Saddle Covers

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
I'm investigating what sort of saddle covers to have for my new brand - freebie ones that come with the saddle. The saddles I currently fit have a heavyweight cotton drill cover but I know fleece is very popular. I just wondered what you all like, and if you think sweatshirting might be a good idea - soft and fluffy for the saddle but won't attract muck like fleece.

Thanks all :)

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
we got free fleece ones with ours, they only had waterproofs on top before, I do think the fleece protects them a bit from going in and out the truck on a regular basis (more than a cotton would). Mum always puts hers away tidily mine gets chucked about and seems to do well for a good shake off apart from moulting time!

appylass

Visit site
Sweatshirt does sound quite good I much prefer my fleece one to cotton drill; it's just much easier to put on somehow but I guess sweatshirt fabric would be the same without attracting bits of hay and fluff and straw and shavings and and.........:)

muddygreymare

Visit site
I prefer fleece ones and use the one that came with my saddle. I'm not sure if I'd buy one though, just because I don't think they're essential, I just use mine because it came with the saddle :)

TicTac

Visit site
I love my fleece covers and have a variety of colours including a seriously pink one, which people take the mickey out of lol, but it's easy to find. If they get a bit hairy I just put them in the tumble dryer for a few minutes and that soon gets rid of any cling ons!

0ldmare

Visit site
We make 300-400 saddle covers a month (we make for various saddle manufacturers).

The best ones (I think) are fleece, the stretch in the fabric makes it fit and looks v smart. It feels and looks 'expensive'. Downside is you can't easily print on fleece so logos are best embroidered.

Cotton is ok, but not enough stretch and doesn't feel that luxurious, but can be printed onto

Sweatshirt would cost more, is printable, but doesn't have much stretch so may not look so smart.

Fleece and cotton cost a similar amount so on balance I'd go for fleece :)

whizzer

Visit site
I've got some that are waterproof with a really thick fleecy lining. I originally got them when I was at a yard(about 10 yrs ago) that had no tackroom. I was lugging saddles back & forth & they were getting scratched. Long since left that yard but used the covers ever since as they protect my saddles so well.

0ldmare

Visit site
Forgot to say laser engraving is a really good option for putting a logo onto fleece. Costs similar to printing but looks v upmarket and is cheaper than embroidery