Sell? Stay put? Loan?

quietcobcob

New User
Visit site
Need some non biased advice please....

I have a 10 year old cob cross Irish draught gelding, who I've had since he was 3. He has always been hassle free and the ideal horse for me. Rewind a few years and I was offered a fair bit of money for him (not silly money... but more than I paid ) and that has been* the only time selling ever entered my mind- and it only entered it briefly.

Fast forward to* the last 12 months, I'd been poorly, work was mad- so I roughed him off and turned him away to live with a herd in a lovely huge field. I havent seen him in about 4 months because i get such a sense of guilt when i do. He is kept on my husbands uncles farm, so hubby does weekly checks as dowa their groom -he is thoroughly enjoying himself. This is where I need advice- because so am I!* I'm enjoying not being horsey, I'm enjoying not being tied at the end of each day. I am also really not missing riding.

In the next 2 years I want to try and do up our house and I might attempt my masters, I just can't forsee a good time to bring him back into work. Nor do I really want to do it.

I've thought about loaning him- but people normally want a ready made horse... or at least a horse in work. Also I've known of a few loans go very wrong- so I am put off. So then my mind has brought me round to selling- I don't want to bring him back into work to sell him because his personality* would make it so hard. Harder than it normally It* would be.

Do people buy from the field?* When I say people I mean nice normal people who will be nice to my horse... who in turn would become theirs.

I'm not sure if this is a vent or a cry* for advice or just a cry.

Kezzabell2

Visit site
To be it sounds like you've made your mind up! if you're not interested in riding him, I'm sure there will be plenty of people who are! you could just advertise him for loan or for sale and see what options you get! in my honest opinion I think if someone is going to have to bring him back into work they would more than likely want to buy him for peanuts, I doubt someone would want to loan him, put lots of time and money in to get him back to fitness and then may have to potentially have to give him back!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I bought a roughed off horse from the field- I must point out that I paid next to nothing because of the gamble- but I would like to think it's been a happy ending for her. She is well loved, well cared for and has turned into a super horse for me. I'd do it again.

FWIW my other horse is on permanent loan to me, so I know from experience that loan homes can work out well too. I have had previous happy loan experiences too. I don't think I'm particularly unusual in this regard.

However, the thing about loaning is that circumstances can change, even in the best of homes. Could you take him back if things went pear shaped for any reason? As for selling from the field, would you be prepared to accept a rock bottom price?

If the answer to either of those is 'no' then I think sending him to sales livery might be your best bet - if he's as sensible as you say then it shouldn't take too long to get him back up together and ready to find his new home.

Well done for taking this step though - there's nothing wrong with your priorities changing, and you clearly want the best for him.

be positive

Visit site
People will buy from the field but they will be suspicious as to why he is there however genuine you are, it would be better for him and give you more chance of finding a long term home if he was at least up to being lightly tried and fully vetted, is there any possibility of the groom doing a few weeks work to get him into light work, tidy him up and help you sell, his price will reflect the effort put in, otherwise consider sales livery if he is a straightforward horse he should sell easily for decent money to a good home.

quietcobcob

New User
Visit site
Thank you Milliepops, absolutely I would allow him to go for free. However I wouldn't know how to advertise him as I think for "free" ads attract the wrong sort sometime- that sounds so judgmental!

Thank you for your words, they make sense, and make me feel more reassured.

Leo Walker

Visit site
People buy from the field. If I end up in the position to need/want another I will have very limited funds so thats almost certainly what I will do. But I will do it because it drastically reduces the price, so if getting any sort of real price for him is important then doing it from the field isnt going to work.

milliepops

Visit site
Thank you Milliepops, absolutely I would allow him to go for free. However I wouldn't know how to advertise him as I think for "free" ads attract the wrong sort sometime- that sounds so judgmental!

Thank you for your words, they make sense, and make me feel more reassured.

