Setting a record at Nunney CIC**

HotToTrot

Visit site
It happens to even the very best riders. It happened to Mary King, after all. I think it may have happened to Aoife Clarke. Quite possibly Oli Townened, though I am not sure about that. And those are just the ones we know about - the ones who are sufficiently high profile to command media attention, and/or who get given red cards at FEI events (the cards may not be red, that could well be football, but I've never shown much of a flair for attention to detail and a bit of sport-mixing never did any one any harm). Being "spoken to". Having concerns expressed. Concerns about safety, about lack of control. So, yes, I know that plenty of better riders than I have received a ticking off in this regard.

What I am less certain of, though, is whether it has ever happened to anyone IN THE BLOODY DRESSAGE PHASE. I wasn't riding too fast to a fence, I didn't jump anything from a standstill, I quite simply trotted in at A and proceeded to demonstrate a frankly impressive display of Parrot-wrestling as I manhandled my horse round FEI CIC** Test A.

Is he always like this, the judge asked, and I nodded in assent. Would I be safe to jump, she queried, and I smiled and said I certainly hoped so. I'd have to be watched, she continued, and I smiled again, and thought that she could watch away, for all the difference it made. She was concerned, she said, she thought I didn't have enough control.

Although I maintained a level of nonchalance, her words cup me deeper than perhaps she intended, and I didn't contradict her, for what could I say? How could I begin to explain to her that I don't exist in this world, not really. That CIC**s and polished dressage tests are not my norm, that to me the dressage score is meaningless; it's a number that must be ascribed to me before I am allowed to jump. How could I tell her that last year, my cheeks still wet from the tears I'd shed for my beautiful Vito, I'd gone out, and I'd bought a horse. I bought not a horse with whom I harboured aspirations of greatness, not a horse on whom I'd hoped for placings and rosettes, but a horse who gives pony rides to my 18-month old son. A horse who makes my three year old daughter squeal in delight as he gently snuffles carrots from eager little hands. A horse who I will ride down to the very biggest of fences; a horse who will move heaven and earth to bring me home safely through the finish flags. That's the horse I bought. And I'd buy him again in a heartbeat.

My husband was furious. How dare she put negative thoughts into my head, he'd roared. I should tell her to look up his record. Tell her that his scores were just as bad with a four-star pro. Tell her that he'd jumped round Advanced tracks and that to him, two-star was a walk in the park. So I spoke to the TD, I found out what exactly "being watched" would involve and I also found out the name of the dressage judge.

So, to everyone on here who has very kindly told me that I can't possibly be as bad as I think I am, that I'm actually quite competent, that I do myself a disservice; ladies and gentlemen, here I present you conclusive, empirical evidence of why none of what you say is true. Because here I was, standing in the middle of a field in Somerset, being told just exactly how bad I was, by none other than Jane Holderness-Roddam. Jane Holderness Roddam, as funny coincidences go, used to work with my father. It will remain a source of frustration to me that I missed the chance to shout, triumphantly, "DO YOU KNOW WHO MY FATHER IS?" but then, given that I didn't in fact recognise who she was until the secretary told me, the answer would probably have been "no".

To cheer ourselves up, we proceeded to discover a flat tyre on the buggy and carry a writhing, fidgety baby round the XC course. As you may well understand, I was looking forward to leaving the event for the night, to getting some sleep, and to coming back to do a bit better the following day. Which was inconvenient, in light of the fact that the Chelsea Tractor, alerted in all likelihood by Jane Holderness-Roddam to my ineptitude and inability to control or steer when moving at speed, took its survival into its own hands and refused to start. Undeterred, I flagged down an unsuspecting 4x4, proffered my jump leads expectantly and politely invited them to help me to jump start my car. Sadly, though, the Chelsea Tractor was not to be fooled as easily as all that. Still it refused to start and so we turned instead to a hovering Competent-Looking Type, who was armed to the teeth with a Van and all manner of Useful-Looking Things. And, as I gaily brandished live jump leads surging with power from the Cheslea Tractor's 12-volt battery, I couldn't help but think that, should Jane Holderness Roddam have taken it upon herself to appear at that very moment and worriedly voice her concerns for my safety, then frankly, I'd have been forced to agree with her.

