Serious accident at Somerford park? Does anyone know anything?

Smith123

Visit site
Has somebody had a serious accident at somerford? It's on twitter and event has been abandoned? Hope it's not as bad as it sounds

ajn1610

Visit site
BE have asked for people to stop tweeting about it as it may be that friends and family have yet to be informed so I think the same should go for here. Let's just leave it until a statement is released and everyone who needs to be told has had the news in a proper fashion.

lizh

Visit site
Somebody has been killed but that is all I know. Absolutely tragic. Thoughts are with friends and family

How tragic. Let's hope they were killed instantly and knew nothing. Heartfelt sympathy to family, grooms and all those associated.

blackhor2e

Visit site
It is really terrible, I was competing there and have to say the fence involved was not one that I even had a 2nd thought about. Condolences to all the family xx

HuggyBear

Visit site
Thought it might have, as I have been trying to read the statement but it will not load. Have you had the chance to read what it said?

starryeyed

Visit site
Oh no, what devastating news :frown3: My heart goes out to all who knew the rider, what a tragedy. I can't access the BE statement either, can anyone manage to copy & paste it?

christine48

Visit site
I have heard a rumour as to the name of the rider involved, however this isn't the place to be discussing this. It brings home to us how dangerous this sport is. I don't think I would ever get over it if a rider was killed whilst riding my horse.
RIP x

killikyle

Visit site
This is the statement from BE:

"Somerford Park statement:
A rider suffered a fatal injury at Somerford Park International Horse Trials today (Sunday 18th August 2013). No further information will be released until the next of kin have been informed.

Statement from BE Chief Executive Mike Etherington-Smith: "We would ask that at this extremely sad time that people using social media respect the fact that the rider's family may not be aware of the accident today." We will not be posting any further information today."

Hedwards

Visit site
BE have published their statement on Facebook, can't copy and paste sorry. Terrible tradgedy thoughts to anyone connected/involved with the rider.

HuggyBear

Visit site
This is the statement from BE:

"Somerford Park statement:
A rider suffered a fatal injury at Somerford Park International Horse Trials today (Sunday 18th August 2013). No further information will be released until the next of kin have been informed.

Statement from BE Chief Executive Mike Etherington-Smith: "We would ask that at this extremely sad time that people using social media respect the fact that the rider's family may not be aware of the accident today." We will not be posting any further information today."

Thank you, appreciated.

Dizzydancer

Visit site
My thoughts go to the riders family, friends and all connections.
A terribly sad day for the horse world- a harsh reminder just how quickly things can go horribly wrong in our sport.