Shock diagnosis

Highmileagecob

Visit site
Following a fall on ice before Christmas, which resulted in a cracked radius, I was referred for a DEXA body scan to check the state of my bones. Criteria being that I am over 60, and have sustained a fracture. Shock, horror the result is that I have osteopenia, which is a thinning of bone that will result in osteoporosis if left untreated. I have always had an active, outdoor lifestyle, eat a properly balanced diet, kept my weight pretty constant, and generally do all the things that are recommended to keep bones healthy - lifting, carrying weight, stretching, load bearing, walking etc..
Apparently, small framed women with low bodyweight are more susceptible than larger frames as we are not under the same load bearing properties. You just can't win can you?

Goldie's mum

Visit site
Following a fall on ice before Christmas, which resulted in a cracked radius, I was referred for a DEXA body scan to check the state of my bones. Criteria being that I am over 60, and have sustained a fracture. Shock, horror the result is that I have osteopenia, which is a thinning of bone that will result in osteoporosis if left untreated. I have always had an active, outdoor lifestyle, eat a properly balanced diet, kept my weight pretty constant, and generally do all the things that are recommended to keep bones healthy - lifting, carrying weight, stretching, load bearing, walking etc..
Apparently, small framed women with low bodyweight are more susceptible than larger frames as we are not under the same load bearing properties. You just can't win can you?
Sorry you had a shock but better to know now & do something. This happened to my friend (fit but very slight 60 y.o.). She has joined a gym & is really enjoying weight lifting. She says all post-menopausal women should go to the gym. Her bones are much improved.

palterwell

Visit site
I’m like you, I’ve always had an active lifestyle and I’m small. I’m 61 and two years ago I had many visits to A & E with unbearable back pain. I was told at first that it was a slipped disc so I carried on riding as soon as I could . When the pain became unbearable again I was referred for an MRI scan for a suspected trapped nerve. After a long wait for the results I found out that I had fractured my spine in 5 places, you can imagine how shocked I was ! I was sent for a DEXA scan and the diagnosis was Osteoporosis. I’m now on teraparatide for 2 years and I’m spending hours at the gym. All this from lifting a large box and a heavy cat !

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
You are not on your own!
I am not a small framed woman and have lived an active lifestyle with horses and dogs but I was diagnosed with osteoporosis after my 3rd lower limb break in October 2020. I had to request the DEXA test, which has made me very cross, as my 1st break was 13 yrs before and a lot of trouble could have been saved if I had been offered the test then.

However, I am now taking a calcium supplement and alendronic acid, to help strengthen my bones. My GP told me not to stop riding but advised not jumping.

Highmileagecob

Visit site
Yeah, I would rather know, and do something about it, than pretend it isn't happening. The recommended exercises are things I do on a daily basis; if lifting and walking have not prevented this happening, I can't see much benefit on relying on exercise to hold it in check. It looks like I will have to go down the medication route, although some of the side effects are distinctly unpleasant. Ha, now the next challenge is to get an appointment with my GP.....

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Yeah, I would rather know, and do something about it, than pretend it isn't happening. The recommended exercises are things I do on a daily basis; if lifting and walking have not prevented this happening, I can't see much benefit on relying on exercise to hold it in check. It looks like I will have to go down the medication route, although some of the side effects are distinctly unpleasant. Ha, now the next challenge is to get an appointment with my GP.....

My friend who has osteopenia, simply takes a calcium/VitD supplement.
I take alendronic acid and after 2 yrs have had to start taking an antacid. I only take it once per week. A relative who is a retired dentist just advised me to tell my dentist and has been prescribed alendronic acid herself to protect her bones because she was prescribed long-term steroids. She wasn't unduly concerned.

HeresHoping

Visit site
I'm so sorry. It is probably a big shock. Can I recommend you read Next Level? It's aimed at athletes but the advice is applicable. The answer is in lifting heavy and supplements. There's a FB group associated with the book called Hit Play Not Pause which can at times astound me as to the ignorance surrounding HRT on one level; but at the same time is invaluable for all the advice on ailments as we age.

Rumtytum

Have Marmite, will travel
Visit site
I’m 68, and knowing that slender build and light weight is a risk I decided to have a Dexa scan privately (being in and out of this country would make an NHS appointment difficult).
Results are (surprisingly) fine - probably due to decades of running, weight training and HRT - but I’m going to start calcium and retaking vitamin D as I feel, rightly or wrongly, it’s only a matter of time before osteoporosis rears its ugly head.

cold_feet

Visit site
My friend who has osteopenia, simply takes a calcium/VitD supplement.
I take alendronic acid and after 2 yrs have had to start taking an antacid. I only take it once per week. A relative who is a retired dentist just advised me to tell my dentist and has been prescribed alendronic acid herself to protect her bones because she was prescribed long-term steroids. She wasn't unduly concerned.
This was one of the side effects I was warned of by my GP. I already have dental problems, so consulted my dentist who was not keen on alendronic acid. It depends on the severity of your osteopenia whether this would be right for you.
ETA as I understand it alendronic acid can effect tooth enamel and so worsen gum disease.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
This was one of the side effects I was warned of by my GP. I already have dental problems, so consulted my dentist who was not keen on alendronic acid. It depends on the severity of your osteopenia whether this would be right for you.
ETA as I understand it alendronic acid can effect tooth enamel and so worsen gum disease.
My (new) GP was very keen for me to continue to take the AA, saying that there is plenty more he can do if the weekly antacid isn't enough. He described AA as very effective.

southerncomfort

Visit site
I'm sorry you've had this diagnosis.

