She's critically ill and I'm scared stiff!!

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Just found this thread, I am so sorry. There is nothing worse than when they are so ill that you don't know which way it will go. Sending love and will check in later to see how she is doing. X

Ceriann

Visit site
It's so awful when they're so poorly - I really feel for you and for your mare. Everything crossed she pulls through x

cblover

Visit site
I'm back from my last visit. She's still down but totally settled and calm. No sweating just the dried on stuff. No shaking or any distress....in fact if you just popped over the stable door you'd just think she was having a quick kip.

I know it's not that simple though....the telling time is when she tries to get up. I just hope she's refuelled enough and got enough strength to get up. I'm praying it's a good sign that she's calm, still and eating hay. Sometimes she falls flat out and looks peacefully asleep, next time she's chewing hay.

But god it's good to see her without such fear in her eyes....it might be short lived but I'm clinging on to that hope.

Would you be worried that she was still sitting down? It's been about 4 hrs now.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
I'm back from my last visit. She's still down but totally settled and calm. No sweating just the dried on stuff. No shaking or any distress....in fact if you just popped over the stable door you'd just think she was having a quick kip.

I know it's not that simple though....the telling time is when she tries to get up. I just hope she's refuelled enough and got enough strength to get up. I'm praying it's a good sign that she's calm, still and eating hay. Sometimes she falls flat out and looks peacefully asleep, next time she's chewing hay.

But god it's good to see her without such fear in her eyes....it might be short lived but I'm clinging on to that hope.

Would you be worried that she was still sitting down? It's been about 4 hrs now.

Well ty for updating us - I know she is not out the woods yet but let's look on the bright side
no sweating or shaking that must be something to hold onto.

You say she is still down?? I presume she has been up and moved and then got down again as lying down on the same spot will not do her good, I would be inclined to call my vet and ask them if you should try get her up to hopefully change and lie on the other side, or worst comes, your vet might suggest with help you flip her over.

I had to do this with my mare when she had this gut problem and we had to flip her over as she had been down way to long on one side and risked damage to internal organs.

She sounds like a sensible girl and knows while she is crook she needs to rest and eat and drink. Are you going to check her through the night??? I would tend to check her every hour then make it two hours and set alarm clock just for tonight

suffice to say, make she she can get to water like offer her some

Last edited:

LD&S

Visit site
I'm so sorry to hear how poorly your girlie is, hopefully she is still down purely because she is so tired. I hope tomorrow brings you better news but it was nice to read the fear had gone from her eyes, I shall be keeping everything crossed for you.

Caol Ila

Visit site
So sorry to read this. *hugs*

As far as her lying down goes, what does your vet think?

I would be very worried about a horse who has been lying down for four hours (or more). That can start to affect their circulation.

MDB

Visit site
I am so pleased she seems calmer. I think she has probably been down for that long cos she is absolutely exhausted. Horses need to lie down to sleep properly and if she has not been down for four days she must have been on the brink. However, I would speak to your vet. Maybe he will suggest getting her up to stretch and move for a short while and then she can rest again?

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site

Is she sitting down or lying down?

I think all you can do is monitor her through the night (are you camping in her stable over night or is she at home for 20 min checks)?

+++++ healing vibes.

Orca

Visit site
I am so pleased she seems calmer. I think she has probably been down for that long cos she is absolutely exhausted. Horses need to lie down to sleep properly and if she has not been down for four days she must have been on the brink. However, I would speak to your vet. Maybe he will suggest getting her up to stretch and move for a short while and then she can rest again?

OP mentioned EHV in their first post, then hydrocephalus. EHV1/ Neurological Equine Herpes Virus/ Equine Herpes Myeloencephalopathy, causes paralysis. If it is this, it's possible that she can't get up at this point. OP, I'd keep in close contact with your vet for advice. Has she been quarantined? Still keeping everything crossed for you both x

crabbymare

Visit site
so sorry to hear this. ditto the others that are saying to monitor how long she is down in the same position. but its likely she will be down a bit longer than normal with what she has been through. hopefully she will feel better after eating a bit and having a rest and will get up ok for you. fingers crossed she has come through the worst of it and starts improving now for you

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
OP my late livery JJ as per this thread had herpes 5 virus, he lost weight but did not shake or sweat but did lie down and awful lot. We had to take him to RVC and he was on steroids and something else (owner administered).

Sadly for him his lungs ended up being so hard and damaged there was no hope.

As your mare is still down, if it were me I would check with the vet and see if they are happy for her to stay down for the night. I also would be bedding down in the stable if I was not that close (I have cctv so can watch in bed) or bedding down near by so I could do random checks.

Also check with the vet if you can give her a small mash or equivalent to tempt her to eat.

Last edited:

marotelle

Visit site
My thoughts are with you,one, of my best mares came down with Something similar; she was only 18 months, my vet wanted me to PTS,I simply could not accept it, she went down and we had to hawl her up every three hours, its important for her circulation.At times we wondered if she had damaged her pelvis in her attemps to stand,but after three very long days, she got up by herself;she is now 17 and still going strongly.Tests later revealed she had meningitus.
Keep strong,we are all thinking of you.

Jim bob

Visit site
Just read all 11 pages of this! Keep fighting lovely. I would call the vet, but that's me personally. Thinking of you lovely. Shall be checking this often. *Hugs!*

Britestar

Visit site
Re the lying down, when our pony was extremely ill with atypical myopathy, then toxic laminitis we were told to leave him lying, which he did for up to 6 hours at a time. In fact he was given injections every 8 hours to encourage him to stay off his feet. He came to no harm, but watching him trying to get up after that amount of time was painful.

jojo5

Visit site
So sorry to hear this and thinking of you . Certainly cannot do any harm to call the vet to ask advice re her being down during the night for a length of time - she will need to drink, and is she a mare who will wee/poo whilst lying down?

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
Only just seen this thread.
I'm so sorry your beautiful girl is poorly, you will both be in my thoughts. Your last post does sound as though she is more settled, I'd definitely call the vet about 4 hours lay down though x

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
Oh my. Sending huge amounts of healing vibes and hugs. What a worrying time for you.

I'd perhaps give the vet a call if she has been down without evidence of getting up and back down again in 4 hrs.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I think you have had many people checking in during the night, I guess you are too busy sitting with her to reply, but know we are all with you in spirit.

Fingers and toes crossed for good news. X