Sensible heads please ..... Horse buying pre winter!

paddi22

Visit site
I still laugh at my poor husband trying to get his head around companions.

I heard him on the phone one night explaining to his friend (who must have asked did we have a horse at the new house) "yeah we have a big group of them because the first brown one needed a friend, but then the other brown one that came as a friend also needed another friend in case the first brown one went out. then the next little tiny one we got as a friend couldn't eat grass cause she got sick, so she needed another little friend so she wasn't lonely. then one of the friends was pregnant, so it's like she smuggling more in inside other horses. I don't even know how many she has now. I never knew horses suffered from loneliness so much"

Flame_

Visit site
So I'm miserable and when I'm like this my great idea to winter without a horse is, well, not so great and i want one. I think i just miss the owning of a horse, not particularly the riding in the crappy weather, losing the light and dealing with the mud but the fussing and caring and the knowledge its mine and not a share or anyone else's!

So I have three acres and stables sitting empty at home and I've seen a rather beautiful laid back ex racer for sale. He is three so in my reasoning I'm thinking buy him, turn him out for the winter to let him down and do a bit more maturing and tick him over with day to day handling, fussing, walks out ect and then start his re education come spring when the weather and daylight hours are on my side ... and frankly when i am more in the mood to ride, lol!

Ok sensible headed people ... talk me out of it please and for all those enablers .. talk me into it :D

I bought both of mine in the few days leading up to Christmas, one on December 23rd! The main worry was how much snow I'd have to deal with picking them up! I'm impatient.

It's very sensible getting one now before the weather gets worse, you'll never hang on 'til next spring :)

shanti

Visit site

I heard him on the phone one night explaining to his friend (who must have asked did we have a horse at the new house) "yeah we have a big group of them because the first brown one needed a friend, but then the other brown one that came as a friend also needed another friend in case the first brown one went out. then the next little tiny one we got as a friend couldn't eat grass cause she got sick, so she needed another little friend so she wasn't lonely. then one of the friends was pregnant, so it's like she smuggling more in inside other horses. I don't even know how many she has now. I never knew horses suffered from loneliness so much"

This made me laugh way too hard lol.

Reminds me of when I had to give a detailed explanation to my husband about why we needed a minimum of 3 of each animal. He just sort of stared at me and then walked away muttering to himself about how he married crazy person.

QuantockHills

Visit site

That's hilarious!!!

Ranyhyn

Visit site
I mean I'm all for the companion idea but my horses were deliberately kept separate (but in sight) of each other and suffer no ill effects. Not that I want to start a debate on that part..!