People who ride horses into the ground
people who neglect
people who breed irresponsibly
over use of not needed gadgets
bad riders
The list could go on and on and on.....

Equilibrium Ireland

Visit site
GS, I'm sure it's not nice being told that. I use Polar Skye as an example. Her horse got kicked, joint fluid coming out, vet wasn't an option.

More what I was getting at is a horse ridden 10 times a year. Lives in 4 shoes because "she's not cheap". I'm assuming that's a jab at me as Im the only one else here and some of mine are bare and all bare behind. Going to get said horse xrayed because he still has a hitch behind after all the chiro and osteo. The horse is just a real bad mover with bad conformation and no matter what they do or don't find it's not going to make a difference to his "performance career". And why the vet she works for hasn't tried giving her lessons on conformation is beyond me. Mentions how money is no object at any opportunity. Slightly different version to reality but whatever. And it's all that and the expensive this and that her horse needs and is going to get and yet he gets a simple cut she doesn't notice that we mention and we get that's nothing. Woops quite swelled and yucky now cue antibiotics all of which could have been avoided had we not been dreaming of hock exrays.

Terri

Tobiano

Visit site
oo what fun being allowed to be judgemental!

so my pet hates are...

people who are judgemental most of the time
people who interfere with other peoples horses, especially hitting them!
inconsiderate people. Who leave gates open, lights on, borrow stuff and ruin it, use the last bale of hay/shavings/bit of hot water
most adverts for horses - overbent/ jumped too much too young/ ridden badly/ 'not enough time to fulfil his potential' etc etc etc
indiscriminate breeding especially from mares who are too naughty to be ridden
people who don't realise how lucky they are and blame everyone else for their problems

Centauress

Visit site
People who buy horses as the natural progression from being at a riding school for a year or so, with nothing more than a basic ability to stay on the horse, and some concept of "mucking out"

Buying a horse based on your abilities is a very sensbile thing to do, but if you don't know what a nose band's purpose is, are not sure how many rugs to put on without consulting the forum and cannot identify even the most basic problems a horse may suffer from - don't buy a horse.

Sorry But We ALL Had to Start Somewhere....

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
Sorry But We ALL Had to Start Somewhere....

And for many of us it was acquiring knowledge before a horse. If you don't know the basics may I recommend the Pony Club Manual of Horsemanship

^^^ btw for those who are watching for my "off" posts, that's a helpful suggestion and one that many people would do well to take up:)

flitz02

Visit site
People who try to sell on sick,injured or elderly horses/ponies ......makes my blood boil....why cant they just have the balls to do the decent thing & PTS!

dressedkez

Visit site
Some of us occasionally get called judgemental when we comment on some topics that are regularly discussed. Whilst I maintain that horse welfare is the reason for virtually all of my arguments, I admit that there are one or two topics on which I am judgemental, but I think, justifiably so. My own bugbears relating to horses are:

Keeping horses alone (I don't mean individual turnout here).
People who are too heavy to ride their horses (but they ride them anyway).
Allowing horses to drop too much weight in winter (as a lazy way to counter the summer gorging, or at least using this as an excuse :rolleyes:)
Over feeding on starchy hard feed
Allowing horses to get fat.

So what are yours?

You seem a bit 'fattist' to me - but then you don't want them too fat, too thin, or fat people riding fat or thin horses - tell me do you read the Guardian? Or maybe the Daily mail? Oh dear have just lapsed into judgemental mode, sterio-typing and all those horrid cliches myself.....
I have no personal hates per se - as the older I get, I suppose a little wiser, and a little more inclusive of others ideas, attitudes and personal circumstances - I do HATE Pirelli (whoops, that was a bit of latent tourettes going on there.........) If people want to wave ropes and stuff at their horses, fine by me....does not affect me, why should I worry? If I saw a starving pony down the road - I might chuck it a bale of hay (whilst I tried to find out a bit about the back story) before I called the RSPCA. If I saw a small pony being ridden by a large rider, I might engage them in conversation to find out what was going on, before I called the 'fat police' If I saw someone riding out in Bling / Pink / High Viz - I would simply don my sun glasses and smile broadly.
H&H forum is great because there are so many people posting from so many different view points - and I am finding myself becoming a little more mature (sometimes) to how I respond these days - rather than going all guns blazing, 'you are doing what? - and have you read the PC manual of 1972 that said......(possibly quite rightly, don't ever underestimate said bible....) but we all do things differently these days - lecture over, but moral of the tale (unless human and of course to a lessor extent equine life is at stake) possibly live and let live a bit?

Centauress

Visit site
And for many of us it was acquiring knowledge before a horse. If you don't know the basics may I recommend the Pony Club Manual of Horsemanship

^^^ btw for those who are watching for my "off" posts, that's a helpful suggestion and one that many people would do well to take up:)

OK So it's NOT OK to Own a Pony or Horse While Learning to Ride Then????? A Bit of a Smackdown to 1st Timers Don't You Think?

I Know Someone Who was Sold an Old Schoolmaster Because the Riding School was Closeing But She STILL Had Leasons at Another With said ShoolMaster. She Then Went on to Quite High Leavels before Giving it Up So What is Wrong With doing That????

Last edited:

dressedkez

Visit site
OK So it's NOT OK to Own a Pony or Horse While Learning to Ride????? A Bit of a Smackdown to 1st Timers Don't You Think?

I Know Someone Who was Sold an Old Schoolmaster Because the Riding School was Closeing But She STILL Had Leasons at Another With said ShoolMaster. She Then Went on to Quite High Leavels before Giving it Up So What is Wrong With doing That????

I think that in Jills Gymkhana (my other bible, after the 1970's editon of the PC Manual) it said that horse owners are always learning - and don't we just - and H&H Forum often adds to that learning as well.......

Flame_

Visit site
At the risk of daring to give my opinion again :eek: :mad: :p ...

I think everybody's just being arsey because of all the snow and everything being cancelled. :( Once everyone's busy again they won't care about what everyone else is doing enough to be judgmental about it. :cool:

Aarrghimpossiblepony

Visit site
I think that in Jills Gymkhana (my other bible, after the 1970's editon of the PC Manual) it said that horse owners are always learning - and don't we just - and H&H Forum often adds to that learning as well.......

Jill got Black Boy before she could ride properly and look at how well she did.

And she learnt not to be judgemental when she helped that young scruffy girl who rescued the horses and kept them in the woods.

You can't go far wrong if you stick with Jill.:D

BigBuck's

Visit site
There are things that annoy me, things that upset me and things that I choose to do differently, but there are only a few things that make me cast (private) judgement:

1. People who continue with a course of action (or inaction) which is having an unequivocal detrimental effect on their horse's welfare despite having had the consequence of their actions and/or a more humane alternative pointed out to them

2. Riding without a hat

3. People who sell on/give away an elderly horse who has so many medical conditions/limitations on what he can do that the chance of finding a truly suitable end-of-days home for him is on a par with winning the Euromillions, purely because they "can't bring themselves" to make the kindest decision because "they love him so much"

4. People who stick doggedly to a belief (or more accurately a prejudice, in many cases) in the face of unequivocal evidence to the contrary.

Caol Ila

Visit site
I have views on many things, but I can accept that everyone does things differently, and I reserve my shameless judgement for people who's actions and methods have a detrimental affect on the mental and physical well-being of the horse and who have no intentions of improving their riding and educating themselves. At one extreme, of course, is unashamed cruelty, i.e. Tennessee Walking Horse soring and stuff of that nature. But I can't help but judge the average ammy owner, who loves their horse, who has it as a pet, who gives him all the kisses, cuddles, and treats in the world, but who even in their profound kindness and love, does stuff like ride in a heavy, restrictive contact with no releases when the horse tries to soften, applies pressure but no (or bewildering and poorly timed) releases, or who gives conflicting, confusing aids and then, when the horse doesn't respond in the way they had hoped, says, "He's acting out 'cause he doesn't want to work today."

skint1

Visit site
At the risk of daring to give my opinion again :eek: :mad: :p ...

I think everybody's just being arsey because of all the snow and everything being cancelled. :( Once everyone's busy again they won't care about what everyone else is doing enough to be judgmental about it. :cool:

I think you're exactly right Flame!

diamonddogs

Visit site
Come on people, get a grip - this is meant to be a light-hearted thread, isn't it?

I'm sure most of who have commented here wouldn't dream of voicing their judgements IRL (unless it's a welfare issue, obviously).

Which brings me neatly to other bugbears of mine - people who make negative comments on threads that don't interest them (last time I looked HHO didn't make me read EVERY thread), and people who feel qualified to comment on threads without reading them through first.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Come on people, get a grip - this is meant to be a light-hearted thread, isn't it?

I'm sure most of who have commented here wouldn't dream of voicing their judgements IRL (unless it's a welfare issue, obviously).

Which brings me neatly to other bugbears of mine - people who make negative comments on threads that don't interest them (last time I looked HHO didn't make me read EVERY thread), and people who feel qualified to comment on threads without reading them through first.

Good one!

indie999

Visit site
It is but I can't seem to help myself logging in and checking on posts!!! Crrrazyyyy!!!!

Not much else to do while I await impending new series of Game of Thrones...

yep its infectious and I am now doing it tooooo. Is there a cure? Can anyone help me?

sandi_84

Visit site
people who tell you your horse is going to die!

Unless I'm not understanding correctly I think you might be talking about the people who posted on your thread and again no one told you your horse would die, just that it was ridiculous that she didn't get ((((((((((forage)))))))))))) except for a haynet when you took her in and that it would harm her and was the reason for her rapid weight loss over the last 10 days (as you yourself said in your first post!) :rolleyes:

blacksabbeth

Visit site
Riders who are over horsed,dont know why but it drives me crazy ...as if someone is saying look at my shogun its big ay to all there friends,then there other friend pulls up and says sod your shogun look at my hummer when clearly they cant drive the blasted thing!Sorry people its just bugs me.

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
Ha ha showaddy1, well said!
99% of the time I read a post and think "Here we go, another "expert" whilst knowing full well there are many ways to keep horses and not just their way..
There is usually one on every DIY yard in the country, fussing about, hinting to everyone else their methods/feeding/regime/tack/choice of instructor/trailer/insurer or lack of is all wrong.. They are the ones their YO grits their teeth about and walks off without commenting.
I think the likes of Wagtail need to remember one simple thing, unless actual pain or harm is being caused it's none of their damn business how anyone else enjoys owning their horse.
There are a myriad of reasons everything isn't done to perfection, money, lack of experience, own preference etc, and sadly the attitude of those being judgemental is probably the cause of the most unhappiness in the equine owner.
You never stop learning with horses, and the biggest education is that no-one knows the lot.
I certainly don't, but silly pathetically self congratulatory threads like this started out as are the reason I rarely ever read HH much these days. "Oh aren't I a wonderful horse owner, look I can tell when someone is too fat for their horse, when their horse is in perfect condition, oh aren't I clever being able to look down on everyone else from this knowledgeable height"...
Do me a favour, put your brain in gear before you type utterly pointless posts again..