Shall I???

EquiEquestrian556

Visit site
I think he's nice, and that's it. Has a kind eye in my view. Cob? - No. HOYS potential? - Absolutely not. 'Unflappable'? - Very hard to tell at his age. Don't like his way of going at all, BHV in all the schooling pics. Conformation pic isn't great, he's tied in at the knee, so a conformation defect. I also don't like the look of his hooves. He could turn out to be a great leisure horse, but I don't think you'd go far competing with him. Also, personally I think he's done a bit much for his age.

If you really like him (which seems to be the case), go and see him, but don't let your heart rule your head. What about your other horse? Will you have time for two?

If you want my honest opinion, there are far nicer horses out there OP, for a lot less money. He's OK, but nothing brilliant. Are you looking for another horse, or did he just catch your eye?

Luci07

Visit site
Reading this post through reminds me why I never ever post photos of my horses! Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it's a shame this horse has been ripped to pieces so much. AA's analysis was fair.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
TBF lots of people have said what AA has, that he isn't a cob (which he is being sold as) and would possibly make a nice RC allrounder type but that the OP should have a good look at his front legs in real life.

What people say about other's horses does rather depend on the situation, this horse belongs to a dealer who is very much trying to upsell, I don't see it as a bad thing to inject a bit of realism about him - The OP could have been wanting a LW show cob as far as we knew at the start of the thread- given that she highlighted the fact he had hoys potential in her first post.

risky business

Visit site
Tbh I don't think it matters what horse you post on here they always get ripped to shreds.

Personally I wouldn't pay a lot of money for any cob but that's just my preference. You clearly like the horse OP I think your dismissing of negative comments says as much.

Just go see him and judge the horse you find in front of you. You can pay great sums of money and have something with perfect conformation and it still end up useless..

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
No, they really don't, sometimes people are over critical but a potential purchase was posted just the other day which invited mostly good comments.

flirtygerty

Visit site
Mine was lovely as a 4yr old, as a 5yr old hes a very different horse! Hes found 5th gear and he wants to go, go, go all the time. Medium trot is his favourite party trick at the minute, whether its asked for or not. We've also had lots of issues to work through on the ground as he is pushing boundaries left right and centre. I have no doubt he will settle down so long as I keep on top of him, but there are times I would cheerfully hand him over to the gypsies and walk away without a backwards glance!

This, my cob was great at 3&4yr old, placed every time at shows, old head on young shoulders, didn't put a foot wrong on the ground or under saddle, now a 5yr old he's horrible, bolshy at best, constantly testing his known boundaries, I don't know this thug and have taken him back to basics and taking no crap from him

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I think that people are more critical of potential purchases when compared to owned horses (unless a conformation critique has been asked for by the owner) and that that is how it should be. I've posted a fair few photos of my horse with a bench knee and no-one had ever been rude about his leg, in fact I don't think that anyone has ever mentioned it.

The 'fault' with the horse in the OP isn't really the horse itself, rather the stretched truth in the ad.

Boulty

Visit site
I don't like the look of his front feet (I'd take a good look at them if you view him) / knees or how overbent he is in most of the pics. The feet and the overbending are both fixable with the right input from the right professionals.

I do think he is being advertised as something he can't quite measure up to and so if over priced for what he is and his age.

That said if his temperament is as they describe and he's been out and seen a bit of the world and not been phased by it then worth a look if he ticks the boxes you want ticking.

The most expensive part of horses is the upkeep rather than the purchase price anyway so if paying over the odds is something you can live with (I'm from Yorkshire, such things annoy me greatly!) then go ahead. I'd highly doubt they'll come down to a totally realistic price but they'll prob have some wriggle room built into the figure they have him on at

kassieg

Visit site
if you want a blue & white I much prefer this http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/clas...enshire/carmarthen/seriously-nice-472764.html

you can't tell if anything is bombproof at 4. Mine was a dope on a rope at 3 & 4 could have literally let off a bomb next to her with no reaction, 5 she was a nutter & now at 6 she is sane again but not as she was at 4, just safe, will still have a spook at stupid things but tractors etc pose no issues. If you want something confirmed safe buy a 7 year old plus :)

paddi22

Visit site
yep, much prefer that one. looks like a happy character that has not been messed with too much. Much prefer ads like that instead of the other one which was an over-priced, very average cob who's been fiddled with and hyped-up description for an ad.

Annagain

Visit site
Are we forming an orderly queue for the rising 4 year old :)?!

Nothing orderly about my queuing. I'm closer than you lot, will race you there!

....except I vowed never to have another grey, struggle to keep my two in enough work and probably wouldn't do a youngster justice. If I was looking though....

ETA - OP seriously consider how much extra work greys are. I have two and spend far more time scrubbing than actually riding! I really am never having another.

hihosilver

Visit site
Nothing orderly about my queuing. I'm closer than you lot, will race you there!

