Scrambling in trailer- where to start?

Flyermc

Visit site
I havent read all the replies, but my pony went from from a good loader/traveler, to becoming 'sticky' to load and sometime scrambling to travel (not all the time or every time) to one day completely refusing to load, this was down to arthritis.

Looking back on it, it makes sense as arthritis is not only a deteriorating condition, can also affect people/animals differently from one day to the next (not everyday is the same) it made sense that he wouldnt have been 'sticky' every time that we loaded/traveled him.

Id get the trailer checked, but would also 100% get your horse checked over again.

Kat

Visit site
Definitely check your tyre pressures, on the trailer and the tow vehicle. Don't rely upon the sensors on your vehicle. Check what your manual says about appropriate tyre pressures for towing, they are often different to those for regular driving. I check and adjust tyre pressures on both trailer and truck every time I take out my trailer.

Also check the height of the tow ball is correct for the trailer.

Equine_Dream

Visit site
My mare was exactly the same. Would try to scramble up the sides and go into panic would whichever side you travelled her on.
Take the partitions out, get the full length breach bars and cross tie. She now travels like a dream.

Edit to add. I don't think this necessarily masks a problem. Some horses struggle to balance and feel claustrophobic with partitions in. This certainly seemed to be the case for my mare. Once she could stretch herself out and find her balance she was happy as anything. Obviously I can only speak from experience, each case is different.

Michen

Visit site
Rubbish for not remembering to update when people have spent time replying on a thread ?‍♀️

So I had Bog thoroughly looked at again and there was a change- although he would “exercise sound” with some walking or straight from field, he was coming out of the box lame in a straight line (visible to vet only not me), very minor and intermittent. Whereas before even coming out of the box having been in all day he’d be sound. Have also had trailer serviced early and all fine.

So I had his hock jabbed and hopefully they will be as successful as they were last summer and I’m glad to have caught the change and had a warning sign.

I am also glad to have not just jabbed without an actual clinical reason for it! Amazing how stoic horses are that even in a couple of weeks between vet visits despite absolutely nothing telling me there was an issue under saddle, that there was one. Makes me feel less mental for how often he gets vet checked now ?

Michen

Visit site
Oh no :( just tested Bog in trailer for first time before we go eventing tomorrow. He had his hock jabbed (and was indeed found to not be right when I got him vet checked). He had a full follow up work up on Wednesday, every single test performed and he was 100% sound in every way including post flexion, hard circles etc. But he’s still scrambling on left turns.

I’ve just swapped him over to the left side - no scrambling. Is it really ok to travel them on the wrong side? Also I’m still concerned because something must have caused him to start this scrambling but how on earth am I supposed to work that out, there’s literally no lameness or soreness to be found now. Had also had both physio and Osteo.

trailer serviced and in good nick.

Clodagh

Visit site
He’ll be fine on the wrong side.
Maybe he is anticipating difficulties and panicking a bit?
Can you not take the partition out and let him stand where he wants? (Only if you have full length bars though)

Michen

Visit site
He’ll be fine on the wrong side.
Maybe he is anticipating difficulties and panicking a bit?
Can you not take the partition out and let him stand where he wants? (Only if you have full length bars though)
I could yes and I have bought full bars ready to go but as bear is hanging around it would be a really pain to take partition out and put back in etc every time I was travelling two. Which granted wouldn’t be for a few months but Long term I guess I need to decide if it’s fine for him to travel on the left alone.

Or I buy a lorry again, also fine if a bit annoying!

I may still try him in a 511

GinaGeo

Visit site
He will honestly be find on the left hand side. A friend of mine travelled her horse all over the country on the left because he couldn’t stand up in the right ?

Michen

Visit site
He will honestly be find on the left hand side. A friend of mine travelled her horse all over the country on the left because he couldn’t stand up in the right ?

Thanks :) the difference was certainly obvious. Ah well, I guess the boys wants what he wants. I’m sure I’ll be buying him a bloody Oakley lorry soon ?