Second horse - WWYD?

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
So with my current horse about to be turned away for a year or so in the hope it'll help her tendon heal, I am now left with the dilemma of what to fill her stable with.

Realistically no matter how well she recovers, she's never going to reach the level I had hoped she would. At the moment this isn't really an issue as I'm not at that level either, but long term we may reach a point where I want to go further than she's physically capable of. Therefore I'm not totally against the idea of buying another, however right now I have a limited budget (£2.5k) so if I go down the route of buying another it's either buying a project now, or hoping I can save some money once Pops is no longer on full livery and using that to top up my horse fund and then buying another dressage prospect. The other option would be to look for something that may be dropping down the levels so I can fully focus on bringing my riding on and OH could potter about on when Pops comes back into work but I know from my original horse search that these rarely come without some form of issue either behavioural or veterinary.

More preferable would be to look to take something on full loan, although I suspect what I'd want in an ideal world would realistically be like looking for rocking horse poop! Again I'm torn between taking on something younger/greener so that I can gain more experience of bringing on youngsters with a view to then using that experience once Pops is back in work. I suspect this would be easier to find, but then I'm going to put all that blood, sweat and tears into someone else's horse only to hand it back in a year to 18 months assuming they don't take it back beforehand. The other option is to see if I can find a schoolmaster type that can teach me the ropes at higher level dressage and to continue really working on myself as a rider and learning all I can but I suspect this sort will be nigh on impossible to find as they most likely go by word of mouth.

So in my shoes what would you do and have I missed anything? Sharing isn't really an option as I would like to keep both horses at the same yard so I can still see Pops most days, plus I'm really missing having something to work with every day.

It's still early days so I'm not in any rush to find anything, but figured it might make me feel better to start putting some feelers out and see what my options might be.

eggs

Visit site
Another option could be to not get another horse but to go and get some regular lessons on a good schoolmaster.

It's a shame you don't live nearer me though as having read many of your other posts I would have happily said to come up and ride one of my horses - most are working at advanced medium and are pretty straightforward.

rowan666

Visit site
After all you've been through I think i would be leaning towards looking for a LWVTB to make sure it's right before taking that leap

chaps89

Visit site
It might seem obvious but have you asked your instructor if she knows of anything?
I've been sharing a schoolmaster since the beginning of the year and the difference it's made to my riding has been unbelievable. So on this basis, given as you're hoping Poppy will be back at some point and so this is really a short term option in the grand scheme of things, I might be inclined to take on an older schoolmaster looking for a quieter life. Yes there may be medical issues but at least it's not likely to be an unknown quantity, the owners of such horses are likely to be realistic and seem to be happy to have them back for retirement generally. (There was one of these advertised on either horse quest or nfed recently I believe) I'd also maybe try the BD forum/ads to find what you're after.

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
Another option could be to not get another horse but to go and get some regular lessons on a good schoolmaster.

It's a shame you don't live nearer me though as having read many of your other posts I would have happily said to come up and ride one of my horses - most are working at advanced medium and are pretty straightforward.

Aww thanks. I already have weekly lessons on my YO's dressage schoolmistress which have worked wonders for my riding, but I feel I'm not progressing as fast as I would have done as I have nothing to do homework on so to speak.

Ben2684

Visit site
This was literally me four months ago. My 12 yr Old ISH was diagnosed with severe arthritis in both hocks, on top of his spavins. was on loads of Bute and even when not lame was still unlevel. He's having until spring to just kick back and relax but the best I can hope for is a pootle up to the woods and back a couple of times a week. Had a huge dilemma and decided to go for it (what the heck) and four weeks ago bought home my new lad, I am so so pleased I did. Having two does have cost and time implications though, in some ways I didn't even think about. I would much rather have one in full work and one in semi work than two in full work, I don't k ow how people cope with that!!! Just by pure luck both are similar in type, have the same feed and Amazingly are the same rug size which makes things easier (despite being a hand different in height)

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
After all you've been through I think i would be leaning towards looking for a LWVTB to make sure it's right before taking that leap

This is a very sensible option, however LWVTB's don't come up very often so not sure if looking for one is just going to make my search harder.