IMO your best bet if you do go down that route, is word of mouth. Do you still have horsey friends and connections? What about the groom? Mine wasn't advertised, I got her from a friend of a friend, who didn't want to send the horse off to a dealer but needed to shift her asap.

quietcobcob

New User
Visit site
IMO your best bet if you do go down that route, is word of mouth. Do you still have horsey friends and connections? What about the groom? Mine wasn't advertised, I got her from a friend of a friend, who didn't want to send the horse off to a dealer but needed to

One of the main reasons for posting on here is.... turning to my horsey friends I'm met with... dont sell, don't loan
.. You'll never find another like him... you are so well suited. .. etc. .. which doesn't really help me. Just makes me feel like the world's worst owner.

milliepops

Visit site
plenty of people give up their horses, permanently or otherwise - things change in life. People move on. It sounds like you have lots of other stuff on the horizon so giving that your full attention is entirely understandable. The world's worst owner would abandon the horse without a second thought... that's not what you're doing so no need to feel guilty.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
why not wait until the spring when more people are looking? once the winter is over you may feel differently so by waiting for the lighter evenings and better weather you can be sure of your decision. not all loans go wrong, i currently have a horse on permanent loan and i look after her as if she is my own she wants for nothing, .. so loaning could be a option for the right person as long as you have a proper contract to ensure that both of you are covered. i would hate to spend ages getting a horse fit and bonding with it and then the owner takes it back to sell....

Annagain

Visit site
Could you invest a bit of money, if not time, in him and pay someone to get him back working - if only to a standard where people can see enough of him to asses whether he'd be suitable? He needn't be super-fit just enough to deal with viewings. You would of course need to explain that he's just coming back into work for the purpose of selling him in any advert so that buyers know there's still work to be done.

Drzoidberg2

Visit site
I understand your reluctance to loan, as we all hear the horror stories, but the huge upside to it is that you can agree to pop in and visit and keep an eye. Once the horse is sold, or even given to a good home, your control is gone, whereas with loaning, you can take him back if you think something isn't right.

I'm biased as I have an amazing horse on loan, but I really think it's a great option of you don't want to let him go completely. My mares owner calls out occasionally to visit, sees the mare is healthy happy and spoiled rotten, and is delighted. If it ever happens that I can't look after her, her owner knows she wont be sold to a dealer or worse after giving her her best years. Its a win win.

I took on the mare after 6 months of retirement, from the field, as there was a mutual friend who put us in contact. I trusted her not to land me with a lunatic as she knew my experience and my history with my last horse and my injury related limitations, and the owner trusted her not to advise giving her first horse out of ponies to someone who would Yahoo it round till it broke down. Such a win win. It really is the way to go if you want to keep an eye.

I saw my mares owners pretty regularly at the start, and as the relationship progressed the visits eased off, but I keep her up to date through messages and Facebook. If you have a few trusted contacts you might find a great loan home pretty easily of he is that genuine.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
IMO your best bet if you do go down that route, is word of mouth. Do you still have horsey friends and connections? What about the groom? Mine wasn't advertised, I got her from a friend of a friend, who didn't want to send the horse off to a dealer but needed to

One of the main reasons for posting on here is.... turning to my horsey friends I'm met with... dont sell, don't loan
.. You'll never find another like him... you are so well suited. .. etc. .. which doesn't really help me. Just makes me feel like the world's worst owner.

Maybe that's just because they know how nice he is compared to the others they have come across and don't want you to regret it, but being horsey friends cannot imagine giving it up themselves so can't fathom that you are enjoying life without it ;) my own has semi retired a few hundred miles away and I haven't fathomed what to do yet myself. He has somewhere to be so no rush you can wait till the right person comes along or if also consider sending him to a good sales livery in the spring who won't do too much bit just get him going enough and would save you wading through some of the people just after a cheap horse/to make a quick buck (obv good skint people exist too but you would have to filter!)

cobgoblin

Bugrit! Millennium hand and shrimp.
Visit site
I think you should swallow the guilt and go and see your horse. It's easy to think you can part with something when you haven't seen it for a while....but face to face with him it may be a different matter.

milliepops

Visit site
I think you should swallow the guilt and go and see your horse. It's easy to think you can part with something when you haven't seen it for a while....but face to face with him it may be a different matter.

