Scrambling in trailer

SweetDreams

Visit site
Hi all just wanting some advice or thoughts! My mare used to travel amazing in the Ifor Williams trailer with no issues or concerns. Suddenly began to scramble as soon as the trailer was moving, completely leaning on one side, sweating, distressed. So so scary but now we unable to attend fun rides and competitions because of this behaviour. I’ve tried her in a backward facing equitrek, in forward facing Bateson and also forward facing Ifor with no avail sadly. Anyone had anything similar experiences? She has regular checks with vet/dentist/saddle fitter/farrier/physio and no issues detected - please help ?

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Have you tried taking out the partition? That's the commonest way to sort that problem out.

I have also boxed one in completely with bumper pads on the partition. He had travelled fine for a couple of years, then started to do it for no obvious reason.

SweetDreams

Visit site
Hi no I haven’t as of yet, I just thought that with giving her more room she would just fall over or it would give her more room to scramble around in! I’m now also very nervous about doing it because of how horrific it sounds when she is thrashing around!

ycbm

Visit site
I know it sounds counter intuitive but it usually works, so I would try a short journey and see.

They try to wall walk if you watch them on camera. Body jammed on one wall and feet walking up the other. If you make it too wide for there to be any possibility of that happening, they usually stand up.

I couldn't do it with my lorry, so I boxed mine in instead, so he couldn't lean at all, he was padded right up to his ribs both sides. You would need to be sure the horse wasnt claustrophobic, but it's another option.

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
Hi no I haven’t as of yet, I just thought that with giving her more room she would just fall over or it would give her more room to scramble around in! I’m now also very nervous about doing it because of how horrific it sounds when she is thrashing around!
Nope, take the partition out ASAP, or just remove the back half. I pretty much guarantee that will sort it. For whatever reason, it seems they get a mental block about widening their hinds to balance - two of mine travel great behind the driver and scramble in the N/S. I need to travel two but as soon as I don't, the partition is coming out.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
My mare was exactly the same. Travelled wonderfully for a few years then started crashing about. Same box, well maintained, same driver. She had to have her stable companion in with her. We never tried without the partition because we had two horses. She travelled perfectly in my friend’s wagon.

Bonnie Allie

Visit site
Remove partition first and that will solve it.

However there are a couple of other things you can do:
- get anti-scramble bars fitted. They are an Aussie thing, and work brilliantly if you need to use your 2 horse trailer with two horses. Cost effective and you can create and fit them yourself if you are a bit handy.
- change your trailer to an angle load (herringbone). It will mean buying a new one.

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Yes had this experience. Horrible isn't it. Once they start they don't stop either. It's psychological. We used to think it was the lack of windows and tried a larger one with windows in all three panels at the front and I thought we'd cracked it but nope...

Agree - take out partition or switch to the other side.

J&S

Visit site
Just want to add: give her a few drops of Rescue Remedy in a hollowed out carrot prior to loading. Then another the same once she is on. We had this problem with the little coloured mare for a while, especially when going down hill. Used the remedy for the summer then after an autumn break in travelling she was right as rain and travelled extensively for Trec competitions for years after.

Haywain

Visit site
I'd also agree with taking out the partition. My old boy started to do just as yours does, after years of easy travelling. I took out the partition and invested in a full width breast bar. No further problems.

Littlebear

Visit site
I used to have to travel my old mare on the opposite side of the trailer (behind the passenger side, not the driver side), otherwise she did the same thing. Might also be worth a try?

I did the same thing and it worked for a while so would also suggest this first, i did end up getting a lorry which was better for a while but the horse did have some leg issues which worstened so even for vet visits in the lorry became an issue also sadly :(

Visit site
How you tried herringbone in a lorry? My Appy is like this if travelling backwards (never tried forwards) but travels great herringbone. I think this may be due to his hock arthritis and him not liking having to bare a lot of weight on the back end.

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
Mares are much more prone to this issue than geldings due to pelvis configuration. I have long discussions about it! Remove back partition so they can travel herringbone and you will be amazed. I now have a herringbone trailer and no problems as needed to travel 2

scats

Visit site
I would also try removing the partition. I had a Dales pony who just seemed to get himself in a state about loading and travelling. I had CCTV in the trailer and I could watch him and he just seemed to be in a constant state of anxiety and was fidgety. We removed the partition (to the horror of many - “he’ll fall over!” “he needs to lean on it”) and both our loading and travelling problems went in an instant. He would happily position himself diagonally and munch his haynet. I never put the partition back in.
Even now, in my 3.5 tonne van, I remove the partition and travel just one horse in the whole area.

lillibet7

Visit site
Completely agree with removing partition or swapping sides. My horse likes to have his right hind spread so will only travel on left hand side of trailer & next to the ramp in a lorry. It is very frightening when they scrabble but giving more room usually works. Try it!

McFluff

Visit site
Agree that partition should help. My friends horse can only travel in a trailer if there is no partition, which is a bummer if you want to share a trailer.

Fred66

Visit site
Don’t know how Bateson is configured but on the Ifor you can swing the rear part of the partition to the other side to and hook it to where the 2nd stall breech bar goes to stop it closing up.
We do this to give more space behind but without removing partition, it avoids the need to buy two full length breech bars (front and back) as well as not needing to cross tie and close both rear top doors at rear.
This seems to work.

SweetDreams

Visit site
Thankyou so much everyone for your advice and response we have made some small amount of progress. Sunday we put her in the trailer without the partition initially nervous and agitated but then took her out let her relax for a few minutes and then straight back in, interestingly on the second time she placed herself diagonally across the trailer but seemed to prefer the left hand side which we never travelled her on as historiacally she was either on her own or the bigger horse. So plan going forward is to continue building her confidence and get her moving again soon hopefully! Not in any major rush so want her to be confident and comfortable! (Also allows me time to stop panicking as soon as she’s in there anticipating a huge drama) ??‍♀️

SweetDreams

Visit site
So we have had further progress and managed to move the trailer with my mare in today without any horrible scary scrambling but she is still very much leaning her left hand rump on the trailer - any further tips/ideas/thoughts/advice? Or should this just generally improve over time? thanks in advance - Again!

Batgirl

Visit site
So we have had further progress and managed to move the trailer with my mare in today without any horrible scary scrambling but she is still very much leaning her left hand rump on the trailer - any further tips/ideas/thoughts/advice? Or should this just generally improve over time? thanks in advance - Again!

Have you checked the tyre pressures etc?

ycbm

Visit site

I don't worry about leaning as long as they are staying steady.