Saddle dilemma WWYD

JulesRules

Visit site
Had the saddle fitter out yesterday as I want to buy the pony a Dressage saddle.

Tried a couple of Wide/Cob options as said pony is built like a coffee table, and my favorite option was the Bates Wide DR.

But this is where my problem lies. I'm set on having the saddle in Brown and this raises 2 issues - 1) to get the saddle made in Brown if I order now I'll get the saddle Sept or Oct, 2) to have saddle in Brown I have to have the upgraded leather which takes the saddle over budget. This isn't ideal as I'm about to get a new car so pennies are a bit limited.

The Wintec version is available in brown right now, and comes in under budget. I'm a fan of the new wintec's and pony is ridden in the Wide GP. If I hadn't sat in the Bates I probably would have been totally happy with the Wintec, but the DR will probably end up being the one he's mostly ridden in and my ❤ kind of wants the Bates..... but the Quest season will be over by the time I get it. I've managed this long ( over 2 years) with the GP but now I've got the ££ for a DR I'm feeling impatient.

My other option would of course be, just to have black. I could have it quickly and could have the standard leather which is closer to my original budget. The issue with this is the need to buy a new bridle, new webbers and new stirrups, which would take me back over budget ?.

The answer to my prayers would be to find a second hand one in Brown that I could have quickly and which came in under budget, but having scoured the internet I can only find an 18" which is too big. I did find a used Wintec in black for much cheaper and I'm tempted to buy it and then order the Brown and use the Wintec while I wait and then sell on...

I'm just so confused by my options! After sleeping on it I'm no closer to an answer

WWYD? Does anyone have any perals of wisdom that might help me to decide??

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
A black dressage saddle will be easier to sell on later, as dressage peeps prefer black tack. Get the saddle you prefer and is available now. Unless black would be a colour clash with your horse?

You could likely get a nice black bridle second hand.

Disclaimer - I prefer black tack (which offends the purists :D).

Fluffypiglet

Visit site
I would stick with your current saddle and order the one that you want, with ??that it turns up earlier than expected. Buying an interim saddle would just be spending money for no reason and you might as well go for the one you love. Delayed gratification is a thing isn't it? Albeit very delayed!!

Eta given the three different responses given so far, I'm not sure we're going to help with your decision!

Jeni the dragon

Visit site
I got a brown Wintec dressage on ebay, a few years ago now, for about £100! I wasn't particularly looking for brown as it was a stop gap!
I'd order the brown, and keep an eye out for a second hand Wintec.

lottiepony

Visit site
I agree with Fluffypiglet, be patient and get the brown Bates ordered. No point in spending extra money when it's really not necessary and you will end up with the saddle you want.
I was recently in the same position as was on the hunt for a brown Ideal Impala Pro dressage saddle as no way could I afford new. Luck was one my side as after waiting about 2 1/2 months the most beautiful one appeared on ebay so managed to get that. I was getting to the point where I thought I'd have to end up with black.
May be worth checking Facebook for used saddles pages specifically Bates and putting a wanted post up?

JulesRules

Visit site

Northern

Visit site
I would suggest looking at the Australian market, Bates is an Australian brand after all. They are dime a dozen here so even with postage should come in under budget.
What are the specs you're after? I can have a look on the FB sites I am part of :)
Feel free to PM if you like.

Widgeon

Visit site
I would suggest looking at the Australian market, Bates is an Australian brand after all. They are dime a dozen here so even with postage should come in under budget.
What are the specs you're after? I can have a look on the FB sites I am part of :)
Feel free to PM if you like.

Is that really true, do you think? I'm also thinking about a Bates (currently got a Wintec) but it had definitely never occured to me to ship a saddle all the way from Australia! Do you know what it would cost - have you ever sold and shipped one to the UK?

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
what paddi said.

fwiw I have a brown dressage saddle and do love it :p which is why it's been sat in the loft for 4 odd years now as they don't come up 2nd hand much.

eggs

Visit site
I've got a brown bates isabell welth dressage saddle 17.5 inch, Im thinking of selling, only used a few times x

I tried selling my brown IW Wintec dressage on eBay a few years ago and got no interest at all but the black one that I put on at the same time had a bunch of bids.

To be honest if you have set your heart on a brown Bates then wait for that one but I wouldn't worry about buying a matching bridle as once you are sitting on the saddle no-one is going to notice if the colours are not the same.

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
I'd get the black Bates, no one will ever notice you have a black saddle and brown bridle (no one ever notices it on mine). You can always get a new black bridle later.

If you got the Wintec you'd be always looking for it's replacement.

DirectorFury

Visit site
Buy the dream saddle and continue using your GP until it turns up - you've managed 2 years, another 5 months should be doable ;) *.

* the 4 months I had to wait for my custom saddle were utterly torturous but well worth it

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
October? Seriously, wow, most manufacturing schedules are back on track, everything I'm working on is 2-3 months at the most. I totally understand if you only want to use that fitter but there will be other options.

Britestar

Visit site
Many years ago I wanted a brown wintec dressage, wool not cair.
It is not a UK line, so had to be ordered from Australia specially.

I waited a long time for it too - probably it comes seafreight, and they will wait until the next shipment leaves.

The alternative is to get someone in Australia to buy it for you, and then send it across. The cost will be higher, but you'll get it sooner.

I still have mine, love it and secretly pleased it's probably the only one in the UK.

Northern

Visit site
Is that really true, do you think? I'm also thinking about a Bates (currently got a Wintec) but it had definitely never occured to me to ship a saddle all the way from Australia! Do you know what it would cost - have you ever sold and shipped one to the UK?

Yep, pretty much everyone has/has had a Bates here. Shipping over is easy, shipping TO Australia is harder with extra customs requirements. Honestly whether it goes to the Northern Hemisphere or Western Australia (for example) doesn't make a difference, the only difference is price. From what I can gather, overseas shipping to the UK is between 40-60 pounds, depending on whether it's going by air or sea freight. I've never shipped one to the UK but I would not have a problem doing so :)

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Unfortunately it needs to be the Wide version that takes the lilac bars. They are quite hard to come by anyway, but once you add in the brown they are like hen's teeth ?

Thanks though. Feel free to keep looking ?

Hi just asking how do you know what gullet bars they take do they not all fit every saddle then?