Saturday at Aintree

ozpoz

Visit site
sea the stars won 6 gr 1 races in 6 months, he has very little N D, he does have native dance through mr prospector, but is a sort of outcross.

i saw arkle in the flesh when i was oh so young, and desert orchid at a show when he retired, if i remember correctly he had quite strong bone and was not top heavy, arkle was of course the real ``look at me`` horse i always thought.

but sea the stars has a good proportion of bone to top and is valued highly at his stud fee, the stud groom reckons he gets his speed from green desert, through danzig, that is the northern dancer bit.

i only ever used northern dancer blood once, and quickly rectified it with an injection of top class arab, the one progeny had a less than perfect below the knee confo, never again.

also have, nasrullah through grey sovereign, sovereign path, and by golly you know nasrullah when you meet him even several gens on, but if you can get past the tricky personality, very tough, sound horses.

the prob with ND`s as well as the speed, they are very often such good looking individuals

the book vincent o`briens great horses, shows his grand national winners of that time, royal tan is a typical example of grand national horses from that time , its quite an interesting read as well
Interesting, Nasrullah appears 3 times in my horse’s breeding and he was tricky until I learned how he ticked.

Smitty

Visit site
A friend of mine in the early 80s had a big grey gelding by Sovereign Path. He spent a lot of time on his back legs. That could have been due to anything though ...

tristar

Visit site
Interesting, Nasrullah appears 3 times in my horse’s breeding and he was tricky until I learned how he ticked.

when i read a first hand account of how he was when he raced, i got goose bumps, it did however solve a mystery, and helped me to understand the horse i was riding, who was a stallion, mental and physical distraction as soon as i was onboard worked, so he understood he was there to work.

reynold

Visit site

Changes to next year's Grand National

All of them look good, especially reducing field to 34 and raising handicap rating to minimum 130

Nicnac

Visit site
I heard this on the news driving to work earlier. What makes the removal of 6 starters the magic number to ensure safety of horses and riders? The handicap rating I get. It's like MERS in eventing.

Using the information available to us and considering the experiences of participants, our conclusion is that 34 should be the maximum number of runners in the race which we hope will result in the least number of incidents

Not terribly scientific is it?

Visit site

Changes to next year's Grand National

All of them look good, especially reducing field to 34 and raising handicap rating to minimum 130

It will have been more than a decade since a horse with a mark of under 140 ran in the national. So that's just a peace keeping statement.

By reducing the number to 34 means is that you will have 33 Irish horses and Corach as he will be the only one high enough in the Handicap to guarantee himself a run.

Parrotperson

Visit site
It will have been more than a decade since a horse with a mark of under 140 ran in the national. So that's just a peace keeping statement.

By reducing the number to 34 means is that you will have 33 Irish horses and Corach as he will be the only one high enough in the Handicap to guarantee himself a run.

Oh ffs. Corach will still win mind you!!

It’s all a tiny bit lip service.

But let’s hope some higher British trained horses are entered.

Gamebird

Visit site
It's a little complicated because arguably the casualty rates are higher in the 30-runner races over the National fences, such as the Foxhunters. However they aren't directly comparable as they are a shorter trip, lower rated horses and amateur jockeys.

I'm not entirely sure what sort of science you can apply, other than statistical analysis, which has definitely been done. You certainly can't run trials or experiments!

Nicnac

Visit site
It's a little complicated because arguably the casualty rates are higher in the 30-runner races over the National fences, such as the Foxhunters. However they aren't directly comparable as they are a shorter trip, lower rated horses and amateur jockeys.

I'm not entirely sure what sort of science you can apply, other than statistical analysis, which has definitely been done. You certainly can't run trials or experiments!
Well it doesn't state what information is available to them nor how the experience of participants applies to the number of runner - can't really ask the horse's opinions! If they shared the statistical analysis it would be a start.

Clodagh

Visit site
I think it’s time the Grand National was scrapped. It doesn’t really serve any purpose now except to be controversial and all the fuss about it is just harming the rest of jump racing.
I agree, it’s a pointless staying handicap these days.

Ditchjumper2

Visit site
I think it’s time the Grand National was scrapped. It doesn’t really serve any purpose now except to be controversial and all the fuss about it is just harming the rest of jump racing.
All the antis would then do is focus on another high profile race and so on. If you scapped it would would be bowing to pressure and admitting there is an issue. Which there isn't. Plenty of changes have been made over the years and the race is less unique than it was. You will never remove the risk all you can do is minimise it.

Last edited:

bonny

Visit site
All the antis would then do is focus on another high profile race and so on. If you scapped it would would be bowing to pressure and admitting there is an issue. Which there isn't. Nothing is risk free!
There isn’t another race with a profile like the Grand National

Old school

Visit site
Start at the other end…

All non licensed horse owners ( the non pro like me) must attain a minimum qualification to ensure they are able to mind their equines prior to being allowed purchase a horse.

Stiff financial penalties for horse owners that buy unseen and then throw in the towel.

Funds to go toward better education about what types of horses to breed.

This type of action for the non pro section of horse owners would be all round better for animal welfare.

At least the trainers and jockeys are licensed and monitored.

Bob notacob

Visit site
The problem as I see it is that the National has to be seen to be working with the views of Jo and Joanne public in making it safe for the horses. Sadly neither of this couple have a clue what is involved. Making fences softer and smaller has simply increased the speed and everyone is looking for the racing line over the fences. Back in the old days one rode to avoid everyone else . you survived by staying on your horse and finishing. Now it is the horses taking the brunt of it .Not an unseated jockey over an awkward leap over a big solid fence but a horse crashing at speed over a fence that is little more than a hurdle. Stick the fences back up , and stiffen them back up and keep those that don't train for this race out . I remember when John Sutcliffe senior won the national with Specify, and we all celebrated in Epsom. But he worked for it. He even had copies of the most serious fences built at his Woodruff yard.

Visit site
The problem as I see it is that the National has to be seen to be working with the views of Jo and Joanne public in making it safe for the horses. Sadly neither of this couple have a clue what is involved. Making fences softer and smaller has simply increased the speed and everyone is looking for the racing line over the fences. Back in the old days one rode to avoid everyone else . you survived by staying on your horse and finishing. Now it is the horses taking the brunt of it .Not an unseated jockey over an awkward leap over a big solid fence but a horse crashing at speed over a fence that is little more than a hurdle. Stick the fences back up , and stiffen them back up and keep those that don't train for this race out . I remember when John Sutcliffe senior won the national with Specify, and we all celebrated in Epsom. But he worked for it. He even had copies of the most serious fences built at his Woodruff yard.

It always used to be you hunted the first circuit to survive and if you and your horse stayed intact you knew it could jump and you could race the second circuit.

The race is a shadow of their former selves a lot of it for the good, some of it not so and is just appeasing the public perception.