Salt licks in field..

tobiano1984

Visit site
Who has salt licks in the field? Mine all have himalayan licks in the stable, but are currently all living out.

What are the actual benefits? I've generally followed the thought that if they want it they need it (apart from anything with sugar in it :p) and some of my horses go through licks very quickly, others don't touch them.

I went to the feed merchant and the only paddock licks they had were compound ones full of molasses and assorted tempting stuff. I would ideally like something that's just salt or maybe with some vits/minerals but definitely no sugar or tasty stuff.

Can anyone recommend a brand/source? I hung a himalayan one in the field last year and it rained and then it was gone :(

Alexart

Visit site
Mine have always had a large salt lick in the field/stable/barn all year round as they can't migrate like wild horses to find naturally occurring salt, they definitely need it just like we do, I replace when needed, in winter they get a molassed lick too once every 2 weeks or so.

Tern

Visit site
Had a horselyx - They checked it around and snapped plastic everywhere now have a NAF salt lick in the field on the floor - i have seen them touch is occasionally but worn down so not longer can put in the string!

Dry Rot

Visit site
Ideally, you need to get a soil analysis done, or at least speak to your neighbours. My soil is deficient in copper and cobalt so I'm another who puts Red Rockies out in the field and have always done so. (You can get blocks without copper as some breeds of sheep are intolerant to copper). Lambs do not thrive if they are deprived of either of these minerals on my land so I assume it will be no different for foals and young stock. I noticed a week old foal helping himself at a block the other day and they all definitely go for it hammer and tongs if I put one out after forgetting for a few days.

Equi

Visit site
I did but the rain kept filling up the bucket and wasting it. So i have it now in the holding pen so that when im mucking out or grooming or generally keeping them out of the way they have access to it.

Houndman

Visit site
Rockies yellow big block. I have a canopy over the top to prevent them being dissolved away by rain. (note you mustn't have the red blocks out where you also keep sheep!)

Inthesticks

Visit site
I have the hymalain salt tied up on a ring to the field shelter at the moment, usually use the rockies white salt lick as I have sheep in the field and the other ones are not suitable for them.

Dry Rot

Visit site
A bit OT, but what are people paying for Red Rockies? I paid over £10 for a block the other day and that does seem very expensive. Was I done?