Schoolmaster , nervous ot lunatic?

sjdress

Visit site
Give him time. I had a horse that came from a busy show jumping yard to A quiet private yard and in all honesty it took him a good 6 months to settle into a new routine etc.

Alli54

Visit site
Give him time. I had a horse that came from a busy show jumping yard to A quiet private yard and in all honesty it took him a good 6 months to settle into a new routine etc.
Agreed, after 4 days now of going back to the basics lunging and many hours in the paddock he is everyday a little braver. Saturday the old owner is coming to our stall to ride him. Going forward...what's really strange is that our young sensible horse is becoming so good since our new horse came. Like he thinks okay time to step it up I've got competition hahaha. What do you think if I put a shetlander with new horse him in the paddocks with him..? Disaster waiting to happen or good idea...keeping in mind he has always been on his own...

MissTyc

Visit site
Lots of horses love a little shetland beachball to play with. definitely worth a try!

I'm glad things are improving. I reckon every time you took him for a lesson, he thought he was going home ... and then was "stolen" again and had to worry for a week for this next attempt to get home. Best he forgets about his old life for a bit, but I think it's great the old owner/trainer is coming to help. She will know him best.

Alli54

Visit site
Update: previous owner came today to help us. Our horse behaved exactly the same at beginning.(badly) They lunged him and finally was able to mount. . He was nervous and behaving badly but in the end my daughter had him and was riding...And at the same time a jumping lessons was happening to the left and a woman was riding her horse with cart in the middle and they were riding in the dresseur ring...And he was fine. Old owner says he just needs more time and when he is working keep his focus on the work No time to think. ...We switched his pellets from sport to normal to bring energy down for now . She believes it's going to be okay. I hope she is right just feel a bit disappointed. I thought she should have rode him made him feel more confident but what do I know....We keep going ..btw didn't put the shetlander with him...the shetlander we were going to use is more dangerous than horse hahaha

Kahlua

Visit site
Update: previous owner came today to help us. Our horse behaved exactly the same at beginning.(badly) They lunged him and finally was able to mount. . He was nervous and behaving badly but in the end my daughter had him and was riding...And at the same time a jumping lessons was happening to the left and a woman was riding her horse with cart in the middle and they were riding in the dresseur ring...And he was fine. Old owner says he just needs more time and when he is working keep his focus on the work No time to think. ...We switched his pellets from sport to normal to bring energy down for now . She believes it's going to be okay. I hope she is right just feel a bit disappointed. I thought she should have rode him made him feel more confident but what do I know....We keep going ..btw didn't put the shetlander with him...the shetlander we were going to use is more dangerous than horse hahaha
Thank you for keeping us updated. To be honest one ride from the old owner won’t make him more confident, it would need to be consistent rides in the same environment. The next issue is if he gets his confidence back with her, does he still have the confidence with your daughter, probably unlikely. The old owner is probably thinking, it is better to keep your daughter on him, help her show him to be confident in her. There’s also the possibility that if she rode him again he would just be confused. So I can understand why she decided to do that. I hope it gets better for you all :)

smiggy

Visit site
To be fair, that’s a lot going on. My pony, who is very used to going out competing , would probably lose the plot if there was a jumping lesson one side and a driving lesson the other !
glad things are improving , it’s such a stressful time with a new one.

Lyle

Visit site
Time, consitent routine, work that he finds easy. Build the relationship with the horse. He's gone through what can be called 'the Honeymoon period' for the first week, where he performed as if he was at a show, based on the hard work of the previous owner/rider. Then he's realised that he's not going home, old owner hasn't turned up, his routine is completely different. It's obviously upset him. Give him time. He's obviously a superbly trained horse with plenty of experience.

Muddywellies

Visit site
He's gone from a quiet private yard, the same home he's had for all or most of his life, to a busy commercial yard of 80 horses? He's incredibly stressed bless him. Sounds like this atmosphere has blown his mind and he needs a quieter more relaxed atmosphere and a bit more freedom.

Edit. Sorry didn't see your update. Sounds positive ?

Alli54

Visit site
Update Update Update...
Well people it took about 6 weeks in total. We made some mistakes at the beginning, but thanks to this group and good advice. Stopped taking him back to old owners for lessons, changed his food from sport to normal pellets and lundged for a week to build trust, back to basics riding and now .We now have a perfectly behaved happy and mega talented horse. A SCHOOLMASTER!!!!....What a huge learning experience. Thanks everyone !!!

muddybay

Visit site
A lady at my yard told me it can take a year for a horse to properly settle at a yard! Good luck he sounds amazing and I'm glad he's getting better