Selling Older Horses -Anyone Else Bothered By This?

AdorableAlice

Visit site
I think if you've ever been to an auction you'd realise why I'd be able to pts my healthy oldie if the only other option was sell.

Well said.

One of the saddest sights I have seen (work related) recently was at a riding school inspection.

22 yrd old TB, raced and evented, now in a low standard riding school, poor condition because they cannot afford to give him what he needs and if they did he would not be rideable by the clients. Saddle sores because his wither is high, other sores from rugs that don't fit. Stood on a concrete floor all day everyday and turned out at night with 60 others horses.

All the others are fit for purpose cobby jobs or bigger draught types and of course ponies. The TB simply does not fit into the regime, on asking why they had him the answer came as - his owner wanted him to retire and have an easier life so they gave him to us, he only does a few hours a week with people who like to have a canter.

That poor horse has known the best care, has been loved and has performed his best for someone who should have dealt with him appropriately when he was no longer wanted.

thatsmygirl

Visit site
Depends really does it
my point off view is ... Any horse can get a bad home reguardless off age and iv seen it all to many times but iv also seen old horses get fab homes.

Parker79

Visit site
The problem with 'Vetting' a new home is that you can be so easily duped. Obviously sometimes it works out and the horse has a happy home with responsible owners...but lets face it...there are far too many irresponsible owners!

When you give up a horse then you lose the right to ensure he/she has the very best care til the end. You might vet a home and everthing looks rosey...then they sell on or pass on...or turn out to be completely dishonest!

I do not trust humans enough...obviously I have friends I trust and if a friend was to take on my horse then that is something else...but without a rock solid recommendation I would not let my horse go to the open market.

Dovorian

Visit site
This is a very thought provoking post and I am debating what to do with my `6yo. Although he is fit and healthy, suitable for a novice etc. I keep thinking in circles about what might happen when he 25 (or whatever) if he is not in the right home and how on earth do you ensure the right home.....

Fully appreciate the PTS point of view, and if he had issues of health or behaviour I would totally agree that it it right, but he's fine and the only reason I am in the position is from a personal perspective.

Damed of you do and damned if you don't springs to mind.

rockysmum

Visit site
I've been thinking about this last night.

21 years ago I should have sold my oldie when my partner died and I was struggling for money. He was 15 at the time and I wouldn't as I had all the concerns mentioned on here. I felt that people had to have a good few years riding a horse for him to build up enough credit for them to retire them. I wasn't sure that he did so I struggled and kept him.

21 years on and I have only fully retired him this winter, and that was because he lost weight, not soundness issues. He's not even that stiff considering, he's always the one to drag us to the field and gallop up to come in at night.

I suppose I should have sold our cob when she was 18 and my daughter moved on, but again didn't for the same reasons.

Reading on here the length of time someone has owned a horse doesn't seem to matter. It totally depends on the person involved. Some will pass on after 20 years, some will retire something they have only owned 6 months.

I suppose selling at any age is just a lottery, however much time and effort you put into finding them a good home.

neelie OAP

Visit site
:D I would not even thing about parting with any of my old boys, they have all earned their retirement, and all the time they are happy and healthy they will remain here,it really makes me sick seeing these add where people are trying to palm off their old horses that are no longer any use to them, having given many hours of fun and enjoyment they are now just passed on with no thought whatsoever of where they will actually end their days or what horror they will have to endure in the process, ok we know not everyone will have the facilities/ money to keep retired horses, but there is no reason why they cannot do the decent thing and have them pts.:(

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
One of the saddest sights I have seen (work related) recently was at a riding school inspection.

22 yrd old TB, raced and evented, now in a low standard riding school, poor condition because they cannot afford to give him what he needs and if they did he would not be rideable by the clients. Saddle sores because his wither is high, other sores from rugs that don't fit. Stood on a concrete floor all day everyday and turned out at night with 60 others horses.

All the others are fit for purpose cobby jobs or bigger draught types and of course ponies. The TB simply does not fit into the regime, on asking why they had him the answer came as - his owner wanted him to retire and have an easier life so they gave him to us, he only does a few hours a week with people who like to have a canter.

That poor horse has known the best care, has been loved and has performed his best for someone who should have dealt with him appropriately when he was no longer wanted.

