Sad news - I'm having to retire H

H's mum

www.coligone.co.uk
I've not posted in the Competition forum for a while as obviously I've not been out competing with one thing or another - I thought I'd update people as a few will remember H - Sadly she came in from the field hopping lame behind and the vet's been out today and confirmed that she's done both her hind suspensories
frown.gif

Gutted is not the word I'd use to describe how I feel - To know I'll never ride her again is heartbreaking - but to know how much pain she's in is worse
frown.gif
The outlook is quite bleak for her - 2-3 months box rest and then the best hope is that she will be strong enough to be able to carry a foal...

Kate x

Divasmum

Visit site
That is very sad news for you. I am really sorry to hear it. However, sometimes rest helps this sort of injury so let's hope things don't look as bleak a bit further down the line.

siennamum

Visit site
How horrendous & shocking, poor H, hopefully she will be sound enough to canter round the field and produce lots of lovely little dressage foals..

bigboyrocky

Visit site
That so gutting
frown.gif
*hugs*

my thoughts though..
if her hind legs are already weak, wouldnt putting her into foal make it worse?
confused.gif
crazy.gif
xxx

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
What a shame as I know you have put so much time and effort into getting her right. Hope she gets better with time and the box rest works.

MandyMoo

Visit site
awful news
frown.gif
so sorry to hear, <<<vibes>>> that things don't seem as bad a bit further down the line..and she will hopefully be ok to have lots of lovely foals.

*hugs* xxx

BBs

Visit site
Totally and utterly shocked to hear this Katie.
I really did think we'd see you out competing again soon.
(((hugs)))
I really hope H recovers enough for her to live out a very happy retirement with you guys
xxxx

H's mum

www.coligone.co.uk
Yes sadly that's why being a brood mare is "best case scenario" We've got to go through the whole process of box rest etc to try to get her strong enough to be able to carry the foal - worst case is being pts
frown.gif

Kate x

Lolo

Visit site
Our little mare did both her hind suspensories this year, and the outlook was quite bleak for her but she's had an operation (thank you insurance!) and although she'll never event, they hope she'll be able to do dressage and is down to 2/10 lame from 8/10... there is hope.

Vibes for you and her- its so hard to know what to do.

H's mum

www.coligone.co.uk
Thanks for your hope - it's much needed and appreciated!
Sadly she's got other underlying issues - she's already had surgery on a broken splint bone and 2 annular ligaments - so further surgery is out of the question for her - her legs are too weak - We've just got to hope she becomes strong enough to at least retire field sound and hopefully become a brood mare!
smile.gif

Kate x

bigboyrocky

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
If her legs are that weak-why on earth are you breeding her?

[/ QUOTE ]

if youd read the whole string of posts then you would know
laugh.gif
i asked this earlier

SusieT

Visit site
No-you got the answer that hopefully she'd be strong enough to carry the foal-what about genetic defects?

Puppy

Visit site
Sorry to hear such sad news
frown.gif
I've had to accept my beloved mare being retired to be a brood mare too
frown.gif
How old is H? Has your vet mentioned shock wave treatment? xx

Mbronze

www.cheshirehorsetaxi.weebly.com
I'm so sorry to hear this, i do hope things turn out for the best though and she will come through this strong enough xx

Caribb - In the nicest possible way isn't it better to at least sympathize with OP and offer support and personal experiences to someone going through a very hard time rather than criticise?

SusieT

Visit site
Yes-I totally sympathise, I had meant to say that, but I cannot believe anyone is considering breeding a horse who has not stood up to work/life in such a spectacular way, having had so many ligament problems as mentioned on here-perhaps that is clouding my 'nice' response, apologies, it was insensitive. I have my own retirees, and wouldn't consider breeding any of them as it was not unavoidable injury that left them that way.

H's mum

www.coligone.co.uk
Thanks for the responses - much appreciate the support

Caribb - The horse's issues aren't things that could be passed on to offspring but brought about by a hard competition life (prior to my having her she evented and team chased) and then she's worked well at dressage - I've spoken at length with my vet (who is very well known) and he thinks that she would be ideal as a brood mare - Thank you for your comments though
smile.gif

Kate x