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
It might seem obvious but have you asked your instructor if she knows of anything?
I've been sharing a schoolmaster since the beginning of the year and the difference it's made to my riding has been unbelievable. So on this basis, given as you're hoping Poppy will be back at some point and so this is really a short term option in the grand scheme of things, I might be inclined to take on an older schoolmaster looking for a quieter life. Yes there may be medical issues but at least it's not likely to be an unknown quantity, the owners of such horses are likely to be realistic and seem to be happy to have them back for retirement generally. (There was one of these advertised on either horse quest or nfed recently I believe) I'd also maybe try the BD forum/ads to find what you're after.

Thanks Chaps89 that's kinda what I'm erring towards if I'm honest. YO has said she'll put feelers out for me but she's so incredibly busy and has done so much for us already I don't really want to bother her too much if I can help it.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
all of them are good options, so perhaps keep your mind open and see what comes along.

A loan would give you something to do but without any ties. I enjoy riding other people's horses because I don't get frustrated or impatient as I am *tempted* do do on my own... it helps me stay grounded and objective and that's a good skill to have! You still have Pops to be 'your' horse, so could you perhaps do this while keeping the loan slightly at arms length? It can feel like you are working for free, unless you view it as another learning opportunity. And LWVTB sometimes come up when the owner sees how well a loan is working out... ;) don't know unles you ask.

A schoolmaster even with some manageable issues would be great for experience, homework and getting established at higher level work.

A project will equally teach you buckets, as they all do! £2.5k should get you something pretty decent, my budget is a lot lower than that but if you're prepared to put the hours in, you can usually turn out something pretty good.

So unless you have a secret leaning one way or the other, personally I'd try to be very open minded and see what comes your way.

Sukistokes2

Visit site
What about a share of a competition horse. I have seen some advertised on KEG. I am sure there are people out there that would need help with keeping their horse in trim and would share the competitions as well. Or take on a project. I am currently doing low level dressage on a Clydesdale, one that nine months ago did not even steer. I am learning a lot and my riding is improving all the time.

Asha

Visit site
You have been dreadfully unlucky , and to be fair something could go wrong with another, whether you loan buy or share . That is just horses.

In your shoes , I'd go out and buy another and consider it a project and see where it takes you.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
I would buy a cheap project. Something you can turnout to be a decent riding horse and sell in the Spring. You will learn loads bringing it on which in turn will help you ride Poppy and also be less of a commitment if she does come back well.

Is she not a candidate for Rockley?

Bessi

Visit site
I was in your shoes just over a year ago, I turned my lad out and bought a project pony we had issue after issue from the second he came back, the yard got strangles and went on lock down for almost three months, he didn't get enough turn out because of the strangles restrictions and so bucked me off regularly when we started doing more, we then had a few months of fun but by then his behaviour had affected my riding (although I'm only discovering that now) and in may I fell of him for no real reason and badly broke my ankle, by this point my other lad was coming back into work and I had already been struggling to find time to do the read for my main lad and keep the other one competition fit so was planning on selling him at the end of the summer, instead i spent the summer in a cast and had to sell him cheap as he wasn't the easiest but massively talented, so not something i could ride when newly fixed, I couldn't afford to keep two on full livery as was then unable to do them myself, and i couldn't ride him for anyone to show off what he could actually do...

Would I buy another if i was in the same situation again, not a chance Id save the money from the livery and enjoy having a winter off just cuddling my lad when i wanted a horsey fix..

helenchat

Visit site
I think a loan of a school master would be a great idea! They are harder to find, but if you are willing to take on something a bit older then that may open more options. I'd try the loan sections on Horsequest/ Horse and Hound/ Preloved, as well as Facebook pages (try typing 'horses for loan' into Facebook search and that should link some relevant pages), and the #twittereventingadverts page always seems to have quite a few going.
We have a fabulous horse on loan at the moment - he is a 22 year old ex-intermediate level eventer who has spent the last few years competing at 90, and has taken his jockey to pony club and riding club championships and just generally been a star in every sense of the word. Loaning him has been an invaluable experience and we are unbelievably lucky to have him!!
I found him via a Facebook ad - although I will say we had to act quickly, there was loads of interest and we called straight up and arranged to see him the next day, which involved a long dodgy drive whilst a bit hungover on New Years Day!
I would do it again in a heartbeat though ! Best of luck with your search :)

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
all of them are good options, so perhaps keep your mind open and see what comes along.

