Shocked at H+H advice not to wear too much hi-viz

Tonibird83

Visit site
I think it is incredibly irresponsible for HH to take this view. The sad fact is that if you are out riding and have an accident involving a vehicle, it is very likely you and/or your horse will be severely injured or even killed so why create an issue around wearing hiviz to increase your visibility??

Yes, some people may laugh and think looking like a giant banana/tangerine/apple is ridiculous but the fact is you are seen by motorists much sooner than the neutral colours of a horse and your clothing (mostly).

I was laughed at on one yard wearing hivis yellow hatband,tabard and chaps and my horse leg wraps, bridle wraps and sheet. I told them all to bog off, at the end of the day, god forbid I am involved in an accident, the driver has a poor case if s/he claims they did not see us!!

I'd rather be told I look stupid than be dead!

Littlelegs

Visit site
Whilst no sensible person should go out hacking in fog, to suggest people who ride on roads have no care for their own safety is one of the most foolish comments I've read. Actually, exposure to traffic means that when something unusual happens off road, eg fairground in a field, dirt bikes, air ambulance etc, mine are bombproof enough not to cause an accident, unlike a few I've met who've never seen anything.
Or do you honestly believe people should only have horses if they are either lucky enough to live in an area where yards open straight to extensive bridleways or if they have enough land of their own?

canteron

Visit site
Such stupid comment actually devalues the whole article.

I took H&H for 20 years and cancelled it recently as I felt the standard of journalism was pretty poor. There are enough idiots in real life without paying to read their views in a magazine!

FionaM12

Visit site
I do not see any need to embarrass myself and my horse by dressing us both head to toe in fluorescent pink!

Is there any evidence, anywhere, which suggests horses are capable of embarrassment? You might feel embarrassed but I very much doubt the horse would be.

touchstone

Visit site
I think it is fairly safe to say that the majority have to ride on the roads at some point, whether that is a country track or a busy A road.

I certainly have to or my horse wouldn't leave the field.

I also think that there is a danger that the more we keep away from roads through fear, then the less motorists expect to see horses and drive/act accordingly. It gives fuel to the view that horses shouldn't be on the roads at all.

I have no intention of stopping riding on the roads and restricting my horse to becoming a paddock potato, I'll be out there claiming my right of way on the public highway as safely and visibly as possible!

Plus it would mean a huge increase in horseboxes/trailers on the road if horses weren't hacked anywhere that involved roadwork, hardly good for the environment and probably more irritating to drivers stuck behind a box for miles than having to slow for a ridden horse for a few seconds.

Marydoll

Visit site
I think it is fairly safe to say that the majority have to ride on the roads at some point, whether that is a country track or a busy A road.

I also think that there is a danger that the more we keep away from roads through fear, then the less motorists expect to see horses and drive/act accordingly. It gives fuel to the view that horses shouldn't be on the roads at all.

I have no intention of stopping riding on the roads and restricting my horse to becoming a paddock potato, I'll be out there claiming my right of way on the public highway as safely and visibly as possible!

Plus it would mean a huge increase in horseboxes/trailers on the road if horses weren't hacked anywhere that involved roadwork, hardly good for the environment and probably more irritating to drivers stuck behind a box for miles than having to slow for a ridden horse for a few seconds.

Where is thst like button when you want it :D

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
my patey may be considered to compromise my safety, but I do not wonder around busy roads considering my self to be incredibly safe because you wear hi viz. .

Well correct me if I'm wrong, but you do ride on roads, probably busy and otherwise, in your dark hunting clothes in the depths of winter, do you not?:confused:

ozpoz

Visit site

I agree in principle - but it depends on the roads around you. Where i am it is quite possible that the A road can have two large timber lorries in opposite directions. There are no verges, nowhere to go, and literally no room for a horse. I will not do it!
And I do feel sad when I see horses kept in very urban fields, motorways all around, and no visible off road riding. I question the people who feel we have the right to keep horses in those situations. I've never seen one that looks happy and I wonder how the grass must taste.

RunToEarth

Visit site
Oh do go and ride your horses Rosie on your hundreds of acres of off road riding. Not all of us are spoiled brats like you that our parents have hundreds of acres for us to ride on.

If weren't so spoilt I doubt you would be spouting this crap.

As a horse rider I hope you spoke to these riders. If you did not, you have no right to be talking about them on a public forum. Yes, they were contravening the highway code, but so are you by not wearing high visibility clothing.

I suggest you revise your Highway Code yourself before complaining about other road users.

