Section D’s

aajk

Visit site
Experiences of the breed? I’ve had A’s and B’s previously for the children but never a D. I’ve known a few over the years and all were relatively sane but their reputation is still nagging in the back of my mind! I’m horse hunting and whilst I’d love another Highland, unfortunately the budget doesn’t quite stretch that far.

Any experiences? I obviously can’t view any at the moment so looking to do as much research online as possible.

I’m wanting an all rounder, not much of a jumper these days, maybe some BD and local level showing.

Visit site
I haven't had a secontion D but from what i've seen and heard they can be quite a pain.
It does depend on the horse though, but as a generalization they can be quite bubbly (from what i've heard).
Although I have ridden a section d before it was only once when i was 7 and he was perfectly fine from what i remember but that was just one ride, I could've been just lucky or other people are just unlucky??‍♀️
I'm not against section d's because I have seen really good ones but they have "bad days" more frequent then , let's say , a cob.

Rockman

Visit site
I have one, got him almost untouched as a 3 year old. He's been the easiest horse I've ever worked with and is definitely my horse of a life time. He's sane and sensible in every single way and just an all round pleasure to be with. His only downfall is separation anxiety however I've never really tried to fix it and always just managed him in a way which means it rarely effects us.

teddypops

Visit site
My sec D is the loveliest pony I have ever had. She is kind, sweet, very willing and always tries her best. We do a bit of everything and although she can be a bit spooky at times, we always get placed when we compete. She regularly gets 70%+ at novice dressage. We get compliments wherever we go about how well behaved she is. Even when she was 4 and I started competing, I could 100% rely on her to behave no matter what every other horse was doing around us. They don’t have a very good reputation but a lot of the time I think they get away with stuff ‘because they are a sec D’.

Callieann

Visit site
I've only ever had section ds. I absolutely love every thing about them. Over the years I have had 5, three mares and two geldings. They are quite responsive, but I have always felt safe on all mine. I have two at the moment, both mares. Both are totally different temperaments, but forward going with the typical extravagant movement. I can ride them any where and they are totally chilled

NLPM

Visit site
I love them. As a youngster mine was an odd mix of bolshy and nervy (treated badly as a baby) but he's mellowed and is so affectionate. I've always found, generally, they will try their hearts out for you and are proper all rounders that can have a good go at any discipline. And easy to keep!

If I were ever in a pickle on a ride, my current Welsh cob would be the only one I'd trust to get us out of trouble.

ETA - his opinionated streak never left though and he's become a cheeky little so and so in his old age ? pampered retired life suits him!

aajk

Visit site
Oh I’m loving these comments! You’re all putting my mind at rest. I’ve seen a lovely 3yo advertised

Muddywellies

Visit site
I think it depends on the owner. If you're even slightly nervous or hesitant, they will get one over on you. If you're confident and can set boundaries, then they are fine. Saying that, they are sensitive so do need a gentle (but firm!) approach. Mine is wonderful, but can give me the collywobbles sometimes when she's on one. Currently training medium competing ele and if I were a jumper, she'd jump the moon.

Pointless1

Visit site
Sec D s are great. However you have to gel with them. If they like you you will have a wonderful horse. They will try their heart out for you.
I don't think they are for everyone though.
You need a real relationship with them. Can be spooky and opinionated.
Brave and big babies at the same time!
Very affectionate if they like you!

Becc

Visit site
I’ve had a Welsh D for nearly 4 years and he was my first horse of my own. To be honest, I knew nothing about the breed when I bought him. If I had known more about them, I maybe wouldn’t have looked at a Welsh D as so many people say they are quirky horses. Yes he has his off days where he spooks at everything out hacking. I know when his ears nearly meet in the middle he’s ready to leap sideways. But, he is a true gentleman and so loyal and kind. I can let my niece ride him who is a novice rider and he will look after her. I love their expressive movements and even though he doesn’t really work on the bit, he scores nicely in intro and prelim dressage tests because of his rhythm and movement. I’ve fallen in love with the breed and wouldn’t hesitate to get another.

Littlebear

Visit site
Sec D s are great. However you have to gel with them. If they like you you will have a wonderful horse. They will try their heart out for you.
I don't think they are for everyone though.
You need a real relationship with them. Can be spooky and opinionated.
Brave and big babies at the same time!
Very affectionate if they like you!

That pretty much sums up what i was going to say, i have seen many people overhorse themselves with them thinking they are less opinionated than they can be!

Rumtytum

Have Marmite, will travel
Visit site
I ride a 19 year old Sec D at my riding school. He has beautiful manners IF you set calm and consistent boundaries (after 3 years we know each other well) but does take the pee whenever and however he can with other riders. That said, he is rock solid calm, he alone restored my almost shattered nerves after a bad fall from a different horse. I also ride his 9 yo half sister, she’s a totally different kettle of ‘D’ - has a lot of ability for Dressage and enjoys it, can be nervy and takes her confidence from her rider. They are both wonderful in different ways.

PurBee

Visit site
My mare is half welsh d x arab and before ‘knowing me’ she had no respect for me. she didnt ‘assume’ all humans were the same as only 1 previous gentle owner. Despite me being gentler...softer, ive had to learn to be gentle yet firm if you get me.
Over time when she learnt she could trust me, she’s become an absolute diamond ...one helluva heart horse!

