Saddle uncomfortable for me

pistolpete

Visit site
I had this in a thorowgood sold the flipping thing it was known as the crotch grabber! Bought a lovely Lavinia mitchell comfiest saddle ever.

ThreeFurs

Visit site
https://www.jellypantz.com/
Pretty sure they ship anywhere.

The jelly pad velcros to special knickers. I've found it good for hacking when there will be lots of walk.

However the real mystery was solved when a professional fitter came out recently to assess my new 2nd hand Otto dressage saddle [bad news comfortable for me, bad for horse, so has to be sold].

I said out of interest could he check my old saddle, a Wow dressage that created terrible rubbing and a 'chair' seat. He did, -it had been fitted to this horse, and was still a great fit for him. Said to the fitter, 'why is it tipping me back and rubbing'? and he spread his hands laterally over the seat, ie left little finger on cantle, right little finger touching pommel, thumbs meeting over the middle established exact mid point and looked at the angles from side on on and it was clear from lowest part of seat to pommel the rise was too steep and over padded for me. Ah! I thought. Had it for 10 years on three different horses and never felt I really 'sat right'.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Hence my comments on your thread, I take pelvic imprints which takes fitting the rider to a whole new level. Hopefully this will roll out across the industry but I wouldn't hold your breath.
I am the only saddle fitter using them as far as I know, the training is available to all and a few fitters and equine bodyworkers etc have done it, but applying it directly to saddles is the missing link. And some fitters are very good at fitting the rider, getting them more comfortable and/or into better alignment, but saddles are not designed/categorised to then be able to be easily matched to the rider, especially without the sort of objective information this kind of imprint and rider assessment generates.

The saddle fitter who has just helped me fit Baby Horse with a saddle offers this. She is quite excited about it.

Sadly, I didn't want to go there just yet, as Baby Horse is only just 5 and an old fashioned Irish type, so will be growing and changing for some time yet.

I had managed to secure a second hand Stride Free jump saddle, which could possibly have been 1/2 inch shorter for me but, as it was less than half price from new, yet looked brand new, I was keen to use it as the horse is big enough for that. So, it was beautifully adjusted to for Baby Horse, who is very happy in it and I experimented with different knee blocks to ensure I felt OK too. I just did XC schooling in it, and we both approved.

I tend to go with what the horse approves of, as long as it is reasonable for me, and, for me, that means I prefer to actually ride in the saddle I am buying, as opposed to ordering something bespoke. I have heard of so many people who have ordered bespoke and then either they or the horse haven't liked it when it has arrived - but they are stuck with it when the saddler says it fits.

I do have faith in this fitter though so maybe, when he has finished growing, we will get some bespoke dressage contraption!

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Ohhh ouch! Feeling your pain, it is a problem I have in "that area" if I get a pair of jods say with a seam which rubs. So am feeling your pain.

I found the HM saddles just didn't suit me, or anything I rode basically. I did try the Phoenix and the Vogue. Plus the HM FlexEE which was a total nightmare and seemed to be a different fit every time I rode in it. Apparently you have to wait 10 mins for the thing to "warm up". Yeah, right. Not helpful when you've set out from the yard on a cold frosty morning and you know you're sitting on a fire-cracker, on something that doesn't fit!!

Also had a HM seat-saver. Can honestly say this was the most uncomfortable piece of kit I've ever sat on. Stuck it for 20 mins and then had to take it off. Like sandpaper in the lady-bits.......... can see why you can always get one off e-bay in "good used condition", right?

Sorry, wish I knew what to advise you with your saddle situation. Some very good suggestions on here about how to protect one's "sensitive bits". I tried the TCS (Total Contact Saddle) and found that gave me a huge problem "down there". Shame, coz I actually liked the concept and badly wanted it to work for me/pony.

Widgeon

Visit site
This is definitely an interesting thread! And a good illustration of the fact that a saddle that one person thinks is wonderful can be a literal pain in the backside (or frontside?) for someone else.