I'm sorry, what?
I do not have hundreds of acres to ride on, my partner is a farmer. I'm not sure whether youre aware of farming practice but the land is cultivated for crop production, the only time I ride around the fields is when they are stubble, and so do lots of local riders who ask his permission, don't think im off tramping through his crops because im not.
I did highlight the dangers to them this morning, and as per, they were rude.
My opinion is my own, there are an awful lot of bad drivers out there and I prefer to ride as little on the rode as possible, I do not feel, hi viz or not, that it is safe or sensible.
I'm not sure how that is breaking the highway code, but I will wait to be jumped on.

touchstone

Visit site
I agree in principle - but it depends on the roads around you. Where i am it is quite possible that the A road can have two large timber lorries in opposite directions. There are no verges, nowhere to go, and literally no room for a horse. I will not do it!
And I do feel sad when I see horses kept in very urban fields, motorways all around, and no visible off road riding. I question the people who feel we have the right to keep horses in those situations. I've never seen one that looks happy and I wonder how the grass must taste.

I'm actually in quite a rural location in a tiny village, just that the main bridleways lead from a main A road and I am next to a motorway which is my field boundary. You are welcome to come and see how happy the horses are here and I'm pretty certain that the grass tastes just fine! :)

As for horses being kept in fields in urban areas, while I agree it isn't ideal, those horses are probably bombproof in traffic and one of the safest rides.
There are some horses who don't even have the luxury of a field to turn out in, regardless of the envioronment that they are kept in.

In todays ever expanding society we can either resign horses to rural areas, meaning that the horse population would reduce and be limited to a select few, (and goodness knows we have enough problems with the image of elitism in equestrianism) or we can get on and do the best that we can to promote safer routes in our ever encroaching urban areas.

Marydoll

Visit site

To ride on a road like the one you describe is madness and dangerous to all, id like to think common sense will prevail and nobody does it.
While i can see your point, horses are kept in far worse conditions than urban fields, personally i wouldnt keep mine in them, but thats my choice and i know im lucky to have it

Ladydragon

Visit site
The inverted snobbery on this thread is awful. my horses are not on full livery and I don't work in London. I do think if you gave two hoots about yours, your horses or other road user's safety you would not ride on the roads at all. And no, I don't wear hi viz.

Actually, that's the best bit of snobbery I've seen on the thread to be honest...

You're incredibly lucky if you are able to ride regularly without needing to go near a road... I guess everyone who isnt lucky enough to have the off road access that you do should just stick to riding schools... :rolleyes:

Gawd knows why we have bridle paths in our area that bisect roads and need road riding to access it... What were they thinking of...

caterpillar

Visit site
Actually, that's the best bit of snobbery I've seen on the thread to be honest...

You're incredibly lucky if you are able to ride regularly without needing to go near a road... I guess everyone who isnt lucky enough to have the off road access that you do should just stick to riding schools... :rolleyes:

Gawd knows why we have bridle paths in our area that bisect roads and need road riding to access it... What were they thinking of...

In the past RTE has said she does not agree with bridlepaths/public rights of way or something along those lines :rolleyes:

Clearly those who do not have access to acres and acres of private land should stick to arenas.

ozpoz

Visit site
Marydoll, the thing is people DO ride on these roads - and anytime I point out how dangerous it is, the answer is always "well, I have my hi viz on!"
The implication being that they have as much right to use the road as anyone (which is true)..... but hardly the point.

I think this attitude is partly what the article in this weeks H+H is about.

Queenbee

Visit site
If bertie Bassett was walking down the road, do you think you'd see him? If being visible means looking like bb I think I'll go with it thanks :)

Horsey_dreams

Visit site
I was enjoying the article yesterday, agreeing with the whole thing until i came across the bertie bassett comment!!!! I am a bertie bassett and PROUD i wear a tabard, hat cover, gloves, my big grey mare wears leg bands and a tail cover, plus the martingale type thing at the front. I have a mix of colours to suit the conditions.
I hack out with people who wear no hi viz, thats upto them, as long as drivers can see me and my horse thats fine, i also hack with those who wear more hi viz than me. Its a personal choice, but i personally cant understand why someone would not wear any at all, like someone else said its not just for your own safety but that of your horse and other road users. I guess a tabard is better than nothing, but those of you who only wear that please consider leg bands and a hat cover. I am always very alert on the roads, thanking considerate drivers and signalling others to slow down or stop, and waving back at kids who are pleased to see us!
Any friends who ride my horse also have to wear our hi viz gear, my horse, my safety rules!!!

I know riders who have come back from a hack in the dark, and others who thought it was funny to be stopped by a car who said they should wear hi viz as they couldnt see them.. it almost makes you cry that some riders could care so little for their horses safety.

