Sales livery for horseboxes

chaps89

Visit site
Apologies, I have no idea what the proper terminology is!

I contacted a reputable company to see if they wanted to buy my horsebox so I don’t have to deal with joe bloggs public.
They came back and said yes, they would take it in to sell for me and make sure I get £x amount for it. So it sounds like they will sell on my behalf rather than buy outright from me which is what I was hoping for.
They’ve not mentioned any other terms etc, is there anything else I should be thinking about?
I’m traumatised from trying to sell a car and having people offer 50% of its value and not sure I can face that with my box too so don’t mind taking a hit on price selling to a trader to avoid that tbh but I’m feeling a bit wary that it seems to be on a sales livery type arrangement, not sure why?

TPO

Visit site
Jake Rose from Warwickshire Horseboxes bought mine outright. I'm in Scotland and someone came and collected it.

He paid me a holding deposit then transferred the rest on the day. It couldn't have been easier. He's also offering £50 to anyone who tags him in sales ads on fb for vehicles he ultimately buys.

chaps89

Visit site
That’s who I contacted as I recalled you saying you’d had a good experience with him.
I wonder if it’s because it’s not as fancy/new as other boxes I’ve seen him sell?
Whilst I appreciate he has the faff of dealing with buyers and showing it off, if I’m not guaranteed my money I almost feel like I’d rather take my chances trying to sell it myself given the price difference between trade and market price.
Don’t get me wrong, he has to make something on it too I know and that was why I was happy to take a hit on the price for a guaranteed sale but I don’t feel like this is iyswim?

TPO

Visit site
That’s who I contacted as I recalled you saying you’d had a good experience with him.
I wonder if it’s because it’s not as fancy/new as other boxes I’ve seen him sell?
Whilst I appreciate he has the faff of dealing with buyers and showing it off, if I’m not guaranteed my money I almost feel like I’d rather take my chances trying to sell it myself given the price difference between trade and market price.
Don’t get me wrong, he has to make something on it too I know and that was why I was happy to take a hit on the price for a guaranteed sale but I don’t feel like this is iyswim?

Ah right. Mine was a 2001 Iveco coachbuilt. Is yours a van type?

If its them that's offered you to give you X from a sale and you are happy with X then all I can say is I found him excellent to deal with and lots of good reviews on on fb.

The prices of 3.5ts are mental right now and I would imagine out of a lot of peoples reach. Something at the lower end will probably get snapped up.

I'd just check who's insurance is covering the van while with the merchant and what happens if theres an accident on a test drive etc

Leandy

Visit site
Please check out whoever you send it to thoroughly. Some of these people are on very shaky ground financially and I certainly knew of someone a while ago who went bust and disappeared. A number of horror stories then came out of lorries sold on and the owner not being told it had sold until a good while later, or not at all....... including one owner who on asking why her (expensive) lorry was no longer at his yard was cheerily told it was out on trial for a couple of days. Well she saw it at a show the following day and approached the people to introduce herself and enquire whether they liked it and were interested in buying. Turned out they had bought and paid for it several weeks previously.

Frumpoon

Visit site
Jake Rose from Warwickshire Horseboxes bought mine outright. I'm in Scotland and someone came and collected it.

He paid me a holding deposit then transferred the rest on the day. It couldn't have been easier. He's also offering £50 to anyone who tags him in sales ads on fb for vehicles he ultimately buys.

Know him of old....

Probably ok to sell to but would never buy off him

chaps89

Visit site
I’ve had a search on fb, preloved, eBay and horse quest and can’t find anything similar to compare to on price, there seems to be nothing for sale?
Another concern, I wanted to sell trade as there’s only 2 month mot left, if he isn’t buying outright I guess I have to cover mot and associated costs at which point if I’ve had that expense and hassle I may as well sell myself. Hmmm, food for thought anyway.
Slightly concerned by @Leandy experience, that would be horrific.
This is the most expensive thing I own, will be my final contribution needed for a house deposit but also has a lot of emotional attachment as it took my late mare everywhere.
Weirdly they have nothing listed on their website and very little on their FB page. Beyond recommendation unthread, how else can I check their reputation?