The responsibility for THIS horse lies with the RS. If they did not want the responsibility, they should not have accepted the free gift. Presumably they charge the people who like to have a canter. I can think of no reason that this horse shouldn't have a well-fitting saddle and rug, not adequate feed. I trust that the inspector dealt appropriately with the RS.

This is a very thought provoking post and I am debating what to do with my `6yo. Although he is fit and healthy, suitable for a novice etc. I keep thinking in circles about what might happen when he 25 (or whatever) if he is not in the right home and how on earth do you ensure the right home.....

Fully appreciate the PTS point of view, and if he had issues of health or behaviour I would totally agree that it it right, but he's fine and the only reason I am in the position is from a personal perspective.

Damed of you do and damned if you don't springs to mind.

If you still have the 6 yr old when he is 25, the responsibility for what *might* happen to him is yours. If you don't want a horse in its 20s, then you need to sell it in good time to find it a home where it can have a useful life with someone who will accept that the responsibility for its latter years lies with them, whether that is retirement or pts

Ours have always stayed with us until the end of their days, whether that be the month old foal or the 40 yr old and that is the intention for the rest. I have to say though that the 30 yr old costs us more to keep than the other 2 put together and that is definitely something to consider when deciding a horse's future.

Last edited:

ChiffChaff

Visit site
I agree that selling elderly horses as companions etc is irresponsible for all of the reasons stated, and I like to think that if I had my own horse it would have a home for life.

However, when I am in position to buy my own horse, I will be looking for an healthy, older (probably teenaged) ''been there, done that'' type, who can teach me the ropes. So there are people out there who want older but healthy horses. If no one sold them maybe I would end up with a youngster and be one of those people who get vilified for over horsing themselves without sufficient experience... ;)

Selling an 18yr old with some life still in it is a bit different to selling a 30yr old is what I am trying to say I guess!!

x

CazD

Visit site
Totally agree

I picked an oldie up for a charity yesterday. The owner had been trying to sell, then loan, then slaughter.

Poor poor old guy, thin as a rake, had shoes from last year still on, sores, teeth in need of attention and worse of all a bad stifle injury from a fall months ago. Of course he had never seen the vet or had injections or routine maintenance for years.

Poor ponio. Glad you were able to take him. We have a 25 yr old (vets estimate) pony on loan from a charity. She'd been abandoned aged 22ish. We have her as a companion - and she's worth her weight in gold as she is brilliant at her job. She has a home for life with us and it will break my heart when anything happens to her. The sad thing is, that I'd have paid good money for her to do the job she is doing - yet some ***** chose to dump her.

sidsmum

Visit site
I have a 20 yo Sec D - it's pretty much at the point now where it's too late in the day to sell so he'll remain with me till the end. If I need to retire him I know YO will let him live out nice and cheap.

It's a hard question when they cost so much money but like someone said I couldn't bear it if he got sold to a home who then had him end up in an auction. He doesn't deserve that, no horse does. :(

Amaranta

Visit site
Totally agree

I picked an oldie up for a charity yesterday. The owner had been trying to sell, then loan, then slaughter.

Poor poor old guy, thin as a rake, had shoes from last year still on, sores, teeth in need of attention and worse of all a bad stifle injury from a fall months ago. Of course he had never seen the vet or had injections or routine maintenance for years.

How I kept my mouth shut when the owner said the charity might as well take his rugs as they were ripped and would only fetch a fiver I dont know.

He walks sideways like a crab and was so weak at the back I was worried he would go down in the trailer.

He must have been a beautiful horse a few years ago too.

He's in a good place now and the vet is coming out to see him, so hopefully things will look up.

Breaks my heart, I have a 36 year old and a 22 year old who will never leave me alive.

That owner sounds like a complete and utter t*ss*r, it must be very difficult to keep your mouth closed at times, can't actually put here what I would like to do to such people :mad:

My oldie is 32, she owes me nothing, if I could no longer keep her she will be pts at home, I find it really hard to fathom owners like the one in your post.

Visit site
Someone was trying to move on a 35 year old haflinger in my area ! Couildnt afford to keep it, I know its not cheap having a horse pts, but how sad this was. I nearly offered to have it
and have it pts when the time came, but OH was totally against it.

