Selling Older Horses -Anyone Else Bothered By This?

Ibblebibble

Visit site
is it really fair to pass on any age horse or pony when it has come to the end of it's working life? seeing older ones is always awful but a younger one has as much right to a secure future too:confused:

Littlelegs

Visit site
Ibblebibble- I don't agree with passing on young retired horses either, I've never been in that position but same as an older horse I'd only either loan to a suitable companion home or pts.

pizzi

Visit site
I had a Welsh pony which I bought as a 3 year old. Had her for 27 years and would never have tried to rehome her when she got older. Hardest thing was when she had to be PTS. :( She was an old friend who never put a foot wrong. Unfortunately can't say the same thing about the stupid woman who put an aggressive horse out with her in the field.Will never forgive her.
Now have an 18 yr old Welshie with melanoma, laminitic etc. but wouldn't try to rehome her either. Would PTS if I couldn't afford to keep her properly. So sad to see oldies being offered free or cheap.

Lexie81

Visit site
We bought our daughters pony at 21 and he is now 24 and still going strong. Wouldn't dream of passing him on, she has almost outgrown him so next year we will do some inhand showing with him as he loves getting out and was a highly successful showing stallion in his youth before he was cut at 10. I think he has taught enough kids to ride now and had enough passing around (he has had a lot of owners) we adore him and no way would we pass him on to an uncertain future at his age. Breaks my heart to see elderly ponies up for sale when the no longer fit the bill :(