A loan would give you something to do but without any ties. I enjoy riding other people's horses because I don't get frustrated or impatient as I am *tempted* do do on my own... it helps me stay grounded and objective and that's a good skill to have! You still have Pops to be 'your' horse, so could you perhaps do this while keeping the loan slightly at arms length? It can feel like you are working for free, unless you view it as another learning opportunity. And LWVTB sometimes come up when the owner sees how well a loan is working out... ;) don't know unles you ask.

A schoolmaster even with some manageable issues would be great for experience, homework and getting established at higher level work.

A project will equally teach you buckets, as they all do! £2.5k should get you something pretty decent, my budget is a lot lower than that but if you're prepared to put the hours in, you can usually turn out something pretty good.

So unless you have a secret leaning one way or the other, personally I'd try to be very open minded and see what comes your way.

Yeah I think you're right. I'm trying to remain fairly open-minded about things for now. I'm kinda leaning more towards a schoolmaster on loan, but am also keen to get back in the saddle properly as soon as possible so I guess I just need to keep my eyes open and see what comes my way.

I would buy a cheap project. Something you can turnout to be a decent riding horse and sell in the Spring. You will learn loads bringing it on which in turn will help you ride Poppy and also be less of a commitment if she does come back well.

Is she not a candidate for Rockley?

I had considered this, but I'm so fearful of either something going wrong with it and having 2 broken horses, or falling madly in love and not selling on when I'm meant to and eventually ending up with a herd of horses. Sadly it doesn't seem like Rockley is an option due to the DDFT tear being in her fetlock rather than around the navicular bone.

I was in your shoes just over a year ago, I turned my lad out and bought a project pony we had issue after issue from the second he came back, the yard got strangles and went on lock down for almost three months, he didn't get enough turn out because of the strangles restrictions and so bucked me off regularly when we started doing more, we then had a few months of fun but by then his behaviour had affected my riding (although I'm only discovering that now) and in may I fell of him for no real reason and badly broke my ankle, by this point my other lad was coming back into work and I had already been struggling to find time to do the read for my main lad and keep the other one competition fit so was planning on selling him at the end of the summer, instead i spent the summer in a cast and had to sell him cheap as he wasn't the easiest but massively talented, so not something i could ride when newly fixed, I couldn't afford to keep two on full livery as was then unable to do them myself, and i couldn't ride him for anyone to show off what he could actually do...

Would I buy another if i was in the same situation again, not a chance Id save the money from the livery and enjoy having a winter off just cuddling my lad when i wanted a horsey fix..

Bessi, I'm so sorry to hear of your situation. I hope you've made a full recovery and are enjoying your main lad again now.

I think a loan of a school master would be a great idea! They are harder to find, but if you are willing to take on something a bit older then that may open more options. I'd try the loan sections on Horsequest/ Horse and Hound/ Preloved, as well as Facebook pages (try typing 'horses for loan' into Facebook search and that should link some relevant pages), and the #twittereventingadverts page always seems to have quite a few going.
We have a fabulous horse on loan at the moment - he is a 22 year old ex-intermediate level eventer who has spent the last few years competing at 90, and has taken his jockey to pony club and riding club championships and just generally been a star in every sense of the word. Loaning him has been an invaluable experience and we are unbelievably lucky to have him!!
I found him via a Facebook ad - although I will say we had to act quickly, there was loads of interest and we called straight up and arranged to see him the next day, which involved a long dodgy drive whilst a bit hungover on New Years Day!
I would do it again in a heartbeat though ! Best of luck with your search :)

Thanks Helenchat, that's kinda what I'm leaning towards at the moment so I'll just have to keep an eye on the loan pages and hope something comes up.