Wundahorse

Visit site
I would never dream of selling my wonderful 27 year old Arab who i have owned for 16 years.She is the sweetest mare who has never given me a moments trouble,a horse in a million.She is fit,well and happy and still more than capable of doing everthing i have always done.She still loves to race and can show the young horses her heels when we gallop,and she barely gets out of breath.I also have my daughters 17 year old section D who we would not sell either even though she outgrew her 4 years ago.She is big enough for me and i have a lovely teenager who part loans her.It would be cruel to sell either of them.

happyhacking:)

Visit site
Whilst I agree that there are some irresponsible owners out there they are in the minority fortunately. It is very easy to sit and pass judgement on what someone else is doing but it's not always that black and white! early 20s is t that old for horse now really and many oldies are still out competing. If a horse is still able to be in work and provide someone else with a few years of pleasure then sellers should not be made to feel guilty about doing this. If they are beyond that point however and cannot be ridden or found a suitable home (not all horse owners want to ride /drive) then absolutely it it's the owners responsibility to ensure that the horse lives out his days in relative comfort.
We do all have to accept though that if you sell a horse you do not have any say in what happens next and if you are not comfortable with that then don't ever sell one!

Littlelegs

Visit site
My 23 year old looks half her age, is still more than capable of holding her own at local unaffil stuff & is still worth a lot more than meat money. But as a responsible owner if I couldn't keep her I'd research a good loan home so that I could ensure her last days were happy if the loan home couldn't keep her. Making sure she never suffers is the least I can do. Don't get me wrong, I find groups of foals going for meat upsetting but the sight of every old horse I've seen at auctions distresses me more. Maybe because the oldies have so much misplaced trust in humans.

JFTDWS

Visit site
I couldn't bare to pass on my 19 y/old. After 13+ years of putting up with me, I think he deserves better.

With the exception of few instances - the old schoolmaster PC ponies passed on to new families, the home-vetting sales of fit healthy young-seeming veterans like Lolo's, I find it so unsavoury that people can be so selfish with their older animals.

bubbilygum

Visit site
It's heartbreaking seeing old horses passed from pillar to post once they are no longer deemed "useful" by their owners. I've had my boy for 10 years, he's now 17, and his last days will be with me with his face in a bucketful of carrots, whenever that time comes. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if he has another 10 years of hacking left in him and possibly another 10 years of being a field ornament after that!
He owes me nothing, he has been a brilliant friend, and I will sell everything I own and live in a tent before he goes anywhere!

I agree though that older schoolmaster pony types are an exception - many happily potter around well into their thirties, and will go to homes in their twenties where they are well cared for by adoring children. Ponies seem to like this lifestyle better than living out their golden years in a field, and are very well suited to the task of teaching little ones how to ride.

indie999

Visit site
There have even been some youngsters on preloved FREE due to injury etc only as companion broodmare etc etc. And I would not sell any oldie of mine. The thought of what happens to these that are finished with by the human owner! Makes me shudder.

I have read a couple that I have thought yeah free and then someone will try to pass it off as a rideable etc

Horse lovers do not do this to animals that have given them much pleasure. Very sad.

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
It really annoys me. I think if a horse gives you the best years of his life then you owe it to him to repay that. People that get rid of them when they can no longer be ridden really annoy me. When I one day have to retire my boy, I will keep him til he dies. If that means I can no longer afford another horse to ride, then so be it, it will be the least I owe him.

This /\/\ I could not afford to run two horses, my girl would have been with me for as long as she wanted, sadly she was robbed from me suddenly, I owed her everything, she had given me many many wonderful years and I was going to give her a wonderful retirement and never pass her on.
Yes I know people can end up in some difficult situations outside of their control but I would have done right by my girl. This applies to my new girl, if we stay together, which I hope we do, then she will get a happy and well deserved retirement with me, even if that means I cannot afford a second horse which is highly likely, I would just ride something else to keep me ticking over or pay to go trekking etc. I find it so sad that these oldies are sometimes passed on as the owner wants to make way for a shiny new one, very very sad indeed.

PingPongPony

Visit site
one of the saddest things i've seen was at an auction, pretty chestnut welsh a mare, 29years old, awful feet and very skinny, snot coming out of her nose with head low, nose nearly touching the floor. the advert on the pen said : ''this is my kids pony,she is 29years old and she has taught my kids to ride, been with us for 19 years. for sale because kids lost interest in her and now want to focus on their jumping ponies and competing so she is not needed anymore. ''
How can you do that? Pony in very bad condition, needs some food, care and attention, but because they have jumping ponies now they don't care so its just put in the auction. I just dont understand how you can do this :(

Arizahn

Visit site
Mine is only eleven but she is with me for life. I promised her old owner when I bought her that she would never be sold.

