Saddle not right... Would you ride bareback?

kirstie

Visit site
My saddle is not right and it is going to take a while to sort as it is going to have to go back to Albion to be re adjusted.

I don't have another saddle and am getting frustrated with not being able to ride again- I have had many things getting in the way ranging from horse trying to cut her leg off, my broken back, her trying to cut her leg off again... You get the picture!

I broke my back 2 years ago and am managing the pain the best I can. I am so frustrated at not being able to ride, think I am just going to go without.

If you had no saddle, would you ride anyway? Horse can be sharp but never nasty. I think it would do my seat good and would have a neck strap just in case. Would only be in the school, wouldn't risk hacking out.

I think I just need reassurance that I'm not mad!

oldvic

Visit site
You could always fold a blanket and put it on with a surcingle - it is more comfortable and less slippery and might be better for your back! It is an excellent way to improve your seat!

WelshTilly

Visit site
Try it, I had a lesson a month or so ago and 15mins in my instructor asked if i was ok I was riding like a sack of spuds guarding my back I could feel it but am v good at putting up with the pain i would have just carried on, instructor got me off took my saddle off chucked me back on commented on how 'groomed' :p :rolleyes: horse was and off I went rest of lesson bareback WTC wish i hadnt groomed her that well she had been bathed that week too and as silky sleek to say the least but i felt so much better, since I now regularly school bareback it really helps my core and balance and reduces stress on my back I find it helps me same as lots of no stirrup work, you have to find out if it works for you and go from there ..:D

wench

Visit site
Are there Any saddlers near you that sell cheap second saddles that would do until the "real" one comes back

kirstie

Visit site
Thank you for the replies!

I am going to give it a go and see how it feels. I think it is going to be quite a while until my saddle is sorted. The saddler that sold me the saddle originally can't get up until 14th Sept, before the saddle even goes back to Albion and I don't really want her having that long off! Could be months if I am judging from previous experience of this saddler :mad:

I did think of getting something cheap in the mean time but she isn't easy to fit at all and I would be paranoid that it isn't right.

Hopefully I'll end up with a stronger core and seat! :)

Farma

Visit site
I ride bareback a lot and the only things to consider is that your knee does go forward more so your position is slightly different. Also if you do work the horse bareback if sweat builds up it will sore your skin so try to put something between your butt and the horse, no jods that I own were thick enough.

Dukey

Visit site
I'm currently riding one of mine bareback due to saddle issues! He is as safe as houses though. Mainly hack him but have schooled and jumped! Have a neck strap and use a pad... I rode the other day no pad and in shorts when I got off it looked like I needed a serious trim down there! Not a good look :D

robthecob

Visit site
I have spent the last FIVE months riding bareback whilst waiting for a sarcoid on the girth area to heal after being treated.

It has definately helped my riding but I will say it took me a while to let go. Stick a neck strap on and really concentrate on letting your legs go otherwise you bounce. Once I had found my position which as someone said will be a little incorrect as you will inevitably end up riding on your bum a little bit more with your legs pushed further forward it was great though. Im really looking forward to getting my saddle back on now though I must say but up until now I have been fine schooling and hacking without (only round the block) :)

Jenni_

www.facebook.com
Do it! Seriously, even if you have a bad back it might help.

I agree with the saddle pad and surcingle - if anything it will make it comfier, but also make you subconciously think you have a sadlle there and might help you relax into it.

you really have to learn to let your leg hang long, and really sit to the horse. Took me ages to really get the hang off 'the less you grip the easier it is'

It helped me because I'd alway been a jumper, stirrups up round my ears and tipped forward. Riding bareback helped me sit deep and back.

My mum has had chronic sciatica for years (not has disk wear) but the natural movement in walk eased her back apparantly instead of aggrivating it.

Sol

Visit site
I rode bareback on & off last autumn/winter as no saddle, dan even decided to promptly outgrow the one we borrowed! Jumping on a horse that's been stabled 24/7 for a week with nothing but walking out, with no saddle, when the ground is still somewhat solid, is NOT for the faint hearted however, and it encouraged me to promptly opt for a treeless saddle, that would not require replacing every 6 months! Now I generally opt to ride bareback when I can be for more optimistic about the outcome! :p It's done us both a lot of good though, but I've always ridden bareback when I could so it was just a matter of getting used to doing it on Dante. :)

mtj

Visit site
Do you know if your horse has ever been ridden bareback before?

Saddleless for a week recently and had a bareback sit on my 17yr old warmblood (quirky) after lunging, and I am sure this was his first experience. He held his back rigid for the first 20m before realising it was OK.

if you have any doubts, given your history, I would ask someone else to have a sit bareback first.

kirstie

Visit site
Thank you for all of the replies!

I am about to go and ride now and am taking OH just in case.

I broke her myself, I have hopped on once or twice without a saddle and she wasn't too fussed.

Will take advice re the saddle pad!

Thanks again all.