We walk on a narrow path, we event riders. Some paths are narrower, some are wider, but underneath all of our paths, lies the same thing. The Chasm of Doom. The demons. And here's the annoying thing about the Chasm of Doom; it's real. Nobody falls into the Chasm of Doom when they win. Nobody falls in as a result of a clear round. We fall into the Chasm of Doom because our path crumbles, because we meet insurmountable obstacles and because something has gone wrong. To get out of the Chasm of Doom and stay out of it, we need to repair the path. Remove the obstacles. As I drove back to Nunney the following day, I saw my path crumbling. I quietly told my husband that I wanted to go home, I didn't want to jump. I didn't want the pressure of being watched by the ground jury and found wanting. Maybe there was, after all, something wrong with Parrot. Maybe he was sore, had a bad back. And if the showjumping did all go wrong, what then? Would I be publicly hung from the trakhener with my own jump leads by Jane Holderness-Roddam?

My husband was silent for a bit. Then he said: "Ok. There's no point in doing it if you don't think it's the right thing. But remember that you don't have to do it all at once. Just tack up, then get on. See how he feels, see how you feel. You can't do any harm by warming up. If that feels ok, then have a practice jump. If he feels good, then you can do your round and see how that goes. If you feel fine, then you can go XC. Just decide one step at a time." Although I was calmly abseiling down into the Chasm of Doom, I agreed with him. I'd just get on. If I didn't like what I felt, then I could stop. As I rode to the warm up, I tried to think it all through. I'd been given an unequivocal vote of no-confidence from one of the most prominent eventing judges know to man and Parrot-kind, and if she didn't think I could do it, then maybe she was right. In entering that arena, I would be nailing my colours to the mast and saying that I knew better than she did. And that, let me tell you, is a punchy call to make. I started at the beginning. What concerns her? My lack of control. Why is that a problem? Because I might loose him to a fence and get hurt. *To a fence.* And there I had it. her comments were based on my performance on the flat. Not over a fence. She doesn't know that I can hold this horse to a fence. So I had to get out there, get in the ring, and show her that I damn well could.

Last edited:

HotToTrot

Visit site
We jumped a cracking round. One down, but he felt amazing. My husband didn't have to say he'd told me so, because I knew he'd told me so. The Chasm of Doom was behind me, for now, and I was back on the path. Parrot turned on the turbo-charge fairly early on in the XC, but he was listening and he stayed straight, so I let him run over the first few. The first fence of note was at number six, a step down to a steep slope, with two skinny angled hedges at the bottom, on four strides. I just couldn't get him back as we came down the slope, so we ran past twice and then continued on our way. Eight was a big parallel to a skinny, and he stayed on his line this time, over an upright gate, followed by a massive picnic table, and then we went down to the first water. This was a tricky question, with a big turtle in, followed by a skinny out. I gathered him together, made him come deep to the first element, and then had the control I needed for the exit fence. Although Jane Holderness-Roddam would doubtless have been in awe of my flawless control at that point, she would likely have been somewhat less impressed with the near navigational mishap that occurred shortly after. I saw the green flag on the upright that preceded the second water crossing, set him up.... And then remembered that it's normally recommended practice to follow the blue flags at two-star, so opted for the blue-flagged fence next to it instead. He turned the turbo charge on again as we surged up the hill to a big brush parallel and then I got him back for the skinny before the water. Once he'd cleared it, he locked on to the water, and went to take a pull. No way, Parrot. The third water was a double of very upright rails into the water, followed by a jump in the water. The turbo-charge is amazing. Flying over a huge fence on that horse feels like nothing on this earth, but if I'd let him take me down to a double like that, then even he would not have been able to get up for the second part, and we'd both have ended up on the floor. I anchored him and he got a nice shot in, popped the second rail and then took me forwards to the log in the water.

Towards the end of the course, there was a hanging log at the top of a steep slope, with a skinny at the bottom of the slope. "Houston", I thought, recalling only too vividly what had happened at fence 6, "we may well have a problem". I got him back for the log, but still he went to belt down the hill. Instead of turning him right, to the skinny, I turned him left. He took a pull and I sat back, got hold of his head. As we ran parallel to the string that roped off the course, he suddenly listened and came back to me. Now I needed to turn very sharply right, and angle the skinny on about two strides, it was a trickier line than the course builder intended me to take, but I would be doing it from a place of control. In turning away from the skinny, I'd bought myself a couple of precious extra strides in which to get him back, and now we cleared the skinny and we headed home. "Kates Touch" announced the commentator, "nearly has a run out at 18b". I did not, I thought indignantly. That was a calculated piece of masterful manoeuvring, and also a completely characteristic example of me turning left when I am supposed to be turning right.

