as well?

he wasn’t scanned. He had X-rays of legs but I don’t believe anything was scanned. But I presume this diagnosis puts more pressure on everything as a whole. I’m calling the vet when they open so maybe she will look at this.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I have a much more positive tale.

Billateral SI medication with steroids, plus bilateral hock medication with gel injections, plus regular treatment from an excellent chiro vet, plus in hand rehab has completely turned my wonky pelvised mare round.

She hasn't been sore in her SI since her last medication there 15 months ago. She is still wonky, as her pelvis is unlevel, but she moves freely and is pain free.

Was the SI not medicated, then? You have a window of pain free opportunity post SI medication to to rehab the horse into a correct way of moving so it will not repeatedly reinjure itself.

mumsybud3541

Visit site

Billateral SI medication with steroids, plus bilateral hock medication with gel injections, plus regular treatment from an excellent chiro vet, plus in hand rehab has completely turned my wonky pelvised mare round.

She hasn't been sore in her SI since her last medication there 15 months ago. She is still wonky, as her pelvis is unlevel, but she moves freely and is pain free.

Was the SI not medicated, then? You have a window of pain free opportunity post SI medication to to rehab the horse into a correct way of moving so it will not repeatedly reinjure itself.

yes. sI and hocks medicated. He’s now week 10
Rehab. Daughter got on and tracked up in Walk and he was kicking out, protesting quite obviously. Physio has seen videos whilst waiting vet and appt. said both hinds clearly not right and in light of his behaviour needs vet. Just thinking the worse but I do need more facts yet. Hoping he’s gotten a little sore or even Perhaps something else ? Just all feels a bit grim.
We are moving house so he will be going to a yard with 24/7 turnout and better hacking. Hoping with the rehab , treatment and a good spring hacking he could manage a quieter life with us.
I know week 10 is relatively soon but he’s done nothing but hack since June and we have followed our physios plan to the word. We have just reintroduced canter. Hopefully we have moved a little to fast and we can back track. physio says he doesnt look hurrendous but needs seeing. crossing fingers x

nutjob

Visit site
My horse had a SI injury after having a very bad fall where the hind legs did the splits. He also injured a hock and a fetlock (one on each hind leg). He need a few weeks rest before rehab and physio. I did months of walking in hand and pole work but he was still very tight and painful in his back. Vet OK'd me to ride to get him moving but I was afraid of being launched so remained on the ground.

About 6 months in I had his SI injected, my vet used some sort of guidance system to make sure the steriods got properly into the joint and this was a major turning point. He was already doing a lot of walking but we ramped up the poles with raised poles and various exercises from the physio along with stretches and tens machine. The steriod injections allowed him to properly engage his hind end allowing the rehab to be effective.

When I finally got back on board he was fine and we are now working beyond the level we were pre injury. He competes at Novice dressage, about to try elementary and we do jump up to 80cm. I have had a couple of 9's this year for his trot and whilst this is rc or unaffiliated not BD it is very heartening for me to know that he is moving freely and is not stiff/lame/unlevel.

My horse was young and had been in an accident, which I think would make a difference compared with one who had a degenerative condition or conformational issue.

ycbm

Visit site

I didn't think she was in real work under saddle yet? Apologies if I'm wrong about that.

ycbm

Visit site
I wonder if he has, as he has a strange almost bone concave feel to the effected side of his pelvis but it doesn’t seem new. He’s always swung to the right a little. Lots of ‘maybes’. But none of them matter now.
My plan is vet this week, physio is still coming next and go from there. But speak to whoever I can professionally.
he has his insurance allowed which has another 6 months maybe more.
It sounds extremely cold hearted but we bought a competition horse as she loves to event with a passion. We can’t afford two really and I have always held it close to my heart that I would never sell on any of our horses and ponies if They had issues ? .

thankyou everyone. We had hoped he would be able to lightly compete even at very low level for a year or two, but it’s not looking hopeful.

If you are looking for support in a decision to PTS then you would have mine.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
OP, sorry, I missed that you had had the SI medicated too. That is not good.

There can be success stories post SI injury, but sadly there are also many horses who don't do well.
I didn't think she was in real work under saddle yet? Apologies if I'm wrong about that.
No, she isn't, but that is only because her rider (me) still has a little bit of weight to shift before I feel I should get back on! The vets cleared her to be ridden a while ago...

It's just that the SI medication (plus rehab, chiro vet etc) really have worked for her. She is epically wonky in her pelvis in addition to her other issues, with her right hip being about 3" lower than her left after a fall in the field. To get her completely pain free in her back and 'sound', albeit still very wonky, is a huge achievement.

E2167D31-26FF-4D78-9293-FBDD56110631.jpeg

mumsybud3541

Visit site
Little update. The vet has been today and she’s actually thinking it’s his hock causing the issue. Based on what we know so far and what we have seen. We have some options at least. He’s having steroids again next week . And we can look at gel /stem cel if needed. I might as well go with the flow and see where we go. Just going to take a deep Breath.

ycbm

Visit site
OP, sorry, I missed that you had had the SI medicated too. That is not good.

There can be success stories post SI injury, but sadly there are also many horses who don't do well.
No, she isn't, but that is only because her rider (me) still has a little bit of weight to shift before I feel I should get back on! The vets cleared her to be ridden a while ago...