Tinypony

Visit site
And for those still wearing the 'horse in training/young horse' type of tabards are by admission admitting liability .....QUOTE]

Not true. This has been discussed many times in the past. In the days of the BHS forum a barrister posted and explained clearly that this could just as easily be argued to be a rider taking a responsible approach.
Someone mentioned that it's "official" advice that these tabards should not be used and would be seen as an admission of liability, can anyone link to that?

Last edited:

FionaM12

Visit site
If bertie Bassett was walking down the road, do you think you'd see him? If being visible means looking like bb I think I'll go with it thanks :)

I met him once. Well, someone literally dressed as him, giving away free sweets to children from a bucket in the street.

My daughter was under two, in her pushchair. She actually didn't know what sweets were yet, and when BB loomed over her, bearing down on her with a bucket, she screamed and screamed and tried desperately to scrabble out of her pushchair :eek::eek:

I wheeled her away, distraught. It was ages before she stopped crying and calmed down. :(

So, I think you can say we definitely saw him. :D:D:D

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
RTE where do you ride then? do you have off farm access to public rights of way which aren't roads? an arena? Or is there some secret place to ride that the rest of us don't know about :rolleyes:

Rowreach I do think the hunting thing is an interesting point, I have a modified tabard which fits in the pocket of my hunt coat to use when hacking too and from the meet so at least have something, it seems far too odd for me to be on a road in only dark clothing!

Tinypony

Visit site
I met him once. Well, someone literally dressed as him, giving away free sweets to children from a bucket in the street.

My daughter was under two, in her pushchair. She actually didn't know what sweets were yet, and when BB loomed over her, bearing down on her with a bucket, she screamed and screamed and tried desperately to scrabble out of her pushchair :eek::eek:

I wheeled her away, distraught. It was ages before she stopped crying and calmed down. :(

So, I think you can say we definitely saw him. :D:D:D

Brilliant!

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
do you think Frank would mind if we went for this sort of look?

A%2Bdoodle%2Bpoodle%2BCreative%2Bdog%2Bgrooming%2Bcraze%2Bhits%2BBritain%2Bwith%2Bfirst-ever%2Bshow%2B4.jpg

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
RTE, yet again you make hunt followers look like arrogant, ignorant fools. I am aware that the people who follow the hunt you certainly used to be a member of, would find your attitudes deplorable. An ex-whipper in for that hunt used to ride the family riding school horses on the local roads, as did her mother, sister and aunt. I would suggest that in future, you give a little more thought to the impression you give of yourself and the sport you claim to support, before you make such ludicrous statements.

Queenbee

Visit site
An interesting point about tabbard wording and admissions however, It could be argued that if a person drives a car with L or P plates that is no different a message to the one riders send out. It does not lead to an automatic admission of liability. I believe it is merely a case of acting responsibly.

touchstone

Visit site
I thought most hunters did their fittening work on the roads?

Anyway, thought some of you might be interested in this lady, who rode from the Skye to Smithfield Market in London, right through the city :D

http://www.ride-for-research.org/12.htmlt

I have nothing but admiration for what they've achieved on todays busy roads and all for charity too. :)

Last edited:

Walrus

Visit site
I thought most hunters did their fittening work on the roads?

Anyway, thought some of you might be interested in this lady, who rode from the Skye to Smithfield Market in London, right through the city :D

http://www.ride-for-research.org/12.htmlt

I have nothing but admiration for what they've achieved on todays busy roads and all for charity too. :)

The most fantastic ambassador and advertisement for the Fell pony - love this lady and her fabulous ponies!

MileAMinute

Visit site
I've been told I look like an immature idiot for wearing Hi-Viz, because it's pink and I use too much of it! I've toned it down a bit atm as we don't do much road work par a 100 yard walk to bridleways but I always go out in my vest, and Meg with her leg wraps on all legs.

I ALWAYS wear hi viz, even if I'm going on the XC ride. If I came off and Meg bolted for home, who would see me hidden behind a XC jump? Down the bridleway, who would see me hidden in the trees? Worst came to worst and helicopters were searching, I'd be noticed a lot quicker.

Whether you're riding on the road or in fields, it's better to be seen!

I'd rather look like a tw*t riding on the road than a tw*t dead on the floor!

Kaylum

Visit site
An interesting point about tabbard wording and admissions however, It could be argued that if a person drives a car with L or P plates that is no different a message to the one riders send out. It does not lead to an automatic admission of liability. I believe it is merely a case of acting responsibly.

Urban myth I am afraid as in another thread a while ago many people checked out with their insurance companies it does not admit anything and will not invalidate your insurance.