So here is photographic evidence of my brilliant horse and, to dressage judges far and wide, I will say only this: He may well be tense. Our dressage may well be truly dreadful, but to answer your question - yes. Yes, he is "always like this". And I sincerely hope that he always will be.

http://s1362.photobucket.com/user/VivianePendleton/media/IMG_5477_zpsyazfng2x.jpg.html?filters[user]=136295434&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
Well to be fair what does the dressage judge know ;), I think you should be applauded for getting back on and knowing you could do it regardless of the wobble of confidence!

I'm sure the dressage will improve the longer you are a partnership together, but at the end of the day when he jumps so well and is such an awesome part of your family life then who cares :).

FfionWinnie

Visit site
I would love to know what sort of "dangerous manoeuvre" he did to provoke such a comment from her?

Great report as ever. Your husband is getting a lot better with the right thing to say isn't he! ;)

smja

Visit site
Glad you remembered which colour to jump, the description of the turbo-charge makes me feel very jealous. I'm having to event vicariously at the moment, your excellent report really cheered me up :D

p.s. photobucket link isn't working for me :(

Pebble101

Visit site
I have a similar sort of horse although at a much lower level. Hovering around the 30 - 40% in dressage (once got the comment 'rider out of control') but he usually jumped a double clear.

I suppose once it has been brought to their attention they have to keep an eye on you. Do they come up afterwards and say they were happy with you?

HotToTrot

Visit site
Sorry - I can't make the photo work! Someone else made it work last time - Director Fury! Please could you come back and show me how to do it?!

Last edited:

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
hopeless!

IMG_5477_zpsyazfng2x.jpg

the photo adding not the eventing :D

Sandy200

Visit site
Hope your husband charges extra for his sports psychology counselling - he sounds great! Dressage is just something in the way of the cross country anyway. Surely it's not important?

bluebellfreddy

Visit site
I always love your reports, they make me just want to get on with my eventing.

You are a true inspiration to us eventers that don't have the most perfect creatures. Hope you have not been put off by your experience at Nunney, and all the best with your next event.

PS. Can I take your husband to events for my moral support.

{97702}

Visit site
Well if you are going to get that feedback, surely it is better to get it from the best :D wow, just stalked you on BE, she really didn't like your dressage did she :eek:

Good luck for your next 2* you are really going for it, huge respect :) :) :)

star

Visit site
Bloody hell, that fence is humongous! I wouldn't give a monkeys nuts what my dressage score was if I could soar over fences like that!

HotToTrot

Visit site

almostthere

Visit site
Well done for overcoming the negative feedback. I would have been so far into the chasm of doom that nobody would have been able to retrieve me ;).

Mickyjoe

Visit site
In her defence, JHR is one of the very, very nicest, most friendly and approachable GJ people in the whole sport. She would not have meant any of that in a mean or negative fashion and I am sure was absolutely delighted to have seen you do so brilliantly in the next two phases. Well done for overcoming such a tough start and doing so amazingly well in the jumping and xc.

leflynn

Visit site
I read that thinking it might have been a very expensive dressage test :eek: Get on for shoving two fingers up at the chasm of doom and cracking on, love it :D

Farma

Visit site
'Would I be publicly hung from the trakhener with my own jump leads by Jane Holderness-Roddam?'

That just made me lol! As always brilliant Viv, you are such an inspiration as I am facing getting back on and getting out competing with baby in tow, I just keep thinking if you can do it so can I, keep it up!

ps looking forward to seeing your Vito reports soon ;)

9tails

Visit site
This line made me guffaw: "Tell her that his scores were just as bad with a four-star pro."

The fences are mighty big in 2* aren't they? You are very brave and accomplished.

ihatework

Visit site
I just love your reports and writing style, it just cracks me up.
Glad you managed to crawl out of the chasm of doom!

