Shires Westropp Knee Brushing Boots

Zuzzie

Visit site
For those of you who use these boots, you might like to know that they are being discontinued. Such a shame as they are an absolute life saver for any horse that trips. Shires say they are reducing their product lines.

applecart14

Visit site
What???? That is rubbish. They are a brilliant idea, and have saved my horse from a kick which would no doubt have shattered his knee. I wear them every time I hack out, and they are great to canter and jump in also (if you are able to do such things on your hacks).

What a shame Shires are discontinuing. I will order some quickly as mine are getting old! Thanks for letting me know.

Last edited:

DreamingIsBelieving

Yorkshire, but my heart lies in Scotland!
Visit site
Nooo! So disappointed to hear this. Have had my eye on these boots for ages and always planned to buy some as soon as I buy my first horse (which won't be for a few years yet as I'm wanting to finish uni first). Would snap up a pair now for safe keeping if only I knew what size my future horse will take!! Hopefully there will be some second hand ones bobbing around in a few years' time :(

Zuzzie

Visit site
Good luck with finding some - every website I go on they are out of stock. I ordered two pairs from two different sites and ended up with refunds because their websites were not up to date. I talked to Shires themselves who say they will not be selling them anymore. I told them a lot of riders will be really upset and disappointed.

Zuzzie

Visit site
Just googled them, not something I would use. I stick to the old fashioned knee boot/trav4l knee boot

Well, the old fashioned ones I used caused my horse to trip as they continually came loose and fell down to his fetlocks which is why these brushing knee boots were brilliant.

applecart14

Visit site
Yes they would never come off a horses leg and had brilliant protection. Two boots in one, smart looking, practical, lightweight, easy to wash in a washing machine, easy to dry, easy everything.

abbijay

Visit site
If you have an old pair and want a new pair I would speak to your local saddler about making you some. It won't cost as much as you might expect.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I thought they were a great idea but not so great practically for my horses - I found they twisted round eventually :( Shame they won't be available though, obviously they work well for some. I sold mine on ebay so worth a look there.

Tyssandi

Veteran
Visit site
Well, the old fashioned ones I used caused my horse to trip as they continually came loose and fell down to his fetlocks which is why these brushing knee boots were brilliant.

You must have bought the wrong size but I am talking about the leather ones you used to use for traveling. Correct size won't slip if fitted correctly with half - one ton of horse coming down on the road I want leather protection like shin pads.

Last edited:

AdorableAlice

Visit site
You must have bought the wrong size but I am talking about the leather ones you used to use for traveling. Correct size won't slip if fitted correctly with half - one ton of horse coming down on the road I want leather protection like shin pads.

I have two pairs of Jeffries kneeboots, leather and flannel with leather straps, both over 30 years old and both still going strong. Absolutely superb boots that have saved one horse from serious injury. The knee cap on the boots where damaged to half an inch depth, not a mark on the horse. To ensure a comfy and secure fit the top strap needs treating to get it soft and pliable.

Not cheap by any means but after 30 years service they have cost pence per day. I have not used any Westropp boots but I cannot see plastic protecting a horse like leather can.

http://www.ejeffries.co.uk/c/premium_protective-equipment

NOISYGIRL

Visit site
I have used these boots on my horse for years since a friends horse fell and damaged her knee really badly. I tried the separate knee boots and liked the sportabac ones, however one day one slipped down and I ended up upside down in a ditch as he stood on it and tripped.

I've cantered in the westropp ones and they don't move love love love them

My horse is retired now so I have 2 pairs of used ones to sell if anyone interested

NOISYGIRL

Visit site
I thought they were a great idea but not so great practically for my horses - I found they twisted round eventually :( Shame they won't be available though, obviously they work well for some. I sold mine on ebay so worth a look there.

That's a shame, mine never moved on 2+ hour hacks including trotting and cantering etc, the ones that did twist were the original ones they brought out were the hard shell ones, they were terrible at twisting

Tyssandi

Veteran
Visit site
I have two pairs of Jeffries kneeboots, leather and flannel with leather straps, both over 30 years old and both still going strong. Absolutely superb boots that have saved one horse from serious injury. The knee cap on the boots where damaged to half an inch depth, not a mark on the horse. To ensure a comfy and secure fit the top strap needs treating to get it soft and pliable.

Not cheap by any means but after 30 years service they have cost pence per day. I have not used any Westropp boots but I cannot see plastic protecting a horse like leather can.

http://www.ejeffries.co.uk/c/premium_protective-equipment

This is the type I have and like you had them 30 years or so http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Excel...373701?hash=item3ac05c3d85:g:kwwAAOSwo0JWJ3Ev

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/foru...1997-licences-help!!!&p=13452729#post13452729
and by the way update here

Beausmate

Visit site
Good luck with finding some - every website I go on they are out of stock. I ordered two pairs from two different sites and ended up with refunds because their websites were not up to date. I talked to Shires themselves who say they will not be selling them anymore. I told them a lot of riders will be really upset and disappointed.

http://www.westropphorseboots.com/store

I have a pair and I really don't like them much. They're a faff to put on, the bit where the boot overlaps is on my horse's tendon and I don't like the forward-facing straps because they catch on long grass and brush. Plus, they have a tendency to rotate. Although, I have seen the traditional type rotate around a leg too and damage to knees caused by over tightening. A lot of it depends on the horse's conformation and way of going too.

mumperry

Visit site
Ive just spent the last two days trying to buy some new pairs of these boots, so I couldn't believe it when I saw this post! Westropp are NOT out of stock - yet. You can buy them direct (westropphorseboots.co.uk) i thought they were owned by Shires, but they aren't and Mr & Mrs Westropp are a delight! The knee/brushing boots are currently being redesigned, and there is a 6 month lead time from their manufacturer. If you want some, buy direct from Westropp but you had better be quick, they have less than 30 pairs left! The good news is that they are around for the long term (which is not what Shires told me!)

Zuzzie

Visit site
Mumperry: Thanks for this. I had spoken directly to Shires and they told me they were not stocking these boots any more and when I queried if it was possible to buy direct from the manufacturer I was put on hold whilst they made enquiries. They came back and confirmed that no, they were being discontinued full stop. So thank you Shires for telling porkes! Thank goodness for Westropp!

Meadow

Visit site
Ive just spent the last two days trying to buy some new pairs of these boots, so I couldn't believe it when I saw this post! Westropp are NOT out of stock - yet. You can buy them direct (westropphorseboots.co.uk) i thought they were owned by Shires, but they aren't and Mr & Mrs Westropp are a delight! The knee/brushing boots are currently being redesigned, and there is a 6 month lead time from their manufacturer. If you want some, buy direct from Westropp but you had better be quick, they have less than 30 pairs left! The good news is that they are around for the long term (which is not what Shires told me!)

Been looking at buying these ready for when I start to take my youngster out on the road, and have found some places still stocking them. I may hold fire if I am correct in understanding the overall plan that they will be coming back newer, shinier and better designed?! :)