Sarcoids anyone experienced them?

Shellinch

Visit site
I have been given a mare with a sarcoids right on the girth area. It was size of golf ball.

I have the brown cream to put on it daily for 7 days which was given to me with her and provided by vet. It dries up and then some skin falls off and scab leaving it bloody and fleshy and then it will dry up a bit more. It has also been banded. I do feel it's for smaller however not seeing that it looks like it will fall off yet.

How long do they normally take to fall off? After the 7 days do I get vet back out? Or give it a few weeks to see if it drops off?

The cream is 7 days tomorrow.

Thanks

X

xspiralx

What is the cream?

My horse had sarcoids but we treated them with Liverpool cream which the vet has to apply - his took probably 3-4 months to completely drop off so 7 days seems pretty short. But I'd call your vet and talk to them - they'll be able to advise.

spookypony

Visit site
Have you had the vet out already, or was that the previous owner? If it was the previous owner, I'd recommend getting the vet out yourself. There are several types of sarcoid and several types of treatment, which I suspect you know already, and the vet would be best positioned to advise/get a consultation with Liverpool, etc.

Shellinch

Visit site
Hiya not sure what cream it is but they said not to get it in your hands and it's burns going on and stings horse. I wish this had an option for me to add photos as I'm on my phone. Could show you the progress then x

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
This is in such critical area in a ridden horse. You need a vet to tell you if it's going OK, not strangers on the internet. I'm saying this as someone who has removed dozens, it is not a job you should take on for the first time without knowing what the cream is you are using and how it should be expected to progress. Please ask the vet who supplied the cream to take another look.

peaceandquiet1

Visit site
This is in such critical area in a ridden horse. You need a vet to tell you if it's going OK, not strangers on the internet. I'm saying this as someone who has removed dozens, it is not a job you should take on for the first time without knowing what the cream is you are using and how it should be expected to progress. Please ask the vet who supplied the cream to take another look.

agree

spookypony

Visit site
Is the cream not labelled? Can't be Liverpool cream unless the vet is dodgy, as that's only meant to be applied/handled by a vet. Camrosa, maybe? Either way, would say it sounds like it's time to have your own vet out!

booandellie

Visit site
Is it XXterra? i have heard this burns and is uncomfortable for the horse. I have just bought a pony and found some growths on her inner thigh area, previous owner said she had never seen them (surprise surprise) but i believe they are sarcoids and will be getting vet to take a look. have heard that people have used Sarc-ex by global herbs and also toothpaste cos of the fluoride to treat with some success. from the research i've done though i think ou have been given xxterra

booandellie

Visit site
Thanks scewal, saves me trying it . Has anyone tried balanced eco solutions sarcoid cleansing salve. It is about 75 quid for a big tub and the bumph says it is 85-95% effective in getting rid of them. Wondered if worth a try before i go down vet route and they are still relatively small. Any tips or advice gratefully received

LHIS

Visit site
I'm treating for one at the moment with some herbal/homeopathic treatment using an extract called Thuja. It's early days so I'm not sure if it's having any effect but the offending sarcoid appears to have shrunk.
If it doesn't work I will reassess and may try something else, or leave well alone.

ycbm

Visit site
I have tried Sarc - ex and it did nothing, very expensive experiment.

I tried it and found it 100% effective on preventing the return of sarcoids I was removing on a horse with a habit of growing them every time he was stressed in the slightest. I've known it be excitedly effective on another horse that wasn't mine, which was why I tried it. I think it depends on whether the virus is active or whether the details are just dormant but 'there' iyswim. Also depends on the horse, I guess.

sychnant

Visit site
One of mine is on Sarc Ex at the moment. She had one in her armpit about the size of the tip of my little finger. Within a week it had dried up and dropped off.

booandellie

Visit site
I have read of people using turmeric ( which seems to be the cure all for every ailment going ), and fluoride toothpaste or mouthwash sprayed on. i understand it is flies that spread the sarcoids so have bin rubbing a citronella antibacterial salve over them so that flies can't get to them. Do most people cover them in summer or just leave them alone?

pennyturner

Visit site
I have had 3 youngsters with sarcoids, although non were in a critical place:

One was a huge pendulous stalky monster of a thing, the size of a tangerine. I wrapped tail hair around it and it fell off within a couple of days. Didn't come back.
One 10p sized nodule under skin on chest. Arrived as yearling, had gone by the time he was 2yo. No further issues.
One 10p sized nodule on surface of skin, more like a wart, on tummy. Arrived as 2yo. Now rising 5, still there but almost flat now.

