Secure event /jump saddles

blitznbobs

Visit site
What makes would you suggest I try before I buy. I have easy access to equipe, Albion, Whittaker prestige ... but are there any other faves out there before I make a decision... I need something secure for a big shouldered big moving horse.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
if you were prepared to go non traditional I'd take a look at a Wow... I loved mine from the instant I sat in it, only saddle I ever felt in balance properly in 2 point and over fences. I rarely jump now but still love it for hacking... benefit of having loads of adjustability.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Are you a knee roll gal, or not? Modern event saddles have practically no knee rolls, so I had big curved ones for my WOW jump saddle, that I can stick my knees in behind. If you want fixed tree, big knee rolls, I think Rachel Bayliss at SPF still sells hers. The other thing I find key is really far forward stirrup bars, but again that's not to everyone's taste.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
You're local to me, I think. . Happy to bring my WOW over for you to try if you like? It's not for sale, but it might give you an idea whether the forward bars, very flat seat and knee rolls are for you or not.

ihatework

Visit site
Try the Albion k2 jump, good all round blocky jump saddle. If you aren’t jumping much you might struggle with the modern cc.

EventingMum

Visit site
I don’t think for a jumping saddle you can beat the patriot that ideal make
Totally agree, it's badged as Stirlingshire Saddle Fitters and made by Ideal, they're hugely popular North of the Border. They're generally flocked so there's good adjustability in them although ours have Flair. There's a Facebook group Who loves a Patriot where second-hand ones are often advertised. Another Ideal one that gets good reviews is the Ideal Impala.

Abi90

Visit site
I have a Fairfax. It’s so secure. I previously had a Kent and Masters and there was nothing to it! Now I feel lovely and snug and secure

Jellymoon

Visit site
If you are new to jumping then I think you can’t go far wrong with Ideal tbh, they are well-made and affordable for normal folk. They have a number of different models - suggest you try them with a saddle fitter. Or Black Country is another quality make that won’t break the bank.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
i had a lovely deep seated saddle which was stolen. it was a barnsby omega 720 event saddle....i loved that saddle, made me feel very secure and was a godsend with my nutty mare who could spin on a sixpence and then bronc....
there are a few out there second hand butnew they are about £1300 so not cheap...

{97702}

Visit site
I really wanted to like the Albion K2 but my big shouldered horse didn't! I ended up with an Ideal Event saddle which was absolutely fantastic, I loved it :)

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
WIth big shoulders the crucial thing is the make sure the tree points sit well back behind the shoulder, that you use a half pad as necessary (lifts the whole saddle up and away meaning the flaps sit more gently on a prominent shoulder, note that a big shoulder in terms of rug fit isn't necessarily the sort of shoulder that affects saddle fit) and then it's down to the tree and panel shape. After that what you find secure won't be the same as someone else, block placement is more important that size of blocks, a deep seat may be too restrictive though might feel nice for flat work....so many factors. Best thing you can do is let you fitter identify what may fit your horse, and then see what you like to ride in. And buy off the peg if you can, they will often come with a very clearly defined ridden trial, if you need to have a saddle make be sure all financial commitments are clear as are any rights of return/refund/swap.

AHarley

Visit site
Prestige every-time. They are beautifully made and so well balanced, the most gorgeous saddles to ride in. Though if you're going to be doing lots of XC I would probably go for a saddle where the where the balance is further back in the saddle with bigger knee rolls (Albion are pretty good for this). Prestige are great for showjumping with a longer more forward position but other brands definitely win over in the XC phase.

paddi22

Visit site
Are you a knee roll gal, or not? Modern event saddles have practically no knee rolls, so I had big curved ones for my WOW jump saddle, that I can stick my knees in behind. If you want fixed tree, big knee rolls, I think Rachel Bayliss at SPF still sells hers. The other thing I find key is really far forward stirrup bars, but again that's not to everyone's taste.

yeah totally agree.. the knee rolls and your stirrup length make all the difference to what suits you.

I had an albion k2 and i LOVED it. Loved the big blocky knee rolls and deep seat. But when i moved up the levels it was catching me going down big drops, and i couldn't slid back enough on the seat. I also needed to raise my stirrups up and get my legs forward , but I couldn't on the K2 as the knee blocks were stopping me, so I switched to a totally different design. I can see the difference in my jumping position so clearly between the two saddles. So its really a case of seeing if the saddles helps or hinders you. But the kneerolls and stirrup bar are so important to get right.

sportsmansB

Visit site
I have an Albion Revelation XC too
I find it more supportive than some mono saddles because of the knee rolls, but still able to be mobile enough for drop fences etc
Unfortunately it doesn't fit my new horse :( so if anyone is looking one, I'll be selling it