Sacro iliac / mild arthritis

TheHairyOne

Visit site
I have a story of hope. This pony also had the typical bunny hopping in canter after an acute injury in the field that took a while to diagnose.

He was injected with steriods both sides, 6 months of rehab work (with the first 3 being inhand or hacking). This was him maybe 7 years afterwards having needed no further treatment.

60362504_10216023417272268_7187606664386707456_n.jpg

He would do a very nice novice test with me, but this was his sharer riding him.

34176601_10156120835087254_3206481055431262208_n.jpg

Canter with someone who is also not me around the same time as the dressage pic.

He has needed it redone once in the last year as a precaution as he now has one slightly atheritic hock too which was injected at the same time, but is now back to his normal happy self.

Best of luck to you, your daughter and your horse. The more i read the more i realise how lucky I might have been. This little horse never did jump very much though.

mumsybud3541

Visit site
That
I have a story of hope. This pony also had the typical bunny hopping in canter after an acute injury in the field that took a while to diagnose.

He was injected with steriods both sides, 6 months of rehab work (with the first 3 being inhand or hacking). This was him maybe 7 years afterwards having needed no further treatment.

View attachment 82955

He would do a very nice novice test with me, but this was his sharer riding him.

View attachment 82957

Canter with someone who is also not me around the same time as the dressage pic.

He has needed it redone once in the last year as a precaution as he now has one slightly atheritic hock too which was injected at the same time, but is now back to his normal happy self.

Best of luck to you, your daughter and your horse. The more i read the more i realise how lucky I might have been. This little horse never did jump very much though.

Thankyou. If he can hack at least we will be happy as my younger daughter will ride him. anything more than that would be amazing. I have already started a savings fund this past few weeks incase he doesn’t come anywhere near what we hope even for a short time. But we will see. Great to see a good outcome x

I don’t like mondays

Visit site

View attachment 82955
That’s amazing Thathairyone. How many days per week did you rehab him for and for how long?

View attachment 82957

mumsybud3541

Visit site
Just logged in and saw my old thread. Gosh what a journey it’s been !so we moved house end of November and pretty much started again with the rehab. Horse went off for more SI steroids and has been having 4 weekly Electric pulse thing with the vet and physio. i just can’t give up yet as my daughter has begged and the professionals still there is a chance he may still live a comfortable life. But lots of question marks around if he could more than hack.
We are move 3.5 months in of ground work and I can’t believe the dedication my daughter has shown ! It’s very sad to see really as I know she’s missing competing so much, but she loves him more. She’s now allowed to ride for 5 mins in walk and very slowly built up. He seems happy with her doing this so far.
But, what I wanted to mention is this.
When we moved onto our last yard we wen full livery and had to use their farrier. Her jumping went south soon after. To cut a long story short we have now moved yards and farrier. He has done some remedial work and his feet are basically a mess ! His heals were crushed for a start. Farrier thinks it’s def played a big part in the deterioration. He’s had his second lot of shoeing done and so far so good. I am not expecting miracles but surely this must help.

we are takin it day by day for now

Cragrat

Visit site
I am so impressed with your daughter! Such dedication is lovely to hear of.

Very interesting RE: the hooves. As a hoof geek, do you have any side on photos of him stood up in the old yard, and the new? I'm wondering what his hoof /limb angles were like? Were his hooves ever x-rrayed?

mumsybud3541

Visit site
I thought I would post an update. We moved house and along with that yards as it’s a new area for us. Which is good because mid December he has his SI injected. Life kept us busy so we didn’t dwell as much.
Vet and physio wanted him really strong before my daughter was able to sit on him. He also under went remedial farriery which brought to light the state of his feet. He was a mess ! No wonder he was always tight through his hamstrings and sore.
fats forward to now, we have kept to ground work, poles and thoracic sling exercises for 5 months only. We have built him up very very careful as he was so week for so long. At present he is giving us no indication that he is in any pain. He’s ridden a lot less and only schooling lightly (no real lateral work and cantering straight lines) but he’s doing amazing. My daughter has been back to riding club with him as our physio signed off for 3 months which I can’t believe ! She’s had flatwork lessons and pole lessons from a great instructor with physio qualifications. So they have focused on building his core without risking soreness. Plenty of hacking and we still do the ground work too. He does clip the floor with his right hind a little, but he lifts fine over poles and it’s improving each review. I’m not sure if that will ever resolve, but it’s not bothering him so we are just continuing on. It’s being viewed a s a weakness not a lameness. It’s not obvious.
However, I know how much my daughter is missing jumping ? . We really don’t know what the future holds for him, but we will see. They are enjoying the hear and now. It’s such a shame about the cost of living because I darnt risk buying another horse. Livery has gone up along side everything else.

thanks for everyone’s comments. Seems a long time ago x

mumsybud3541

Visit site
I am so impressed with your daughter! Such dedication is lovely to hear of.

Very interesting RE: the hooves. As a hoof geek, do you have any side on photos of him stood up in the old yard, and the new? I'm wondering what his hoof /limb angles were like? Were his hooves ever x-rrayed?

Attachments

• D057EAF7-71CC-4837-91CF-FA3F3108D18E.jpeg
    D057EAF7-71CC-4837-91CF-FA3F3108D18E.jpeg
    1,000.1 KB · Views: 30