Saddle seat savers for sticking in the saddle!

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I have a really lovely show saddle for my bigger Arab and it fits him perfectly he really moves in it compared to his GP.

But I feel like I am going to slide off the side in it, it's really wide in the seat and it's quite new so the leather is so smooth, it also has not much knee roll although the seat is not pancake flat like some show saddles.

I used to love show saddles but as I have got older I have struggled with this one, it doesn't help the fact that my other horse has a dressage saddle which I love and they feel quite different.

I was wondering if a suede or gel seat cover would help me? Can you lot please let me know of your experiences of them and if you think it will give me a feeling of being more secure, he can be quite sharp when he spooks and it's put me off riding in it which is a shame as it fits him so well and his not easy to fit.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
It sounds like it's the seat width you're struggling with and that would be better to fix, but almost impossible, sadly. It will sound odd but try some felt or similar thick fabric, folded if need be, right up into the skirts, to the welting, and see if that helps at all, it might be worse so take it gently!

Grippy seat savers can help a lot, but they may make the saddle feel even wider which won't help. The Heather Moffett hip saver narrows the twist a little but not the seat.

There is a new rider shim pad supposedly coming out this month, but I'm not sure any of these options will be any good for the show ring.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
It sounds like it's the seat width you're struggling with and that would be better to fix, but almost impossible, sadly. It will sound odd but try some felt or similar thick fabric, folded if need be, right up into the skirts, to the welting, and see if that helps at all, it might be worse so take it gently!

Grippy seat savers can help a lot, but they may make the saddle feel even wider which won't help. The Heather Moffett hip saver narrows the twist a little but not the seat.

There is a new rider shim pad supposedly coming out this month, but I'm not sure any of these options will be any good for the show ring.

It is wide but I think the combination of slippery leather and not much in the way of blocks doesn't help, I give that a try with the felt I have some pads.

Do you think bigger knee blocks might help?

Smitty

Visit site
OK, despite not having ridden for years, I am somewhat of an expert here?

Full seat breeches with some sort of rubbery stuff for the seat
Keep saddle well moisturised with conditioner/soap etc so it's almost tacky

I also got some stuff in a push up yellow container that you applied to the saddle for extra grip - that worked well - will see if I can find it 8 years on ?

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I'd guess either size will be OK, they are fairly adjustable as there's a velcro fastening strap down the centre and 2 that secure under the panels. they are a bit stretchy, probably medium would be OK?

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
sporty haft spray is another thing you can try, but that's more for the flaps/on your boots I think (never tried it).

BSL2

Visit site
I have the acavello gel out. It was great, really helps keep you from sliding. Only used it hacking. However, I dont use it very much now. I love my Dublin summer weight breaches with gel. I feel closer to my horse, seat aids etc aren't diluted by all the padding. Could be spouting absolute rubbish, but that's what I found? (ps I have a very sharp Arab, so I need all the help I can get)

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I have the acavello gel out. It was great, really helps keep you from sliding. Only used it hacking. However, I dont use it very much now. I love my Dublin summer weight breaches with gel. I feel closer to my horse, seat aids etc aren't diluted by all the padding. Could be spouting absolute rubbish, but that's what I found? (ps I have a very sharp Arab, so I need all the help I can get)

I feel your pain I have 2 Arabs and the one with the slippery saddle is the sharpest one:) thanks for the heads up will look into those

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
I have used a gel out seat saver for about 10 years now. Two rides after I bought my first one my mare stumbled over a hidden ditch in a field, she went right down and tumbled onto her side leapt to her feet and galloped on with me still sitting in exactly in the same position without moving straight out the side door as I would most usually have done with that type of fall.

I have used one ever since they are the best bit of safety kit going IMO. they are a wee bit too sticky to start with but that soon resolves to a middle ground sticky after a few rides.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
It is wide but I think the combination of slippery leather and not much in the way of blocks doesn't help, I give that a try with the felt I have some pads.

Do you think bigger knee blocks might help?

They might feel like they help but ultimately all they do is introduce tension if your leg doesn't naturally sit where it should.

ecb89

Visit site
I’ve got the Acavallo gel out and it’s brilliant. Pair it with some sticky bums and you don’t move.
I use mine for hacking as I find it a bit ‘too sticky’ for schooling. However in the winter when I was having confidence issues with my lad I would pop it on for schooling for a confidence boost. I knew if he did anything I wasn’t going anywhere.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
They might feel like they help but ultimately all they do is introduce tension if your leg doesn't naturally sit where it should.

I only us gp blocks on my dressage saddle I didn't like the ones it came with they are huge, so I will try those on it as they are a bit wider than the current ones on it.