Sarcoid's or Warts? Treatments and options.

JCbruce

Visit site
Hello. I have a just turned 4 year old warmblood who I noticed has several little lumps that have come up very quickly on his groin and sheath area. Obviously I panicked and first thought sarcoids.

After doing some research and seeing other peoples opinions it's possibly this can be papilloma virus or juvenile warts. He is insured and I do have the vet coming in a couple weeks to jab him anyway however, I am thinking I might see if boosting his immune system helps prior. He spend over 7 months on box rest last year from bad vet treatment being poked and needled and I think I really owe it to him to try all options before going down the laser or Liverpool cream route. I also assumed he wouldn't be able to receive any treatment for a few months from the flys anyway.

I have ordered supplement from immubiome for immune system, have also ordered some thuja tablets and cream although haven't decided if I will actually use this and have been looking into SarcX suppliments. Obviously any changes or worries I will get the vet out at first instance but if I get them to come and look for suspected sarcoids and its not then either way they are excluded on my insurance policy.

Can I ask if other people have has similar situations, what treatments were used and how successful they were. Thank you. Please no nasty comments trying to figure out the best options for my very very sweet boy.

Attachments

• sheath 3.jpg
    sheath 3.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 70

meleeka

Visit site
If he were mine I’d waiting and see, until later on in the year. I wouldn’t mention it to the vet yet, or you’ll get an exclusion anyway. It’s quite likely they’ll resolve on their own based on my limited experience. I’d be more concerned if it was just one.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Juvenile warts are tiny and almost always on the nose. I've never seen any there but they are in a classic place for sarcoids and do look like sarcoids I'm afraid.

At this point I would do everything you can for immune support and wait.

Last edited:

bubsqueaks

Visit site
We had very similar but much more all over the sheath area & when vet did teeth had him check them - he said to put iodine on them daily as they were warts & after several weeks they dropped off. He does have a larger whiter lump right in front of his sheath which we suspect is a sarcoid which will have to be lasered.

JBM

Visit site
Oh Ive not heard of that - off to research - thank you!
no worries! This is the difference
Got red then fell off
Took about 3 months or so

Attachments

• AA26E722-4311-4236-A0AF-289799A52114.jpeg
    AA26E722-4311-4236-A0AF-289799A52114.jpeg
    352.6 KB · Views: 45
  • 5178C59E-AFE8-495F-891C-07406AFE64AD.jpeg
    5178C59E-AFE8-495F-891C-07406AFE64AD.jpeg
    354.9 KB · Views: 26
  • 660DCA35-2DC3-4D77-89DC-7EBBF6E213BC.jpeg
    660DCA35-2DC3-4D77-89DC-7EBBF6E213BC.jpeg
    415.2 KB · Views: 29
  • 213B9465-EAD2-4D91-A703-CAB793FFCF45.jpeg
    213B9465-EAD2-4D91-A703-CAB793FFCF45.jpeg
    289.5 KB · Views: 45

bubsqueaks

Visit site
This is ours right in the channel in front of the sheath so going to definitely try the cream before committing to laser - thank you:)

• Love
Reactions: JBM

ITPersonnage

Visit site
Best time to laser them off is autumn after flies so no hurry to ask vets but they look very similar to my WB's sarcoids. Like others have said, do what you can before then to see if anything helps but then lasering is a good option but £££ and insurance will exclude all skin complaints after first treatment.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
As above, hope that the vet doesn't notice them when he has his jabs and work on boosting the immune system for now.

Lasering can't be done til fly season is over, so there is no point getting them on his vet records now as treatment will have to wait anyway.

I had good results with my sarcoid probe homebred after putting her on oily herbs to deal her hind gut issues after her Equibiome test results. An unexpected side effect is that her Prof K assessed sarcoids, which might otherwise have been the end of her, are much, much calmer.

Good luck.

SusanK-USA

New User
Visit site
Have you heard about the Sarcoid Cure on Facebook?
It works.
You probably have the ingredients to make the paste in your kitchen.
Look at all the pics on the page.

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
I went down the oily herb route, plus I am using radiance gold sarc supplement only for about 3-4 weeks so far - both sarcoids have remained calm but are slightly more raised. I am, perhaps naively, hoping they might be pushing themselves out, but of course they might just be getting bigger.