It's just that the SI medication (plus rehab, chiro vet etc) really have worked for her. She is epically wonky in her pelvis in addition to her other issues, with her right hip being about 3" lower than her left after a fall in the field. To get her completely pain free in her back and 'sound', albeit still very wonky, is a huge achievement.

View attachment 82151

I think you've done a fantastic job TP and I very much hope she comes into work sound for you. Nobody would be more pleased than me to add her to my - very short - list of horses I know who were treated for lameness originating in the SI and returned to work long term. ?

mumsybud3541

Visit site
I think you've done a fantastic job TP and I very much hope she comes into work sound for you. Nobody would be more pleased than me to add her to my - very short - list of horses I know who were treated for lameness originating in the SI and returned to work long term. ?

Thankyou. I have made it very clear that as much bad we love him and we will do our absolute best for him, we will not let him suffer. Hopefully will be able to post a positive outcome but not holding my breath

mumsybud3541

Visit site
Well I’m back ! Horse had further hock steroids. He’s had his back done with the electro pulse thing by the vet. He’s had physio who also found the soreness but nothing horrific that wasn’t easily worked out. he was an absolute terror for the medication! Infact we nearly gave up! A week of box rest due to lami risk/antibiotics and bute and he’s been checked and looks sound, pain free and happy. So green light to build up again but not too slowly as vet wants to assess.

daughter rides up to the school tonight to walk him (too dark to hack) and he’s very tense but ok. Soon as we walk in he plants ! His bottom is clearly raised and he’s hollow. He’s also just as he was before the vet came out, with his legs kicking out and just really unhappy. We tried both his saddles and he’s the same in each (waiting saddle fitter). But he’s really unhappy going forward and backing up kicking. He will walk if he’s following me weirdly but still not happy and tense.
Daughter walks round for the mins wondering if he’s stiff/still a bit grouchy after a week in then gets back on but the same. However , she got on and took him a slow steady walk around our enclosed field and he’s fine ! Odd tail swish. So she walks in the school on her way back , and as soon as he’s in there he plants and does the same again. Gosh it’s draining!

he’s gradually going out now. We are moving house and yards next week so to be honest he can have the rest ans ground work not a prob. But the plan is to give him a few days and see how he settled with a week of hacking. Physio is due after we move anyway so can check him over and tell us if he’s getting sore again. Vet is due in 3 weeks , but obv will come sooner if I feel he’s not improving.
I just don’t know what to think? Is it possible his hocks are still sore from the injections? It was hard going. But, my instinct tells me it’s his pelvis/back.
his bone scan report talks about his SI and the inflammation surrounding it. Is it focused on that are only or as standard would they have the scans of his spine in general. Ulcers even Occurred to me but I just don’t know. It’s all speculation I guess. It’s just so frustrating seeing him get worse not better. I hope she can hack him through this and he improves, by my gut tells me there’s more to it. We are almost 6 months in now ?. Any ideas/ advice ?

meleeka

Visit site
If you are waiting for a saddle fitter I would personally stick to in hand exercises until then. You can use poles on the ground to encourage him to lift his back. If the saddle is causing him discomfort you aren’t going to get a true reflection of where he’s at.
I rehabbed mine a few times with SI pain and always started off in hand and carrot stretches to give him some strength in his back before I got on.

I’d also treat as ulcers in any case. Aloe Vera is quite cheap and won’t hurt.

mumsybud3541

Visit site
Thankyou. Yes I agree. After I wrote that above I thought it’s safer to stick to in hand and I had thought I would see what the vet thinks re - ulcers. He’s been through a lot and he’s a stressy horse internally.

nutjob

Visit site
If his back is sore, or there are questions about saddle fit I also wouldn't ride him as tension can stop them working properly. I used to warm my horses back up before working whether in hand or ridden, I had 3 long socks filled with rice which could be microwaved then draped over his back for a few mins to try to warm and relax the muscles first.

You can get some useful info for the vet / physio by trying him in both in the school and on a hard surface in hand or on long reins and see which he prefers and whether his movement and behaviour is improved compared with being ridden. If the school surface is soft/deep it might not be suitable, I was advised to walk out on a hard surface.

mumsybud3541

Visit site
No his back isn’t sore. He’s had the vet check following treatment the day before given the green light to go. He’s not lame, he’s moving correctly and any soreness in his back has gone. Absolutely no clinical outward signs of any reason to be concerned. His saddles are fitted regular and was last fitted a few months ago. I had decided to get a check to ensure nothing has changed too much.
Vet wants to continue ridden work to gauge his progress, physio agrees. But obviously I am concerned that despite no soreness in his back, no pain as of the day before, what could be going on?

hes hand walked a good amount of time before mourning. He is also stretched well before riding and we also use an equilibrium massage pad. He’s sensitive in his back anyway (kissing spine ruled out with imaging).

ycbm

Visit site
He's been in pain from an issue known to cause ulcers and the treatment for that pain has helped the movement and soreness but doesn't appear to have helped the behaviour. I would have said at this stage a check for ulcers was essential and I'm surprised your vet hasn't suggested it.

mumsybud3541

Visit site
He's been in pain from an issue known to cause ulcers and the treatment for that pain has helped the movement and soreness but doesn't appear to have helped the behaviour. I would have said at this stage a check for ulcers was essential and I'm surprised your vet hasn't suggested it.

thanks. I’m going to bring it up. It wouldn’t hurt to scope based on what I’m seeing.