....except I vowed never to have another grey, struggle to keep my two in enough work and probably wouldn't do a youngster justice. If I was looking though....

ETA - OP seriously consider how much extra work greys are. I have two and spend far more time scrubbing than actually riding! I really am never having another.

Grey horses are my favourite. I have one but he is a grey roan so a bit easier!

Speedyfluff

Visit site
if you want a blue & white I much prefer this http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/clas...enshire/carmarthen/seriously-nice-472764.html

you can't tell if anything is bombproof at 4. Mine was a dope on a rope at 3 & 4 could have literally let off a bomb next to her with no reaction, 5 she was a nutter & now at 6 she is sane again but not as she was at 4, just safe, will still have a spook at stupid things but tractors etc pose no issues. If you want something confirmed safe buy a 7 year old plus :)

He does look gorgeous but ridden on a very short rein in a Cheltenham gag at age four! Good grief!

cavalo branco

Visit site
I love greys!! My two aren't endlessly scrubbed except for a party and a few extra tail washes, they stay clean enough. Nothing beats a good grey for temperament....except possibly a dun.
Now form an orderly queue to tell me I'm wrong!!!

Pie's mum

Visit site
Grey horses are my favourite. I have one but he is a grey roan so a bit easier!

They aren't that much easier..... The blue bits show poo and grass stains!! And this one looks as though it might grey out so in a few years the blue bits may have faded to white hair on black skin!!
I love my blue and white boy to the ends of the earth but if I get another it will be an easier keep clean colour scheme!

applecart14

Visit site
Buy a gorgeous blue and white 4 years old cob with a temperament to die for. Hoys potential. Hunted to date and was well behaved. Very tempted! but he is £5250! is this too much? how do people manage with 2 horses? x

My question wouldn't be 'how to people manage?', it would be 'how to people afford two?' I think that's what you have to look at. Mine costs me around £100 - £110 per week. I know I couldn't afford two and with the uncertaintity of being between temp contracts when one finishes its a nightmare of worrying! I am already thinking about next March when this site has been built and the job handed over to the client. Where or what do I do next? I couldn't bear the thought of doing that with two, its stressful enough with one.

Annagain

Visit site
I love greys!! My two aren't endlessly scrubbed except for a party and a few extra tail washes, they stay clean enough. Nothing beats a good grey for temperament....except possibly a dun.
Now form an orderly queue to tell me I'm wrong!!!

I wish mine did. This is how one of mine looks most of the time. (sorry I know I've posted it a lot) You always expect a bit of extra work with a grey but he is beyond. If he gets too hot under a rug he removes it - in 7 pieces if necessary! The other's not so bad but every time I take one somewhere I need at least 2 hours extra to get him ready and I simply can't manage to get the two ready for anything other than a lesson on the same day.

c83aa44e-1b70-4719-982b-092997b5163c_zpscleft2bm.jpg

eb62d736-e736-4b66-a610-edd829376461_zpsy2kxp8ao.jpg

75922550-ec52-4d79-8479-1f50eb858f00_zpsdcaviinz.jpg

And when he's not muddy, he's yellow :rolleyes:
afacdc9b-72d0-47cd-abc0-eb26042f32ba_zpsgqgfxb9y.jpg

hihosilver

Visit site
They aren't that much easier..... The blue bits show poo and grass stains!! And this one looks as though it might grey out so in a few years the blue bits may have faded to white hair on black skin!!
I love my blue and white boy to the ends of the earth but if I get another it will be an easier keep clean colour scheme!

Maybe I am just lucky my boy keeps himself clean!

hihosilver

Visit site
I wish mine did. This is how one of mine looks most of the time. (sorry I know I've posted it a lot) You always expect a bit of extra work with a grey but he is beyond. If he gets too hot under a rug he removes it - in 7 pieces if necessary! The other's not so bad but every time I take one somewhere I need at least 2 hours extra to get him ready and I simply can't manage to get the two ready for anything other than a lesson on the same day.

c83aa44e-1b70-4719-982b-092997b5163c_zpscleft2bm.jpg

eb62d736-e736-4b66-a610-edd829376461_zpsy2kxp8ao.jpg

75922550-ec52-4d79-8479-1f50eb858f00_zpsdcaviinz.jpg

And when he's not muddy, he's yellow :rolleyes:
afacdc9b-72d0-47cd-abc0-eb26042f32ba_zpsgqgfxb9y.jpg

Lovely horses! I do love greys! maybe because mine is a dark grey he is easier! I know he will go white!

Indy

Visit site
I think he looks nice. Would I spend 5 grand on him - no because I haven't got that sort of money....if I had and I liked him as much as you seem to then yes i probably would.

As for having more than one horse I've found that 2 or even at a push 3 is manageable - but then I've managed to end up with 7 ......2 or 3 is a walk in the park!