Shall I???

hihosilver

Visit site
Buy a gorgeous blue and white 4 years old cob with a temperament to die for. Hoys potential. Hunted to date and was well behaved. Very tempted! but he is £5250! is this too much? how do people manage with 2 horses? x

Mongoose11

Visit site
Are you able to double your time commitment? I don't get it when people say 'got two so might as well have three'. The only thing that won't be doubled is travelling to and from the yard. Post his ad?

Mongoose11

Visit site
He's young and I can't see what puts him at £5250 other than he's a nice sort, is proving reliable and is blue. I'm not keen on how he's been started by the looks of his frame in the flat work. Pm Adorable Alice, if I was looking at this type of youngster then I'd want to know what she thought of it.

Sukistokes2

Visit site
Usually I'm all for more horses but I don't like this ones eye, however if you are smitten go and have a look. Seems a hell of a lot of money for a 4 year old. I would also bulk at a horse that had been hunted at four, but that is a really personal thing I know a lot of people don't care or even like that sort of thing.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site

alice.j

Visit site
Not a fan, personally. Very over bent (as most of the for sale horses seem to be) and he looks a bit uncomfortable I think. I wouldn't buy him for a tenth of what is being asked!

hihosilver

Visit site
Usually I'm all for more horses but I don't like this ones eye, however if you are smitten go and have a look. Seems a hell of a lot of money for a 4 year old. I would also bulk at a horse that had been hunted at four, but that is a really personal thing I know a lot of people don't care or even like that sort of thing.

What's wrong with his eyes?

hihosilver

Visit site
He's young and I can't see what puts him at £5250 other than he's a nice sort, is proving reliable and is blue. I'm not keen on how he's been started by the looks of his frame in the flat work. Pm Adorable Alice, if I was looking at this type of youngster then I'd want to know what she thought of it.

Thanks I will PM her x

MargotC

Visit site
I'd personally find the price a bit steep. Would he be as tempting if he was a different colour? That said if what it says in the ad about his temperament is accurate, you like him, and you have the time and the means it might be worth trying him.

Leo Walker

Visit site
I dont like him at all. Hes already overtopped for his bone at 4yr old, by the time hes 7yr old hes going to bulk up massively, so its only going to get worse. His way of going is terrible for a pro yard. And second the person who said they don't like his eye. Hes got a very small eye, and thats not going to change. I always think that gives them a mean look, no matter how nice they are.

I'm sure my horse could be pulled to shreds, but then again I wasnt advertising him as a 4yr old going like that for in excess of 5k

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
It is bent backwards at the knee.

I did think from his confo pic that he was perhaps a bit back at the knee anyway. I'm not sure I see his confo as top class, not sure he has enough shoulder/length of neck but no expert.

hihosilver

Visit site
It is bent backwards at the knee.

I did think from his confo pic that he was perhaps a bit back at the knee anyway. I'm not sure I see his confo as top class, not sure he has enough shoulder/length of neck but no expert.

No I am no expert either but yard has a good reputation.

hihosilver

Visit site
I'd personally find the price a bit steep. Would he be as tempting if he was a different colour? That said if what it says in the ad about his temperament is accurate, you like him, and you have the time and the means it might be worth trying him.

Yes I think he will be worth seeing.

hihosilver

Visit site
Cob body on spindly legs. Probably been schooled in draw reins, judging by the 'outline' which the vendors seem keen to show off.

Probably a pleasant enough little chap for a lightweight rider, but never HOYS material.

oh thanks for your opinion. I don't want him to do HOYS just a RC allrounder type. I presume you know about cobs

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
oh thanks for your opinion. I don't want him to do HOYS just a RC allrounder type. I presume you know about cobs
I do have cobs, but for performance, not for showing (which tbh is not my thing). I would not expect him to show at a high level, as he is light of bone for his type. I think that he could make a nice RC allrounder, and could show at local level.

Not impressed with the overbending, and not sure how easy that will be to correct.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Not good enough conformation for me at that money .
I think he will mature to be heavy topped as he's light on bone for type and that is never good for soundness .
He on his forehand and over bent in every picture so your not buying any useful training just a great load of issues to correct .

Clodagh

Visit site
You see so many LW cobs who are really just fat, hogged small hunters. Don't think he would worry the judge at HOYS for long.
I like him though, and coloureds aren't my thing.

ETA I think he is tied in at the knee? There is only one photo with his legs straight, and in that one the light makes it difficult to see. It really is a pro yard, they put a lot of thought into the photos.

Last edited:

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
He is priced as a potential show cob with good confo not a 4 yo RC all rounder though.

Even though he is NOT actually a potential HOYS horse. His confo isn't good enough for HOYS, how on earth is he standing in the stationary picture - back legs far too close, front legs far too far apart? And he has been ridden very badly, the main reason he is on the forehand and overbent is the the rider is tipped forward in just about every picture. If that is the standard of his schooling, he would need to be re-started imo. And I certainly wouldn't pay more than £2000 to do that with this particular cob.

So, OP, in answer to your question; "No!" But it's your money, your choice.

Nudibranch

Visit site
I do think he's light on bone, and for a pro yard the schooling is dismal. As for his eye, I think he looks quite kind and genuine despite slightly piggy eyes, and he does have a lot of white in one which often gives the wrong impression. He looks like he is trying hard and being asked a lot of for a 4yo (my 4 yo is just doing short hacks and that's all for example). The price is ridiculous - I guess they're playing on his (current) colour which is a bit silly really. I would say in the region of 2K and not much more tbh.