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I didn’t find it a hassle to sell my old lorry. As long as you describe it well, price it realistically and make it clear no offers then I think it’ll be ok. I had it on my own FB first then local selling (before marketplace) just to see what I got. I had one viewing but it was not quite what they wanted. I then advertised it on horse quest and got a lot of enquiries but in the meantime I sold it via an ad in the local tack shop.

From watching the FB selling pages for a long time there is a dodgy dealer that operates out of Wisbech, Cambs who keeps changing her name. There is a male name also associated. So avoid them.

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
Chaps89 is it a van conversion? If so I can PM you what I sold/advertised mine for and what issues it had if that helps?

I was inundated with responses and the first to view bought, it sold in a week so made the process less difficult as mine had a lot of emotional value too.

chaps89

Visit site
Chaps89 is it a van conversion? If so I can PM you what I sold/advertised mine for and what issues it had if that helps?

I was inundated with responses and the first to view bought, it sold in a week so made the process less difficult as mine had a lot of emotional value too.
It is, it’s not the prettiest thing to look at but mechanically it’s super sound and reliable, just not getting used enough to warrant keeping it, if you’re happy to PM me I’d be very grateful.

in fairness his offer is fair for the current condition but I’ve asked him to clarify who is covering mot etc. It’s weighing up whether it’s then worth mot-ing it myself and beyond that whether it’s worth me tarting up the bodywork etc or not.

Renvers

Visit site
Know him of old....

Probably ok to sell to but would never buy off him

Thats is exactly what I thought when I saw his name. Although the quality of box he sells seems to have improved since he moved yard so maybe he is redeeming himself?

ROMANY 1959

Visit site
I would do mot now, and advert it yourself. I sold mine before the add hit H&H magazine, so wasted £60 ? in fact I got more for mine , a BOSS box, than what I paid for it 5 years before.. as they were so in demand and scarce as hens teeth

chaps89

Visit site
Mot he would do but any repairs would be at my cost. Not expecting any issues but if the box is a few hundred miles away I don’t feel good having an unknown do it.
I’ve said I’ll have it mot’d here then be in touch.

Sorry, this has been a very rambly thread but it’s made me work out I’ll take a hit on price for a straight forwards sale but if I’ve got to wait and still have the hassle of sorting the mot etc then I might as well do it myself and try to get a better price.
You wait for the bottom to fall out of the market now! ?

Flyermc

Visit site
if it helps (slightly) this is what i would do

get it mot'ed and serviced (keep receipts)
clean (wash) and tidy it - add good pictures
place an ad with good, relevant, brief details (bullet points) so its easy to read on a good website
clearly put the price on and location

this way -
you have covered your self mechanically by an independent person
you have shown it off the best
you have given clear details

i did this, but with a trailer and it got snapped up to the first people who saw it. They had traveled a good distance to view it and was happy to do so because it had just been serviced, so knew it was sound. i gave the copies of all the receipts for the works id just had done.

sunnyone

Visit site
Is Dorset too far for you?
Winterborne Horseboxes do everything, including sales livery.
About 6:years ago we bought one of their boxes from somebody local to us. We kept it for a year or so before it went back to Winterborne for sale. They took a reasonable commission and we lost about £500 or so on the purchase and resale which was very fair given that we piled the mileage on it going to Spain and France about 4 times and then used it as a workshop!

Barlow

Visit site
A friend sold her 3.5 tonne through Peper Harrow as she didn’t want the hassle of dealing with the sale herself. They took it and sold it the same weekend as they have a waiting list apparently. You could also try three counties or travel two horseboxes? I’d be tempted to stick it on Facebook if you don’t mind dealing with the sale yourself - market always seems strong for these boxes

AFB

Visit site
A friends just sold mine for me as I couldn't cope with dealing with the FB morons - and she had it gone within a week.

Lower end of the market, got what I wanted for it but we advertised for considerably more so we had wiggle room for those ridiculous offers. I wrote a very full and honest ad to avoid any comeback.

phizz4

Visit site
I would get it MOT'd, have any issues put right, advertise it with an accurate description, at a price with some negotiation room (you down, them up). Then, when they arrive to view, have a trusted friend/partner etc with you so you feel safe and are less likely to be intimidated. If it's priced realistically it will sell easily.