Shire.

scrat

Visit site
I think our shire gelding was about 16.2 at 18 months old. Hes 5 now and 18.2. I don't think he's going to get taller but he has a lot of filling out to do. He is broken to ride and will hopefully be shown under saddle next year. Shoeing a horse with feet that size can be eye watering too, anything from £110 to £160 for a set.

Snowfilly

Visit site
I’ve seen a few heavy yearlings that size or similar, they normally make the 18.2 mark. Don’t be tempted to over feed, let them grow slow and gangly and probably don’t bother taking them in the show ring because a lot of the judges like them pig fat and looking adult at three and then they’re buggered at ten.

I had a shire for a while, he was 17.2 and an 18.3 Clyde for many years. You get used to the size eventually if not the farrier bills!

Lex2009

Visit site
Pure breed shires are massive most of them are 18 hands or 19 hands. The shires that are 16 hands are most likely to be mixed with other breeds of horses so they are not traditional shires.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
Pure breed shires are massive most of them are 18 hands or 19 hands. The shires that are 16 hands are most likely to be mixed with other breeds of horses so they are not traditional shires.
I don't really agree with this. When they were primarily farm work horses they weren't so tall. Shorter and stockier would pull better. Like so many other breeds it's showing that has led to the taller leggier ones. At the farm I was at they had a lot of old photos and the Shires were a different shape to modern ones. They were still massive but more compact.

Tinajenko86

Visit site
I’ve seen a few heavy yearlings that size or similar, they normally make the 18.2 mark. Don’t be tempted to over feed, let them grow slow and gangly and probably don’t bother taking them in the show ring because a lot of the judges like them pig fat and looking adult at three and then they’re buggered at ten.

I had a shire for a while, he was 17.2 and an 18.3 Clyde for many years. You get used to the size eventually if not the farrier bills!
Thank you, yes the vet said the same to be careful with feeding as it can put to much weight on them fast, luckily she’s only on grass at the moment and the odd feed of Suregrow,

Snowfilly

Visit site
No, the modern heavy drafts are much taller and leggier than the old working strains. 16.2 used to be pretty acceptable for a shire mare, and they were shorter legged and deeper bodied.

Old fashioned working shires are a rare type nowadays and not always registered because it’s a rare judge that will place one. Modern shires aren’t as powerful in harness but generally move nicer.

Look at some older pics and you’ll get an idea of how the breed’s changed.

Some working heavy owners prefer to get European breeds now as they’re not so fashionable and haven’t been altered so much. There’s a lot of french and Belgian breeds doing horse logging over here.

abbijay

Visit site
How is she bred? Very pretty!
I have a pure shire on loan to me for dressage and a pure clydesdale who is now retired. He is about 17.2hh but built like a brick outhouse, he did breed a few foals as a youngster but is now thankfully gelded.

SEL

Visit site
Dare I ask how much shoes are compared to say a warmblood or TB? Their feet look massive!

£200 full set - the Shire at ours was done yesterday!

OP - the one at ours who is in his teens and 18.2 was around 16h as a youngster as well apparently.

No, the modern heavy drafts are much taller and leggier than the old working strains. 16.2 used to be pretty acceptable for a shire mare, and they were shorter legged and deeper bodied.

My Ardennes is old fashioned breeding lines and is just over 14.2 - nowadays most of them are being bred taller too. He's very short legged and deep bodied ;)

abbijay

Visit site
Dare I ask how much shoes are compared to say a warmblood or TB? Their feet look massive!
I pay £125 a set with road studs in behind. Mine are incredibly well behaved to shoe (so much so my farrier has taken one of them on retirement livery) and are shod with handmade ridden shoes not show shoes.
I've just taken the shire's hinds off so he's not only £80 every 8 weeks.

mini_b

Visit site
Dear god, that’s terrifying!

i toy with the idea of another big(ger as current is 17hh...) horse, a traditional draught like a Percheron or shire etc.
.... then I remember you can’t buy anything off the peg, they cost a fortune to shoe and they eat like the tiger who came to tea ?

abbijay

Visit site
i toy with the idea of another big(ger as current is 17hh...) horse, a traditional draught like a Percheron or shire etc.
.... then I remember you can’t buy anything off the peg, they cost a fortune to shoe and they eat like the tiger who came to tea ?
The new boy is a fat git who lives on grass, weighed haylage in winter and a handful of chaff when everything else is fed. Now he's only shod in front he's comparable to most light horses shod all round.
And not being able to buy stuff off the peg is an advantage - i never have a tack-cident! (walking into a tack shop and accidentally leaving with armfuls of stuff)
the downside is when it's wormer time - I have to befriend whoever owns the smallest pony on the yard to get rest of their tube.

Snowfilly

Visit site
The new boy is a fat git who lives on grass, weighed haylage in winter and a handful of chaff when everything else is fed. Now he's only shod in front he's comparable to most light horses shod all round.
And not being able to buy stuff off the peg is an advantage - i never have a tack-cident! (walking into a tack shop and accidentally leaving with armfuls of stuff)
the downside is when it's wormer time - I have to befriend whoever owns the smallest pony on the yard to get rest of their tube.

Yes, I could never just accidentally buy something for the Clyde! He kept me on the straight and narrow tack wise. He may have had a few more plaiting sets than any one horse needed though - he had a light and dark blue set, our yard colours, a Stewart clan tartan set for his breeder’s name, and a traditional Clyde raffia set which given he could only wear one at a show was a bit pointless...I had a multi coloured Christmas set with snowflakes on order when I lost him.

But it does cure you of buying saddle pads.

Tinajenko86

Visit site
I have a pure shire on loan to me for dressage and a pure clydesdale who is now retired. He is about 17.2hh but built like a brick outhouse, he did breed a few foals as a youngster but is now thankfully gelded.
I have a pure shire on loan to me for dressage and a pure clydesdale who is now retired. He is about 17.2hh but built like a brick outhouse, he did breed a few foals as a youngster but is now thankfully gelded.[/QUOTE
Oh wow, I love Clydesdale’s as well we were stuck on shire/Clydesdale,
their a lovely kind breed. When you say how is she Breed, Do you mean who from?

Tinajenko86

Visit site
I thought so but thought I’d check ? she’s Grandaughter of Lockley topsman and Boothay Richards Great grandaughter of Ddrydwy Cotebrook king and Ithersay Black Knight,