I too am sure JHR would never have intended to make that kind of impact (or indeed hang you from the trakhener via jump leads, lol) - she is very down to earth and just doing her job but does raise an interesting point about whether the rider should be informed they are being watched or not. Had you been on a watch list but not known you were would it have made a difference?

Kylara

Visit site
Lovely to hear you did continue and do well in the SJ and XC, and fab picture.

I too have had a terrible nutjob in the dressage (many years ago 13.3 pony!) I got pulled aside after dressage frequently with a "are you sure you'll be ok in the jumping phases?" to which I always mumbled that he was perfect over fences, he just hated dressage. I don't think it helped that we were doing 3'9" courses either (what is now BE novice and advanced I think). It got to the point that quite a few people on my local circuit knew the crazy pony. We worked to get as much of the test "correct" that we wouldn't be eliminated and then charged around double clear SJ and XC and ended up with our rosettes, then dressage scores started to become of major importance to the eventing results and we quit and started doing HTs instead, where he was one of the most sane in the warm ups!

Turbo charge on a 13.3 was fabulous so I can very well imagine the beauty and thrill on a much bigger horse. Well done, and don't let it get to you. I once had a lesson with an FBHS who didn't like how I held and set up said mental pony to a grid so told me to not do anything and "let him take you in", which I did. One of my best ever memories where the I told you so moment really was perfect. Long grid with a bounce, one stride, one stride, two stride to huge oxer. Pony had been doing it well with struct instructions to hold back and sit on his bum, then I "did nothing and let him take me" and we jumped the bounce as a spread, bounced the one strides, and shoved a small stride into the two stride to the oxer which he flew beautifully. I was simultaneously terrified and enjoying it and the FBHS guy's face was a picture. My lovely friends cheered and pony was over the moon.

Just because people are well known or very good themselves, unless they know your equine, they can only make judgements from their own experience. Parrot sounds like a much higher achiever than my Finn was so I can only imagine she has never had a horse that was a difficult ride in the DR only to fly the SJ and XC. I so wish mine had been bigger as we couldn't affiliate him due to his size and I'm sure advanced was his limit, not that he wouldn't have had a go ;)

Congrats and I hope you get a big copy of that picture!

HotToTrot

Visit site
Well to be fair what does the dressage judge know ;), I think you should be applauded for getting back on and knowing you could do it regardless of the wobble of confidence!

I'm sure the dressage will improve the longer you are a partnership together, but at the end of the day when he jumps so well and is such an awesome part of your family life then who cares :).

Thanks - he is fabulous. I genuinely don't think our scores will improve, but it doesn't matter. I am never going to get placed at Int or CIC** - it's really a question of how many marks I am last by, rather than a question of whether or not I am last! I am happy just to be at those events, with that horse, and I do want to improve my riding, I do have lessons with good people, but I don't mind if the improvement doesn't translate into improved scores!

I would love to know what sort of "dangerous manoeuvre" he did to provoke such a comment from her?

Great report as ever. Your husband is getting a lot better with the right thing to say isn't he! ;)

I think it was just general lack of control! Yes, husband is extremely useful.

Glad you remembered which colour to jump, the description of the turbo-charge makes me feel very jealous. I'm having to event vicariously at the moment, your excellent report really cheered me up :D

p.s. photobucket link isn't working for me :(

Oh dear, injured pony?

I have a similar sort of horse although at a much lower level. Hovering around the 30 - 40% in dressage (once got the comment 'rider out of control') but he usually jumped a double clear.

I suppose once it has been brought to their attention they have to keep an eye on you. Do they come up afterwards and say they were happy with you?

No, the TD said that the ground jury would watch me SJ and they might watch me XC, but that if they were happy, then nothing more would be said.

Parrot just sounds awesome! brilliant report!

Although i cant see the picture :(

He is!

Awesomely awesome., what do you think she meant by it?!

[
It works for me

I think she thought that if he belted off with me on the XC, then we would be in trouble. So for example, there was a stiff double of uprights into the third water. If I'd lost control of him there, it could have been a disaster. And she did have a bit of a point; I lost him down the hill to the angled hedges, and we ran out. I didn't lose him dangerously, and that fence was designed to make you make exactly the mistake I made! But I guess you can see that if he was likely to just tank me off into fences willy-nilly, then it would have been dangerous.