Sales livery

05jackd

Visit site
Following on from my other thread about the absolute timewasters and dreamers that I have had for my small broodmare I am now seriously considering sales livery in the Autumn as realistically I need to sell one or perhaps both of my big mares.

Both have trained to advanced medium and one was successfully competing at medium. Neither have had injuries and at 9 and 12 they are really in their prime. One has bred us one foal and the other two. All foals have been quality and one of this years fillies is outstanding. No one seems to want to pay for good broodmares and thus I am thinking I would have more joy selling them if I bring them back into work.

I neither have the brave pants or facilities for this so I am looking for recommendations for someone who bring them back into work and then sell them for me. I can do all the lunging and tack on etc after weaning but would want a capable rider to put a bit of work in getting them going and showing them to their full potential.

One I would say is amateur suitable but the other is more a professional ride, so I want someone competent and comfortable with hot sports horses and preferably a good track record at selling similar types.

We are based in Scotland so closer the better but I am happy to consider all options to get the right person for them. Has anyone got any recommendations?

QuantockHills

Visit site
Natalie Passmore would have been perfect for you but she's in Somerset! Competes at a high level in Dressage and also evented... may be worth a couple of hundred quid for a transported if you don't find anyone else....

05jackd

Visit site
Natalie Passmore would have been perfect for you but she's in Somerset! Competes at a high level in Dressage and also evented... may be worth a couple of hundred quid for a transported if you don't find anyone else....
Thanks - I will have a look. I don't mind spending the money on transport to get the right person.

Birker2020

Visit site
Following on from my other thread about the absolute timewasters and dreamers that I have had for my small broodmare I am now seriously considering sales livery in the Autumn as realistically I need to sell one or perhaps both of my big mares.

Both have trained to advanced medium and one was successfully competing at medium. Neither have had injuries and at 9 and 12 they are really in their prime. One has bred us one foal and the other two. All foals have been quality and one of this years fillies is outstanding. No one seems to want to pay for good broodmares and thus I am thinking I would have more joy selling them if I bring them back into work.

I neither have the brave pants or facilities for this so I am looking for recommendations for someone who bring them back into work and then sell them for me. I can do all the lunging and tack on etc after weaning but would want a capable rider to put a bit of work in getting them going and showing them to their full potential.

One I would say is amateur suitable but the other is more a professional ride, so I want someone competent and comfortable with hot sports horses and preferably a good track record at selling similar types.

We are based in Scotland so closer the better but I am happy to consider all options to get the right person for them. Has anyone got any recommendations?
You might find that the cost of sending them to a sales livery for them to school them to sell on (which will presumably take quite a bit of time to restart them again) plus the additional time it will take to advertise them and then get potential purchasers to view them might outweigh any disadvantages of trying to sell them yourself.

Its anything from £100 - £200 per week depending on whom you use. They also take a percentage of the sale price. You might not end up with much profit especially if they don't think that the potential to reach the price you want to sell them for is realistic.

Reactions: JBM

Annagain

Visit site
If you're prepared to travel her, Natalie is very good. So is Mitty Hardy in Ledbury (so not quite so far). She took Charlie after he'd had steroid injections for KS and about a month off, got him back into work and then sold him for me (with full disclosure). She's more of an eventer but would certainly do the dressage justice.

Bobthecob15

Visit site
Mitty is good, lots of people locally rave about her.

Agreed re cost vs benefit, find one that has an ideally quick turnover or at least a good name so they get lots of interest...otherwise you could be paying sales livery for months on end. Have known people pay for months then obviously a percentage of the sales price.

Word of mouth is key for good places, rarely see them advertise on the websites etc as no need to x

05jackd

Visit site
You might find that the cost of sending them to a sales livery for them to school them to sell on (which will presumably take quite a bit of time to restart them again) plus the additional time it will take to advertise them and then get potential purchasers to view them might outweigh any disadvantages of trying to sell them yourself.

Its anything from £100 - £200 per week depending on whom you use. They also take a percentage of the sale price. You might not end up with much profit especially if they don't think that the potential to reach the price you want to sell them for is realistic.
I agree. It is a big balancing act but I am hoping having a record at medium and having trained Adv Med will mean she is worth decent money if sound and riding nicely. I am happy to take advice from the professionals on what they should be advertised at.

I definitely do not want to be paying livery for months on end though so having a good client base is a must for me!

irishdraft

Visit site
I have seen him advertising. Never seen a dressage horse but I can certainly ask.
He sells hunters , eventers & all rounders, I've never seen a pure dressage horse but he certainly gets lots of buyers but probably not what your looking for.

Widgeon

Visit site
I have seen him advertising. Never seen a dressage horse but I can certainly ask.

I think JTW tends to do hunters; his partner (I think also called Jack!) deals in the more "sporty" types, so he'd probably have access to a more suitable audience.

spacefaer

Visit site
Person I'd recommend with an outstanding sales record would be Vicki Hancox in Worcestershire.
Worth speaking to the Jacks as they're nearer you although they wouldn't be known for selling dressage horses

spacefaer

Visit site
What relation does Gavin Hetherington and his partner Jess Coggins have to North East Sports Horses then or are they not based there and I've got that wrong?
I'm sure someone said that JTW was based at the same yard. Jack seems to have a really good reputation.
I would (and have) buy a horse from JTW. You couldn't give me a horse from GH.