Reactions: JBM

JBM

Visit site
I went down the oily herb route, plus I am using radiance gold sarc supplement only for about 3-4 weeks so far - both sarcoids have remained calm but are slightly more raised. I am, perhaps naively, hoping they might be pushing themselves out, but of course they might just be getting bigger.
Mochas got bigger and uglier before it popped off so my vote is for option 1 🤞🏻

Boots*McGruber

Visit site
They look like sarcoids. I’m currently using The Sarcoid Centre for my horse’s smaller sarcoids, you can find her on Facebook. I can never get hold of Sarcoid Cure (also on FB) on messenger unfortunately.

vhf

Visit site
I am another who went down the oily herb route albeit accidentally - and shifted a benign 10yo confirmed sarcoid! She was only on them for simplicity as other horse had them. One evening noticed her 'age spot' as I called it was considerably taller than it had looked last time I checked. Made a mental note to check properly in daylight... and it had vanished. No sign of reappearance after 5 months, but as she's 21 and the last one took 10 years to reach the size of a walnut, I'm hopeful it won't be an issue. Oily herbs will now stay in my horse health arsenal.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Putting my horse back on pro balance made his shrink and dissappear both of mine are on oily herbs as well now and no more have appeared so hoping none come back.

PoniesRock

Visit site
My mare had very similar thing near her teats. I never found out exactly what they were… but I used marmite and they burnt off!

Squeak

Visit site
Was just doing a search on the forum for sarcoid supplements as my horse has slight aural plaques and what I've always assume to be a very slight wart on the inside of a nostril and both had recently got worse. He's been on the oily herbs for about 3 months now so I'm really hoping from what people have mentioned on here that this might actually be them getting worse before they get better🤞

BMA2

Visit site
Was just doing a search on the forum for sarcoid supplements as my horse has slight aural plaques and what I've always assume to be a very slight wart on the inside of a nostril and both had recently got worse. He's been on the oily herbs for about 3 months now so I'm really hoping from what people have mentioned on here that this might actually be them getting worse before they get better🤞
What are you feeding re oily herbs and how much out of interest

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
Just checking back in, and pleased to report that whilst the sarcoids upped to 6, *touch wood* they have all shrunk/dropped off/expelled.
I will wait and see what the summer coat brings but I keep an eye and other than the coat that hasn't grown back full compared to his winter woolies, there is no signs of sarcoid tissue

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Sarcoids can be linked to stressful situations and illness low immunity so once the horse gets through that period they normally go on there own.

But I think I think a good balancer and making sure the horse gets the support it needs in any times of stress will really help them occurring and returning.

Squeak

Visit site
Sarcoids can be linked to stressful situations and illness low immunity so once the horse gets through that period they normally go on there own.

But I think I think a good balancer and making sure the horse gets the support it needs in any times of stress will really help them occurring and returning.

I'd really hoped they would disappear, especially as they're so minimal, but unfortunately I've had him for years now and even though he's transformed in himself and happy, they're still there :(

Squeak

Visit site

I feed thyme, oregano and rosemary. I did measure out how much it was after guidelines on here but for the life of me I can't remember what it is as I just have a scoop that's the right size to give a scoop in each feed. If you do a search on here it should come up or someone else may be able to be more helpful and know what it is.

ycbm

Visit site

I used to feed a fistful of D&H hedgerow herbs. There are 6 in it, 3 are the oily ones. It's great for horses on monoculture grazing and forage to add variety.

ycbm

Visit site
I'd really hoped they would disappear, especially as they're so minimal, but unfortunately I've had him for years now and even though he's transformed in himself and happy, they're still there :(

The aural plaques may come and go a bit but they are very often there for life. I once had a vet on the forum tell me they were incurable and argue with me when I said I had seen them disappear.

ycbm

Visit site
Beware of trying to treat aural plaques. For a start only the most aggressive treatment to burn them off with chemicals was known to work last time I checked, and even then not always. For a second, they can be very painful and it's easy to make the horse head shy. Better just to live with them.

ycbm

Visit site
If he were mine I’d waiting and see, until later on in the year. I wouldn’t mention it to the vet yet, or you’ll get an exclusion anyway. It’s quite likely they’ll resolve on their own based on my limited experience. I’d be more concerned if it was just one.

Meleeka why would you worry more if it was one? All the thinking on sarcoids I've seen and been told is that multiples are the problem, not singles.