it might be, but as OP has already stated she has got other things she wants to do, and hasn't missed riding, I don't think sending her for a guilt trip is really called for? Her horse could find a new home with someone who will enjoy doing things with him, and OP can move on to new things. I wouldn't part with my horses but I quite understand that life moves on for other people and I don't see a problem with that provided the horse is cared for by *someone*.

cobgoblin

Bugrit! Millennium hand and shrimp.
Visit site
it might be, but as OP has already stated she has got other things she wants to do, and hasn't missed riding, I don't think sending her for a guilt trip is really called for? Her horse could find a new home with someone who will enjoy doing things with him, and OP can move on to new things. I wouldn't part with my horses but I quite understand that life moves on for other people and I don't see a problem with that provided the horse is cared for by *someone*.

It's to make sure she doesn't do something she will regret...not to send her on a guilt trip. OP has already said that she doesn't go to see him because she feels guilty so she's already on her own guilt trip...but just because she feels like this now doesn't mean she may not change her mind if she actually interacts with him.

TBmum

Visit site
I would suggest that you put him on loan and when you find the correct loaner (it may take time) after you are happy that he is in the best place he can be and loved as much as you loved him, you can always gift him to the loaner.

This is a win - win answer in my eyes, you know that he is going to the right home and not going to be passed around to every tom dick and harry.

Good luck I think you're really brave to be facing the situation and looking out for what's best for your horse rather than just feeling guilty and leaving him in the field. :)

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I would send him to a selling livery to get back into work and sell. Even if the fees eat up his value, I would trust someone who had paid a fair amount for him to give him a better life than a giveaway. I would definitely sell, you are enjoying life without him.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Some loans can work out very well. My neighbour has 2 horses on permanent loan ATM, one a retired eventer and one a retired SJ pony. Her previous horse was also a retired eventer, she had him for years until she and the owner decided that he needed pts. They have all been word of mouth loans, though.

Clannad48

Visit site
One word of caution regarding a 'permanent' loan. Yes for the right person/horse/loanee they are the best thing ever. However, last year, my friend who had one of ours on 'permanent' loan died suddenly and we had the horse back. Not a nice thing to think about but it must be considered if you go down the permanent loan way. Not only did I have to deal with the death of a very good friend but had to suddenly find a home for the horse.

Jingleballs

Visit site
Sounds like you are ready to let go. Word of mouth is a good way to ensure you find the right home for him as like you mentioned, free or cheap horses can often fall into the wrong hands.

If you can get him back into work or are willing to pay someone else to do it then that might be a better option and get you some money for him.

I sold my super cob that I'd owned for nearly 9 years back in August - family, promotion at work, lack of motivation all contributed to this and I had so many people telling me I'd regret it. Its only been 4 1/2 months but I don't regret it at all. I got some money in the bank, I save a fortune every month and I actually have time to spend with my daughter. I found him a super home and get regular updates and invites to ride him if I want (haven't taken them up on it yet).

I was riddled with guilt also as my boy owed me nothing and was a super star - so many people told me I'd never find another like him but then I wasn't looking for another - I may not ever ride again. You need to do what's right for you.

sunnyone

Visit site
If I read this right: husband's uncle has a groom? They could be your solution.

Have a chat with them and ask if a) they would ride horse for you for a while -be prepared to pay or b) if uncle agrees, look for a rider who could come to the farm and ride the horse. The groom may know just the right person but will probably get involved one way or another, so get them on side.

I have often been amazed by how little an intelligent horse forgets. I even bought a companion mare once who I knew was in foal, but sight unseen and no history as pre-passport days. She did her job as a companion for some months foaled easily and weaned said foal who was sold to a friend but remained with mum and me. One day, after weaning, much more than a year after I bought her we decided to see if mare had been broken, so put saddle and bridle on and kept going, no problem. Friend leapt on and off she went! The mare had forgotten nothing. Everything we asked of her, she did. All we had to do was improve her fitness. She proved to be a really good horse for my friend whilst her foal grew up, often providing the lead when we all rode out together.