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
one of the saddest things i've seen was at an auction, pretty chestnut welsh a mare, 29years old, awful feet and very skinny, snot coming out of her nose with head low, nose nearly touching the floor. the advert on the pen said : ''this is my kids pony,she is 29years old and she has taught my kids to ride, been with us for 19 years. for sale because kids lost interest in her and now want to focus on their jumping ponies and competing so she is not needed anymore. ''
How can you do that? Pony in very bad condition, needs some food, care and attention, but because they have jumping ponies now they don't care so its just put in the auction. I just dont understand how you can do this :(

Gosh that is so sad, prime example of what we discussing, I think I would have cried seeing that poor old girl

jaquelin

Visit site
The auction ones that have been mentioned are the extreme end of the problem. At that point, the elderly horse, even if rideable will only be sold for slaughter, so why not be honest, man up & take directly to the hunt or PTS. I think sales of ride able elderly horses in the open market are pretty theoretical. If a horse is known as a schoolmaster, someone might purchase for a modest sum, but in that case both parties are far better off with a loan arrangement. It's the idea that someone thinks they can get a few quid & get rid of their responsibilities for their oldster that gets me.

Littlelegs

Visit site
Agree entirely, but would also say giving away for free is as bad. Why not just permanent loan so you can assure a kind end?

TwoVeterans

Visit site
I bought my mare when she was 15, she passed the five stage vetting and the vet actually asked me whether I had any intention of selling her on in the future. I said no, she will be with me until she dies. She will be 21 in a couple of weeks time, she loves hacking out and is fit and healthy. We are the oldest combination still going out and about from our yard and put in a lot more mileage than many of the younger combinations! Long may it continue.

ThreeTB's

Visit site
Our 3 are 14, 15 and 20, and they are with us for life. To those who ask 'ah, but what if your circumstances changed drastically and you absolutely couldn't keep them?', the answer is very simple, we'd have them pts. I don't really care what other people think of that decision, aging TB's are not going to be easy to rehome and although it would sadden me greatly, I would sleep at night and have peace of mind knowing 100% my boys could never ever be hurt, neglected or abused.

mirage

Visit site
Knobberpony was 20 when we bought her and although we have only had her 8 months,she has taught my girls loads.If she was unable to be ridden ever again tomorrow,she'd owe us nothing.She has a home for life with us and I'd only ever consider a loan if it was someone that I knew very well indeed and trusted.I've seen too many old horses and ponies in the market to let that happen and have promised that she'll never end up like that.I'm hoping that we still have a lot of happy years together though.

nikicb

www.facebook.com
It really annoys me. I think if a horse gives you the best years of his life then you owe it to him to repay that. People that get rid of them when they can no longer be ridden really annoy me. When I one day have to retire my boy, I will keep him til he dies. If that means I can no longer afford another horse to ride, then so be it, it will be the least I owe him.

That's exactly what I have done. I gave up 10+ years of competing (did a few veteran classes, but no dressage) so my mare could go in her own time. If I had been tougher I guess I could have had her pts a few years ago, but I didn't have the heart to kill off a horse just because she was no longer 'useful' to me. She was pts a few days ago. I am upset at her loss, but very glad that now I feel no guilt about how things panned out. I will get another horse and will start looking quite soon, but I feel I did the right thing by her and get upset when other people want to discard their horses when they can no longer do what they want with them. I also have two ponies that are 19 and 20 and they are going nowhere.

Mithras

Visit site
There seems to be a spate of them round here - adverts offering "18 year old companion horse offered free to good home, needs to go to make way for new horse" are not uncommon.

Like a piece of rubbish you throw away when you get something new.

Not that I think those who pts any horse once it reaches its end of competition lifespan but is still healthy for retirement on no or manageable vet's treatment are any better.

Again, its this throwing away of sentient beings like pieces of rubbish. Not inherently cruel, but not the sort of characteristic in humans who should know better that I find particularly desirable - ruthlessness has its place in big business but not in pet ownership. I sympathise for those who genuinely do not have enough money to keep horses in retirement, but buying a new horse does not mean lack of funds, but all too often lack of being bothered to even keep a retired horse turned out at grass most of the year round.

Not my sort of people. Not the sort of people I would wish to associate with if I can possibly avoid it either.

Last edited: