Sheepskin Half Pads - How?

KJJ

Visit site
Ok guys... as some of you know Jaggles has been off work since March due to various issues... one being a sore back... however through a combination of shoeing and chiropractic treatment he is bouncing about like a spring chicken again..

I have had my saddle checked and reflocked.. however have been advised to use a sheepskin half pad...

SO I have purchased a LOVELY Stephens half pad... and now have a question...

How do you guys wear yours?

Over a saddle cloth?

On it's own?

Really not sure whats best... as I thought the whole idea of sheepskin was that it let the skin breath and allow airflow ... so to me it seems silly to stick a saddle cloth under.. however not sure if I should!?

Help me please
smile.gif

KJJ

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
No saddle cloth or if you do decide to use one to keep your saddle clean, use a very thin cotton one!

P x

[/ QUOTE ]Tis just the saddle flaps I am thinking about as they will be in direct contact with his bod... which I know isn't a problem but he does sweat on these areas... so don't want it to be uncomfy for him...

Any idea where I can get a cotton one? All mine tend to have an element of syntheticness!?!
crazy.gif

KJJ

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Cottage craft do some 100% cotton ones I think, they are only about 10 quid I think.

P x

[/ QUOTE ]Cool. Thanks chick. x

KJJ

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
The 'fashion' here, because everyone seems to have one (and soon I will too!!
grin.gif
) is to put them over a saddle cloth but since they're washable (or the ones I've seen are) I suppose it's a matter of personal preference!
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]LOL - It's the 'fashion' here too... however it does change the way your saddle fits.. hence my saddler advising to wear one til Jags back muscles build up again.... as I need to raise my saddle slightly.

I've always wanted one but saddle was made to measure Jags so didn't require one until now!!!

sally2008

Visit site
Would it not be best to ring your saddler and see what he says? Having just seen him he might have a very definate idea of whether he wants it used with a pad or not.

KJJ

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Would it not be best to ring your saddler and see what he says? Having just seen him he might have a very definate idea of whether he wants it used with a pad or not.

[/ QUOTE ]Well I asked him at the time and he was very unclear and said see how it goes...

he say he may not need the pad.. but after riding on Friday and lastnight - I feel he does as the saddle still sits pretty low.

Hmmmmm

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
When PF was skinny and the saddle was sitting too low, I used a prolite gel numnah that was sort of split down the middle so it lifted the saddle but didn't put any pressure on her spine. I've now got a fluffy faux-sheepskin one that does the job fine
smile.gif

Benjamin

www.freewebs.com
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]Well I asked him at the time and he was very unclear and said see how it goes...

he say he may not need the pad.. but after riding on Friday and lastnight - I feel he does as the saddle still sits pretty low.

Hmmmmm

[/ QUOTE ]

It may be better to get a gel pad (like the one PF describes) instead of the sheepskin as they make everything that bit tighter if you get what I mean, the gel thingy would just raise it.
I only use the sheepskin on Benj because nothing else fits my saddle
crazy.gif

P x

KJJ

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
When PF was skinny and the saddle was sitting too low, I used a prolite gel numnah that was sort of split down the middle so it lifted the saddle but didn't put any pressure on her spine. I've now got a fluffy faux-sheepskin one that does the job fine
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
grin.gif

KJJ

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
It may be better to get a gel pad (like the one PF describes) instead of the sheepskin as they make everything that bit tighter if you get what I mean, the gel thingy would just raise it.
I only use the sheepskin on Benj because nothing else fits my saddle
crazy.gif

P x

[/ QUOTE ]No no hun he specifically suggested the sheepskin half pad. Hence why I bought it!!
grin.gif

sally2008

Visit site
As you say, hmmmmm.......

Personally, as I presume you normally ride with a cloth, I'd carry on using that and put the sheepskin pad between that and the saddle and see how it goes.

KJJ

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
As you say, hmmmmm.......

Personally, as I presume you normally ride with a cloth, I'd carry on using that and put the sheepskin pad between that and the saddle and see how it goes.

[/ QUOTE ]I do normally ride in a cloth or numnah... so will place between the two. (saddle and pad).

Will see how it goes.

Ta

K xx

KJJ

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I have a stephens sheepskin half pad too and use it by itself, works fine without any unnecessary bulk.

[/ QUOTE ]Does your saddle not get minging and dirty?

KJJ

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Well I justified it by keeping the half pad as a spare for when the numnah was being washed!

[/ QUOTE ]LOL fair point.. will see how I get on with the 2. Ta x

Benjamin

www.freewebs.com
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I initially had a half pad for Sprite, but found it a pain using a cloth and the pad together, so I got one of these that does both jobs in one:

http://www.colemancroft.com/Details.cfm?ProdID=387

[/ QUOTE ]Yeah but I've just spent £60 on a lovely half pad!! LOL!!

Just went and puchased a black deluxe cotton saddle cloth.. will see how that works
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
60 quid
shocked.gif

WHere did you get it from????

P x

KJJ

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
60 quid
shocked.gif

WHere did you get it from????

P x

[/ QUOTE ]I got the Stephens half pad from Equestrian Clearance for £60 and the Cottage Craft Deluxe Cotton Saddle cloth from Ifield Park for £14..

Why?

S_N

Visit site
Hun - for some reason it is fashion to put them over the saddlecloth/numnah, when in fact it should be the other way around! How can the sheepskin work properly on the back if there is a layer of cotton between them?

Laafet

adventuresinblackandwhite.co.uk
Can someone explain this fashion to me - I see so many horses around here with huge amounts padding between them and the saddle. Surely if your saddle fits (although I can see the reason for the use of one in OP) then you dont need huge amounts of padding and how the hell can you feel the horse under you.