Sarah Moulds

Birker2020

Visit site
Tbh I hope she gets her job back. She was stupid but this has just been a political witch hunt.
But she thinks that her actions were appropriate which is very worrying.

The articles say that she said Bruce was a child's pony, and that it was appropriate chastising for his bad behaviour. I don't think it was appropriate. I expect she was tired after a days hunting, eager to get loaded and return home and things got fraught.

I agree that it has been a witch hunt to a degree and she has been punished considerably due to the media attention and I feel sorry for her kids. I'm sorry but I honestly dont think that should be a reason for her to have her job back.

Birker2020

Visit site
She may well be advised to take her former employer to ET for wrongful dismissal - and she may well win. Employer, if they didn't want her to be in school, should have suspended her on full pay pending the outcome of the trial
They would have suspended her on full pay. Suspension falls under reasonable and proper cause from memory. It has to be regularly reviewed. I think you can be suspended for 6 months on full pay but I'm not 100% sure on the terms, I think it depends on your contract.

Last edited:

Parrotperson

Visit site
The problem for her ex employers is that video. She can’t deny it was her.

I wouldn’t want her any where near my children. And I suspect the parents of the school will make that plain to the governors.

It shouldn’t have got as far as it did however would you want her around children?

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site

I doubt if she does. I suspect she knows full well that she lost her temper and her actions were unreasonable. But understandably she didn't want a criminal conviction, and it was a pretty easy case to win when people are hitting horses with whips on the TV week in week out, as they are.

Clodagh

Visit site

The articles say that she said Bruce was a child's pony, and that it was appropriate chastising for his bad behaviour. I don't think it was appropriate. I expect she was tired after a days hunting, eager to get loaded and return home and things got fraught.

I agree that it has been a witch hunt to a degree and she has been punished considerably due to the media attention and I feel sorry for her kids. I'm sorry but I honestly dont think that should be a reason for her to have her job back.
I doubt the pony was tired. The hunt were sabbed and would have done nothing all day, the pony was just poorly loaded by a child, understandably took itself off for a jolly and her frustrations boiled over.
Yes it was wrong. Is the pony scarred for life? No. Is she likely to punch a child? No.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
They would have suspended her on full pay. Suspension falls under reasonable and proper cause from memory. It has to be regularly reviewed. I think you can be suspended for 6 months on full pay but I'm not 100% sure on the terms, I think it depends on your contract.
A teacher can be suspended for as long as the employer sees fit, if you are employed under STPCD (Schoolteachers' Pay & Conditions Document). If they had suspended her pending a trial, of course the suspension would have had to be for as long as it took to get to a verdict.

Last edited:

Oldernewbie

Visit site
I’m actually genuinely shocked that there are members of this forum who seem to be defending or excusing this dreadful woman. Since when did it become acceptable to PUNCH a horse in the head? Really? Its violence and I for one couldn’t give a f*** if she has been found ‘not guilty’ which any ordinary person can see if crap!
I’ve never been more relieved to be on a yard with zero tolerance to violence or punishment towards another species.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Indeed, but to whack it on the head? I sincerely hope not.

I would not permit that woman to teach my child.
There is a huge difference between being at work in a school, in your professional capacity, with other adults present and being out enjoying your hobby while feeling threatened by thugs and hooligans jeering and threatening.
No, I don't think she should have reacted the way she did but the context is very different from her professional life.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I’m actually genuinely shocked that there are members of this forum who seem to be defending or excusing this dreadful woman. Since when did it become acceptable to PUNCH a horse in the head? Really? Its violence and I for one couldn’t give a f*** if she has been found ‘not guilty’ which any ordinary person can see if crap!
I’ve never been more relieved to be on a yard with zero tolerance to violence or punishment towards another species.
I don’t think any poster has defended her actions.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Well @Pearlsasinger I’m both a horse owner and a parent and theres no chance in hell that woman would be teaching my children, professionals have a duty to uphold the good standing of their profession even when ‘off duty’ and this woman has failed absolutely in that core principle.
So you seriously think that a woman, who has been found 'Not Guilty' should never be able to work again?

Birker2020

Visit site
I doubt the pony was tired. The hunt were sabbed and would have done nothing all day, the pony was just poorly loaded by a child, understandably took itself off for a jolly and her frustrations boiled over.
Yes it was wrong. Is the pony scarred for life? No. Is she likely to punch a child? No.
No I said 'I expect she was tired' not the pony.

Birker2020

Visit site
There is a huge difference between being at work in a school, in your professional capacity, with other adults present and being out enjoying your hobby while feeling threatened by thugs and hooligans jeering and threatening.
No, I don't think she should have reacted the way she did but the context is very different from her professional life.
And I refer you to reply 31, paragraph one. Back full circle.

Oldernewbie

Visit site
@Pearlsasinger by all means let her work but certainly not in a professional capacity where her good character is an integral aspect of her role. Maybe I’m inhabiting another planet but I’m a professional myself and risk assess for DV and harm to others daily. Violence to animals is considered a huge red flag and speaks of extremely poor impulse control.
Someone doesn’t go from ‘nothing’ to punching an animal in the face/ head kicking and slapping it- so I imagine this formed an extreme end of what this person considered normal ir acceptable.

Birker2020

Visit site
I don’t think any poster has defended her actions.
I think it's just that some people on the forum are shocked that others should feel incredulous that she should be sacked. I wonder if the people who feel strongly that she shouldn't have are in the same profession.

meleeka

Visit site
I agree, I bet the RSPCA wouldn't have bothered if she'd been doing anything other than hunting
I would have agreed, until I was told of someone very local to me being prosecuted for the very same thing, on a yard, so nothing to do with hunting. It was videod in secret, but looked very similar to this clip.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
So you seriously think that a woman, who has been found 'Not Guilty' should never be able to work again?
That is not what anyone has said 🤷‍♀️.

Whether anyone would feel comfortable entrusting their young child to her care in an educational setting is another thing. Honestly, what school would want or need the hassle of having her on their staff?

As a parent, I would have removed my child from a school rather than have them taught by her - which is my prerogative.

There are plenty of other careers where someone with a known short fuse can work.

Last edited:

Birker2020

Visit site
No, I’m not nor have ever been a teacher.
There are a few on here that disagree with what's happened and they are for definite.
Is she likely to punch a child? No.
You can't possibly know that. No one can. But for the avoidance of doubt precautions are taken against such people, and that is suspension and loss of ones job. Its extremely worrying that some of the people on this forum that can't make the connection are in the teaching profession and feel she's been hard done by. But that's another story for another day.

Pebble101

Visit site
The pony wanders off, you catch him and slap him - what's the lesson there?
Presumably she or her children allowed it to wander off in the first place. It was a completely inappropriate response to punish it when it returned. If mine have ever got away I grit my teeth, get some food and tell them what good boys they are when they come to me.

SkylarkAscending

Visit site
Does anyone actually know the reason she was dismissed from her job? I would strongly suspect bringing her employer into disrepute and irrevocable breakdown of trust & confidence between employer and employee.

She won’t be going to a tribunal if those are the reasons for dismissal, they apply regardless of the verdict in the trial.

Anyone who slaps a horse around the head like that is not fit to own or be near any horse.