Shameful riding at Badminton XC

Mondy

Visit site
Lauren Shannon's Zero Flight took his name seriously and refused at the lake.

Unsurprising, considering the strides towards the jump did not fit in any way - yet, the rider responded by heavy-handedly sawing his mouth before taking the reins in one hand to leave the other free for whipping the horse. It was a very ugly spectacle, made even clearer for the viewer's pleasure by the subsequent replay in slow motion.

In Denmark, such behaviour would have seen her eliminated and given a hefty telling-off. Maybe I'm culturally damaged in that way; I'm used to a mode of thinking that does not tolerate punishment, and certainly not punishment for an error that belonged to the one on top.

Mondy

Visit site
And Ingrid Klimke has just demonstrated how to do this riding thing properly. Absolutely delightful - such a sympathetic horsewoman.

teapot

Visit site
If it warrants a speaking to by the stewards then they'll speak to her no doubt, especially given the number of high up officials attending Badminton...

Mondy

Visit site
Poor Ingrid Klimke. Nasty fall :-(

Regarding the stewarding, that is part of my problem. What grates me seems accepted as the norm.

stolensilver

Visit site
I've been thinking Ingrid Klimke was riding a bit wild and fast and unfortunately she has paid for it with a crashing fall. I hope she's OK but her leg doesn't look good. :0(

olderthanshelooks

Visit site
what happened to Ingrid, went to eat my dinner come back to see her being lited onto a stretcher. Damn red button decided not to work on the freeview so missed the last 15 mins

teapot

Visit site
Poor Ingrid Klimke. Nasty fall :-(

Regarding the stewarding, that is part of my problem. What grates me seems accepted as the norm.

Tbf, you won't know whether she gets pulled up by the stewards until the end of the competition, if at all. BE & FEI produce a list every year though.

sonjafoers

Visit site
She clipped the upright going into Huntsmans & the horse fell. She skidded along the floor & he skidded and seemed to put his weight on her leg when he got up.

cptrayes

Visit site
Lauren Shannon's Zero Flight took his name seriously and refused at the lake.

Unsurprising, considering the strides towards the jump did not fit in any way - yet, the rider responded by heavy-handedly sawing his mouth before taking the reins in one hand to leave the other free for whipping the horse. It was a very ugly spectacle, made even clearer for the viewer's pleasure by the subsequent replay in slow motion.

In Denmark, such behaviour would have seen her eliminated and given a hefty telling-off. Maybe I'm culturally damaged in that way; I'm used to a mode of thinking that does not tolerate punishment, and certainly not punishment for an error that belonged to the one on top.

Mondy I have looked up your profile and see you are a dressage rider. I don't disagree that such riding is unfair on the horse and unnattractive to the viewer, but I wonder if you are at all aware of the level of adrenaline coursing through a rider's veins as they ride a big cross country course? I only did Novice, but fixed timber courses up to 1.10 high and 2.4m wide with heart-stopping drops, turns, steps, and bounces had me high as a kite before we even got out of the start box.

It is very easy for us to sit in our chairs and criticise. When you are out there on the course, you are on a different planet, and behaviour that you can see in retrospect is not desireable is, in my opinion, unavoidable from time to time at that level of competition. It is, after all, a competition and getting back to the fence quickly and getting over it could make the difference between being placed and not being placed. Provided the horse shows no damage, I do not believe she should be punished for competitive riding in the heat of the moment.

Last edited:

Sarah Sum1

Visit site
I could have sworn she actually patted the horse to calm it down after the refusal, then promptly wacked it on the bum. Which was a tad confusing. But could have been my eyes :D

I have seen worse displays of bad horsemanship, mostly at my local riding club :rolleyes: But agree she was a tad over the top, but as cptrayes say's, she is probably full of adrenilin and only thing on her mind was getting over the jump.

I am sure if the officials think she was in the wrong, she will be spoken to.

kit279

Visit site
I shall go against the grain here - I thought the horse looked like he knew he had stopped and she tried to calm him down first then gave him a smack to remind him to make more effort the second time round. What would you rather, that she patted him and then he crawled into the fence without impulsion and fell? Better a smack first in that situation.

[59668]

Visit site
I thought that from the horses point of view the smack she gave it won't make sense. She pulled him up. And then smacked him. Horses think in the moment. So the horse was smacked for stopping. Which is what she asked him to do.

sonjafoers

Visit site
She looked to me like she took a bit of time to let them both get their heads before continuing. Rather that than act in the heat of the moment and make a terrible mistake.

teagreen

Visit site
Well I wish to be obnoxious and say this is just like racing, yet without the complaints. I've only watched it on and off and have seen an extremely lame horse early doors having hit its stifle, one girl refuse near the lake then decide the best plan was to saw her horses mouth (strong bit, too) then whack it and I watched one horse fall, look exhausted and then recieve more water than Ballabriggs did whilst looking tired and shakey. Oh, and a women get taken off with her leg in a splint.

I'm not against eventing in any way shape or form - but where's the difference between what I'm watching now and racing?

Over2You certainly won't be happy (or, going by her username, will she?) at all these exhausted looking horses 'in the name of sport' :p

kit279

Visit site
I thought that from the horses point of view the smack she gave it won't make sense. She pulled him up. And then smacked him. Horses think in the moment. So the horse was smacked for stopping. Which is what she asked him to do.

No, I disagree. The horse wasn't smacked for stopping. He was smacked to remind him to jump the second time round.

Sarah Sum1

Visit site
One thing I know for sure, I certainly would never be brave enough to ride around Badminton, even if I was talented enough. I would have a heart attack.

Good luck to them! :)

Flibble

www.annamason-art.co.uk
I shall go against the grain here - I thought the horse looked like he knew he had stopped and she tried to calm him down first then gave him a smack to remind him to make more effort the second time round. What would you rather, that she patted him and then he crawled into the fence without impulsion and fell? Better a smack first in that situation.

I agree there seem to be quite a few people who miss the point.

JoG

Visit site
I'm with kit on this.....IMHO she calmed the horse after he appeared wound up by the stop, then gave him a quick slap as a bit of a "come on wake up lets do this"

Megan_T

Visit site
They all have balls of steel in my opinion.

Must be a nasty fall at the sunken road for Elizabeth Power to have caused such a long delay. Hope horse and rider are both okay..... always worrying.

When the BBC stop commentary as well, you know it's bad.

eventergirl87

Visit site

completely agree.... her riding up to and after the lake was very good imo

very easy to throw stones sat here having never don't anything of that caliber.... I've seen worse riding... much worse by some so called professionals at lower level events.

TarrSteps

Visit site
Tbf, you won't know whether she gets pulled up by the stewards until the end of the competition, if at all. BE & FEI produce a list every year though.

The list makes interesting reading - far more people get called on various things than people seem to think. Quite often it doesn't "make the news" when people get a fine or a suspension unless it's a very high profile case/competition. I'll be curious to see what the Swiss rider gets.

Flibble

www.annamason-art.co.uk
Interestingly I forgot to make a note but I was impressed by the riding position of several of the young riders particularly a secure lower leg I would kill for as I have windmills at the end of my knees.

Janah

Visit site
Back in business. Elizabeth taken to Frenchay Hospital, she is conscious. Nothing about her horse.

Jane

[59668]

Visit site
No, I disagree. The horse wasn't smacked for stopping. He was smacked to remind him to jump the second time round.

Lol yeah I know. But from the horses point of view he was smacked for stopping. Horses don't think ahead like that. How would he have known the smack was to remind him to jump next time!