Serious accident at Somerford park? Does anyone know anything?

chestnut'mare

New User
Visit site
Absolutely tragic, I was there spectating with my daughter and was walking towards the fence when it happened, absolutely devasted for anyone that knew him, my thought thoughts and condolences are with them.

DollyPentreath

Visit site
Thoughts to all family and friends and respecting the request to not question who it was at this time.

Going by social media I think it's fairly obvious for those who want to know. But I think it's absolutely respectful not to name anyone given the circumstances. A terrible loss for the sport.

Tnavas

Visit site
We have just received notice that it is a Kiwi rider that was killed. No name until the family have been informed - its only just 8:20am here at the moment.

RIP brave soul (((((HUGS)))))

Cedars

Visit site
Awful news for his poor parents to wake up to. Such a young guy too bless him. Makes you think really, and puts our niggles and moans about 'bad days' totally into perspective.

dunkley

Visit site
Heartbreaking for all concerned, and the family so far away :(

Let's hope they are told 'properly' and not by some well-meaning soul who phones to offer their condolences having seen it on a social media site :(

Last edited:

pahocking63

Visit site
Heartbreaking for all concerned, and the family so far away :(

Let's hope they are told 'properly' and not by some well-meaning soul who phones to offer their condolences having seen it on a social media site :(

so very very sad, my heart goes out to the family so far away

Tnavas

Visit site
I think I've worked out who it was, so very very sad. What a talented rider!
I do wonder though, whether the NZ papers should have waited to run the story until tomorrow?!

It is tomorrow here! It's Monday 19th August at 8:46am and NZ Eventing have announced the fatality but not the name.

I would expect that the family have already been informed but the media are giving them private time to grieve before announcing the name.

GlamourDol

Visit site
It is tomorrow here! It's Monday 19th August at 8:46am and NZ Eventing have announced the fatality but not the name.

I would expect that the family have already been informed but the media are giving them private time to grieve before announcing the name.

I know its tomorrow there, what I meant is, given the fact it has only just happened, and all family may not have been informed, would it not have been kinder to wait for tuesday mornings paper.

Tnavas

Visit site
I know its tomorrow there, what I meant is, given the fact it has only just happened, and all family may not have been informed, would it not have been kinder to wait for tuesday mornings paper.

With facebook and other social media it is probably best that we have been advised.

Unfortunately you know what the press can be like - by Tuesday it will no longer be news but history!

Just such a terrible tragedy.

philamena

Visit site
The waiting's more for the UK to do - because of the time difference to wait for morning in NZ so wider family can be told. But given the amount of info out in different places, people can v quickly work out who it was if they go looking so there's little point in the paper waiting even longer. The poor family just need some time to make sure everyone who needs to know, hears it from them personally. So sad. RIP.

Custard Cream

Visit site
Literally just heard, it's not Toddy is it?

ETS just had a quick look on the internet and I'm pleased to say I can't see who it is. That is a credit to BE and all it's supporters.

I'm sure if it was any other sport there would have been videos and all sorts online.

Condolences to the family and all who knew the rider - a stark reminder of how devastating our sport can be.

Last edited:

Buds_mum

Visit site
To the above poster, custard cream. What on earth does it matter!! Someone lost their life exactly who takes nothing from the utter gravitas of the situation!

SusieT

Visit site
cc- please don't speculate, leave it until the name comes up-it doesn't take a genius to work out and it's incredibly sad.

AandK

Visit site
cc- please don't speculate, leave it until the name comes up-it doesn't take a genius to work out and it's incredibly sad.

This.. It's been mentioned several times on this thread that the rider will not be named yet, why the need to know now?

My thoughts are with the riders family and connections, so heartbreaking to hear such news.

Custard Cream

Visit site
Didn't mean to offend, literally just came in and saw the news and put brain into backwards gear. Also hadn't read the thread, just QR.

Of course it is absolutely devastating.

BlairandAzria

Visit site
Just heartbreaking. Thoughts and prayers go out to the poor family waking up to the worst possible news this morning. There but for the grace of god. x

3Beasties

Visit site
I have also heard who it is, such a tragic loss.

It was a rotational fall, the horse apparently got straight up so I would assume it is fine although in the circumstances it hardly seems relevant :(

lindsayH

Visit site
So terribly sad, my heartfelt condolences to all his family, friends and connections. Also thinking of those who witnessed it, how awful for all involved. RIP young man.