Lammy

Visit site
Mine was silly and spooky BUT safe as houses, not a bad bone in her body and she could always be coaxed past a monster in a hedge as long as you had a sense of humour! I loved her a lot and was a horse of a lifetime for me. They’re so versatile too, mine hunted (as a whips horse well pony) jumped like a stag and was brave on the xc and always came home in the platings our showing. My next one will be a Welsh cob 100%

scruffyponies

Visit site
Typical Wesh D is brave as hell, but a big nellie; gentle and kind, but inclined to be pushy; quiet and sensible, apart from the prancing and snorting; food-oriented, but will live on nothing; lazy, with astounding power and stamina.

In other words, they're a total contradiction. To understand why, you need to meet a few and realise how bright and sensitive they are. So many are ruined by well-meaning owners who are either indulgent (begets pushy) or nervous (cue prancing and snorting).

Personally I think they're fantastic. They're a gift to someone who likes a project, arriving as a paranoid ninny, lazy lump or bolshy brat, but so quick to learn.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Typical Wesh D is brave as hell, but a big nellie; gentle and kind, but inclined to be pushy; quiet and sensible, apart from the prancing and snorting; food-oriented, but will live on nothing; lazy, with astounding power and stamina.

In other words, they're a total contradiction. To understand why, you need to meet a few and realise how bright and sensitive they are. So many are ruined by well-meaning owners who are either indulgent (begets pushy) or nervous (cue prancing and snorting).

Personally I think they're fantastic. They're a gift to someone who likes a project, arriving as a paranoid ninny, lazy lump or bolshy brat, but so quick to learn.
agree with all of this! utter contradictions. I find them fascinating. The one i have now is probably the most trainable horse I've ever had but also the most complicated by far. I would have another in a heartbeat, but they aren't for everyone for all the reasons above.

ihatework

Visit site
I’ve only really worked with half-bred, current one is TB x WelshD and previous was Anglo x WelshD. In my mind they are the most wonderful, versatile cross breed.

milliepops

Visit site
I’ve only really worked with half-bred, current one is TB x WelshD and previous was Anglo x WelshD. In my mind they are the most wonderful, versatile cross breed.
Definitely agree with this, I've had a couple of brilliant partbreds and really enjoyed them.

scats

Visit site
I’ve had partbred Ds- TB x D and currently got an ISH x D. I’ve ridden plenty of full bred D’s in my life though. They are generally very bright, quick to learn, but can be silly and spooky. Occasionally you get an exception to the rule, but I do find a lot of them idiotic in their reactions. In the wrong hands they are a nightmare.

My part bred mare has got the D brain, reactions and spookiness, which can be a bit of a pain sometimes but she is very bright and picks things up so easily.

milliepops

Visit site
lol, I think idiotic is a bit unfair. They think they are perfectly reasonable :p

The thing that has helped me so much is having a trainer who understands that bit of their psyche, you can't *tell* mine, there has to be a degree of understanding that she thinks she's in the right and working with that. I remember someone saying that the Welshies have an inbuilt sense of justice, trouble is it doesn't always align with ours ;)

FlyingCircus

Visit site
I absolutely love welshies. Them having a sense of justice is so true!

They're generally not for the novice/nervous as they will walk all over you given half the chance. That said, if you know what they're doing you can make a cracking little pony out of them.

My mare regularly reminds me to find my sense of humour ? And likes to remind me she has a mind of her own!

The Jokers Girl

Visit site
All the ones I've come across have been opinionated but only because as a breed they are very intelligent and need a job to do to keep them busy. They are also a breed that imprint on one owner so once you have that bond they are amazing ?

Baroque

Visit site
I've been blessed with some lovely horses in my life and have been very fortunate. However, of them all, the one that makes me smile to myself every time I think of her is my current Welsh sec d. She has strong opinions and believes herself to always be right. She's sensible and brave. Until she isn't. And she makes me laugh every day. It doesn't hurt that she's a pretty little thing and I do love to watch her power trot across the field, knees up by her chin and tail flagging. Daft creature that she is. But for all her quirks she is as safe as houses and would do anything for me so long as I introduce it to her as her idea. Get a good one on side and you'll have a horse of a lifetime. Definitely a Marmite breed but I can't imagine not having one in my life now.

milliepops

Visit site
I've been blessed with some lovely horses in my life and have been very fortunate. However, of them all, the one that makes me smile to myself every time I think of her is my current Welsh sec d. She has strong opinions and believes herself to always be right. She's sensible and brave. Until she isn't. And she makes me laugh every day. It doesn't hurt that she's a pretty little thing and I do love to watch her power trot across the field, knees up by her chin and tail flagging. Daft creature that she is. But for all her quirks she is as safe as houses and would do anything for me so long as I introduce it to her as her idea. Get a good one on side and you'll have a horse of a lifetime. Definitely a Marmite breed but I can't imagine not having one in my life now.
This is how I feel about mine too. She's hilarious and loving and demanding and kind and ridiculous and intelligent and outrageous and obnoxious and the smartest cookie I've ever ridden.
I've had other heart horses but this one is super special.

awelshandawarmblood

Visit site
Mine pushes me to my limit at some point daily and has done for 15yrs! Drives me insane but I love him to bits. He's very unpredictable but at the same time can be safe as houses, just can't call it one day to the next.