I suspect many that are treated would go away with time in the ordinary run of things.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
blood root ointment?

Liverpool cream contains chemotherapy agents, from their site.
'AW4-LUDES probably carries the best results of the available topical materials- although this is far from perfect. The material is based on 5-fluorouracil and has a natural plant oil as an essential enhancing agent. Various antimitotic and cytotoxic chemicals are included in the several strengths available. There are variations in the power, duration and interval between treatments. '

We used 5-Fluoro-uracil cream on Frank's suspected squamous cell carcinoma.

asmp

Visit site
Our youngster had a few. We tried Liverpool cream but it didn't seem to work so the vet banded them (this was nearly two years ago). They fell off pretty quickly and I was pleased when I clipped him a few weeks ago that apart from a pink area, there were no lumps. Saying all that - another one that appeared last year, seemed to 'pop' and disappeared on its own. I will try and post some pics.

scewal

Visit site
Ycbm, my mare recently had another sarcoid pop up so certainly not dormant. My friend tried Sarc ex too and it did nothing for hers either.

Regandal

Visit site
blood root ointment?

Liverpool cream contains chemotherapy agents, from their site.
'AW4-LUDES probably carries the best results of the available topical materials- although this is far from perfect. The material is based on 5-fluorouracil and has a natural plant oil as an essential enhancing agent. Various antimitotic and cytotoxic chemicals are included in the several strengths available. There are variations in the power, duration and interval between treatments. '

We used 5-Fluoro-uracil cream on Frank's suspected squamous cell carcinoma.

Thank you. Lethal stuff.

asmp

Visit site
m

One dropped off straight away (black blob to the right of the banded one)

Both are just pink marks now which can only be seen when clipped.

ycbm

Visit site
Ycbm, my mare recently had another sarcoid pop up so certainly not dormant. My friend tried Sarc ex too and it did nothing for hers either.

I said it depends on the horse. It didn't work on yours but it worked on mine, another I know, and dozens that I have heard of. I wouldn't write it off because it didn't work on some others. Sarcex has got eight or more things in it, many of which have successful clinical trials for suppression of tumours and enhancement of the immune response. I researched every one of them before I bought it.

scewal

Visit site
Ok!!! I merely said hers are not dormant!
I am fully aware of the ingredients and the fact some have had great results. However for me it was a wasted £200.

Last edited:

jules9203

www.pensdellequestrian.org.uk
I really think it depends on the horse and the sarcoid. My mare developed a tiny one near her girth when she was 9. It dropped off on its own, however it came back bigger. I have tried homeopathic treatments, such as Thuja, and then the veterinary route - banding, freezing and bloodroot cream. Everytime it has come back bigger and more aggressive. I have used practically every feed additive I can find, with no success. She is now 16 and it is golf ball size and I cant get a girth on any more. I'm not prepared to go down the Liverpool cream route as it seems no matter what I do to it it comes back and bigger. I wash it with salt water but other than that I cannot put any form of cream or treatment on it without it bleeding and weeping.
Fingers x you have more luck, lots do!

ycbm

Visit site
Ok!!! I merely said hers are not dormant!
I am fully aware of the ingredients and the fact some have had great results. However for me it was a wasted £200.

I am sorry you are annoyed by me trying to encourage people to try sarcex and not be put off by your experience of it. I paid £105 for a five kilo tub and it was obvious to me that it was working before that tub ended. So anyone who wants to try it need waste no more than a hundred or so. And if it works, it's a cheap cure!

scewal

Visit site
There is no harm in pointing out to people too that it isn't 100% effective treatment for all. Having a large horse and feeding for 6 months as recommended by global herbs, soon gobbles up £200!

ycbm

Visit site
There is no harm in pointing out to people too that it isn't 100% effective treatment for all. Having a large horse and feeding for 6 months as recommended by global herbs, soon gobbles up £200!

I do not understand what you want from me.

Are you trying to put people off trying sarcex?

If so, then I would say that if someone buys it and it doesn't work with the first five kilos, give up and they've lost £105.

And if they never try it, they will probably end up paying five or ten times as much on other treatment and possibly lose the horse.

Yes, it didn't work on yours. That's no reason for other people not to try it, or are you saying that you think it is? And if all you are saying is that it didn't work on your horse, then we got that message with your first post.

I'm really puzzled why you seem to want a fight over this?

Last edited:

scewal

Visit site
What I want from you? Nothing! You seem to have a problem with me pointing out it didn't work! I am not after a fight, how silly! 🙄.
I have used and still do other global herb products with great success.
As in my orginal post all I pointed out was it didn't work for me!
End of!

Last edited: