Sacroiliac disease and PTS

SpringArising

Visit site
If you bought a young horse with the intention of jumping/competing, realised later on that it isn't actually happy doing that and you don't enjoy riding it, BUT you found out it had a degenerative or incurable condition (like DJD or SI disease), what would you do?

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
If you bought a young horse with the intention of jumping/competing, realised later on that it isn't actually happy doing that and you don't enjoy riding it, BUT you found out it had a degenerative or incurable condition (like DJD or SI disease), what would you do?

No question. I'd put it down.

ihatework

Visit site
It would depend on the extent of the injury, the horse in question and whether the horse had a potentially useful other job.

I have been in that position and I long term loaned the horse as a light hack. I fund his drugs and will have no hesitation in stepping in to call it a day when QOL deteriorates

SpringArising

Visit site
Thanks for these, I feel reassured that I'm not way off the mark in thinking I would have to PTS.

The horse in question is my own, I bought him as a project to be a general allrounder, but primarily for jumping and XC. I didn't know it at the time as he was mega green and hadn't done much, but it's become more and more obvious over the time I've had him that him doing that and us both enjoying it would be like getting a square peg in a round hole. He's a strong, anxious horse and I think this is one of those cases where the horse just isn't right for what you want.

I'd planned to put him up for sale so he could enjoy an easier life hacking (which he loves) but in the last six weeks or so it's become more and more obvious that something isn't right, and my gut is saying either KS, SI or DJD. He's eight, I can't afford two on my current yard, and I'm also seriously struggling to justify the prospect of the expense and rehab efforts on a horse who I don't even like riding.

Teeth, saddle and back have all been checked within the last eight weeks. He's having X-rays and nerve blocks next week to see if we can find anything obvious.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I'm normally in the 'yes to PTS' camp, but you owe it to him to find out what his issues are before deciding to proceed with that.

Maybe a simple change of job and home will sort him, and it's interesting that you say he enjoys hacking. But you do need to rule out physical causes first.

be positive

Visit site
Unless something shows up that is a real disaster and beyond a sensible amount of treatment I would give him the chance, assuming he is still relatively young, of finding a nice hacking home with full disclosure, it is not easy to find a quality horse that is a really good hack so you could find it fairly easy to get him a good home where he will be appreciated, I would find it very hard to pts a horse that can still do a job for someone unless it had other issues.

SpringArising

Visit site
I'm normally in the 'yes to PTS' camp, but you owe it to him to find out what his issues are before deciding to proceed with that.

Maybe a simple change of job and home will sort him, and it's interesting that you say he enjoys hacking. But you do need to rule out physical causes first.

I'm not sure if you posted this before you saw my follow up but that's what I'm in the process of doing! He's displaying physical signs of discomfort which weren't present when I bought him or for the majority of time I've had him, so I don't think it's just a case of him not liking arena work.

SpringArising

Visit site
Unless something shows up that is a real disaster and beyond a sensible amount of treatment I would give him the chance, assuming he is still relatively young, of finding a nice hacking home with full disclosure, it is not easy to find a quality horse that is a really good hack so you could find it fairly easy to get him a good home where he will be appreciated, I would find it very hard to pts a horse that can still do a job for someone unless it had other issues.

For sure. What concerns me with passing him on, is that he may end up being passed on again, to someone who wasn't made aware of something degenerative and he'll be worked to beyond what he's comfortable with.

My last post about him makes me sound very stoic about him but that's not the case at all. He's actually quite an annoying horse, very aloof, not interested in affection at all, and clumsy with his feet and head, but I've grown very attached to him and genuinely care about him a lot!

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
For sure. What concerns me with passing him on, is that he may end up being passed on again, to someone who wasn't made aware of something degenerative and he'll be worked to beyond what he's comfortable with.

My last post about him makes me sound very stoic about him but that's not the case at all. He's actually quite an annoying horse, very aloof, not interested in affection at all, and clumsy with his feet and head, but I've grown very attached to him and genuinely care about him a lot!

As someone who was gifted a lame horse which had been given to a 'forever home' as a light hack and then rescued after being seen show jumping on Facebook, and rescued another of my own who was being starved, I would say your fears are well founded.

I don't think you can show greater care for a horse than to make sure it can never be sick or sorry ever again.

I promised the owner of the gift horse that if I couldn't get the horse right I would have it put to sleep, and that is what happened.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I couldn’t pts without looking into what was wrong and long term prognosis for a useful life. I’m pretty sure I bought a horse that could no longer be competitive at a higher level for similar reasons. He’s had various issues over the years including SI injury but I’ve managed to keep him going and have still had a good time.

However he is and was from the day he arrived my soul mate. If I hadn’t had that connection I don’t think I could have gone through all therapy and management issues plus down-grading my ambitions. Over the years I’ve come to the conclusion that within reason you have to make the best of what you have and no horse is without it’s issues.

jaquelin

Visit site
I have known of young horses having been put down due to degenerative disease, so it is not unheard of, and the best solution for an unrideable horse. I just recently put my rising 12 gelding down. (See pain in all 4 feet thread). I wouldn’t pass on a horse as a hack for the very reason stated up-thread. My boy loved to jump & would probably jump regardless of the pain. I never had a stop on him. All the more reason not to sell on.
We managed his issues for nearly six years ( showed signs of SI issues from the beginning) Other problems emerged, he blew through all of his insurance, so basically uninsurable. He was regularly lame & then finally lost markedly lost performance.
I think you kind of know when it is the end of the line.