As a small, lightweight woman I'm so glad you've posted this. Looks like I've got a bit of time to try and prevent it (turn 50 soon).

I've recently started running again. I hate lifting weights but will definitely start (you'd think all the carrying of water, hay, straw, tack etc would be enough!!).

I take vitamin D but think I'll switch to the one with added calcium.

Skips11

Visit site
I am qualified as a personal trainer (I don’t work as one now but did the studying!), and proper weight training has been proven to increase bone density and help with all of the above, including the effects of the menopause.
The key is progressive overload (lifting heavier weights as you get stronger), and making sure you are doing things correctly so as to strengthen the right things, rather than strengthening disfunction (think training horses!)

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
My mum is diagnosed with osteoporosis, she's on medication, but naturally I keep my ears open to any tips about it, and the one thing I haven't seen mentioned on this thread, is something I heard a doctor say was the best exercise to help remind the body about that bones needs to be strong: bounce up and down on the spot a few times. Preferably daily.

Sadly, my mum also have problems with her knees, and doesn't trust neither them, nor her agility enough to give this exercise a try. But looking for a video or page about what I mean in English for this thread, I found a YouTube video which also had another suggestion about going up on your toes, and then down on the heel, for those who can't bounce/jump, which I'm going to tell my mum about.

Last edited:

maya2008

Visit site
Do you mind uf I ask how old your mum was at the Time?

About 58 I think. Her menopause was late, but not without problems. A bone scan revealed issues and she went on vitamin D, calcium and HRT. She had a medical history of responding badly to hormones (could never take the pill) so was very very unsure about it all. Her doctor was insistent she try, and eventually she did. It worked for her.

Highmileagecob

Visit site
The covering letter that arrived with the gloomy news mentioned skipping and star jumps as a way of loading the bones, but I'm not sure my knees would stand it! I will carry on walking, and digging the garden, heaving pots and buckets around and moving feed bags. Dr Google has provided quite a bit of information - some American sites are very keen to warn that cancer of the jaw is a known side effect.....However, for the minute I shall not frighten myself, and see if my GP can tell me my scores and likely time line of doom. Didn't manage to book an appointment 'but the doctor will ring you on July 19th for an update.' Quite what we are updating I am not sure.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
The covering letter that arrived with the gloomy news mentioned skipping and star jumps as a way of loading the bones, but I'm not sure my knees would stand it! I will carry on walking, and digging the garden, heaving pots and buckets around and moving feed bags. Dr Google has provided quite a bit of information - some American sites are very keen to warn that cancer of the jaw is a known side effect.....However, for the minute I shall not frighten myself, and see if my GP can tell me my scores and likely time line of doom. Didn't manage to book an appointment 'but the doctor will ring you on July 19th for an update.' Quite what we are updating I am not sure.
Have a look at The Osteoprosis Society website. They suggest walking 5 miles per week is enough to be effective.
NHS only offer the DEXA test every 5 years but I am pretty sure that I have some improvement, as my grip, which was hopeless has strengthed (unless jars have got easier to open) :D

irishdraft

Visit site
I was diagnosed with osteopenia when I had 2 bone breaks in 6 months. I asked the doctor myself as I was worried about osteoporosis & they sent me for a scan, I was 60 at the time. I was prescribed adcal which is vit D & calcium but not told to do anything else, I'm 5'8" but don't have a large frame.

Highmileagecob

Visit site
I probably walk much further than five miles a week, eat freshly cooked food daily, with real butter and full fat everything. I reckon I am doing most of the recommendations in the Osteoporosis Society website, which is why the diagnosis is a shock. Have any of you had any follow up scans to assess whether your prescribed treatment is working? There is a lot of advice out there, but little mention of results - part of me wonders if this is an area that has not really been evaluated, is it a case of hand out a prescription and make them feel something is being done? Sorry to be a bit negative, but I have a science background and would like to see evidence. I can't see any reason to take a calcium/vit D supplement when I already have milk and cheese daily. I am outdoors every day, exposed to whatever sunlight is available, lift, carry, stretch...... On the minus side, two 10lb babies may well have played a part in depleting calcium from bone, along with the menopause.