SHOCKED!!!

Champion1969

Visit site
So here is the scenario....Today at the farm a woman in her 50s takes her 16'2 gelding out on a hack, 20 mins later the horse comes cantering through the yard without a rider. I manage to catch him put his stirrups up tie his reins and put him in his stable while we go out looking for the owner, other people by this time had gone to do this so I stayed at his stable. The owner returns on foot barges passed me, with her riding hat in hand, then charged in the stable and swings for this poor horse with her hat and starts screaming and punching him.

I'm sat here at home still absolutely gob smacked, this woman has recently started up her own equine dentist :eek::eek::eek:

smellsofhorse

Visit site
She must have been embarrassed, hurt, ( mentally and or physically)
Shocked etc.

Even if the horse was naughty and it was "their" fault, there is no excuse to hit the horse.

tessybear

Visit site
I'm afraid i would have pushed her back out the stable and stuck that hat where the sun doesn't shine:mad:

Under No circumstance should any animal go through :( Hope you're ok OP after seeing that?

tankgirl1

Visit site
These are the type of 'horsey people' I cannot stand! Silly cow, needs a slap round the face herself by all accounts! Good on you OP for seeing to the neddy

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
O.M.G. I would have gone in and punched her lights out. Name and shame ??? there are no words for what I would have done.

We were up at Tan Hill Inn today walking the dogs (just in case this person reads this forum) , and this lovely three legged terrier came up to join us for the walk. We waited ever so nicely for the owner to catch her (our dogs were both on leads as there were black grouse nesting yards away - no one else's dog was on a lead - are people THICK :mad:). So he comes up holding his camera, and because he can't get hold of Lily, he starts bashing her with the lead.

I had my face looking the other way at hubs and didn't see it - but I tell you what, if I had, he would not still have a camera.

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
Not surprised the horse ditched her when they were out.
Pity she didn't take the hint.

This is a time when I would intervene by just asking what the problem was, so as not to inflame her further but to try and make her take a moment to calm down and realise how bad her behaviour appears.

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
It must be very sad to have that kind of relationship with horses though, mustn't it ? Missing out on so much.

Like Lily's owner today - he didn't realise what a cracker of a pooch he had there.

Crugeran Celt

Visit site
Wait till she's had a bit of a fright then start hitting her with a riding hat perhaps she will get the idea!! I would be mad seeing that.:mad:

skint1

Visit site
Don't feel guilty, I too would have wanted to lay into her, but I don't have the confidence to have done so. Perhaps a quiet word with YO?

Same here. She is the one who should feel guilty and ashamed, which I hope she will feel when she cool down :( Poor horse.

Rhodders

Visit site
bless that poor horse, it wont understand why it got a beating after the event. No wonder there are so many "problem" horses in this world with clueless t***s for owners :mad:

will0w

Visit site
oh no....!!!

when you see someone do this it is not the first time...I guess this is why he doesn't want her to ride him...poor horse!!!

sophspot

Visit site
Me personally I would leave it a couple of weeks, then walk past said owner with your hat in one hand and when she's least expecting it raise your hat high in the air and very quickly near her and say in a loud voice "it's not nice is it ! " then walk away, hopefully give the old bat something to think about. People like that really infuriate me.

maggiestar

Visit site
Poor horse, he did the right thing going straight home but still got punished. Did she really think the horse would associate that thump with whatever had happened on their ride? :( Obviously she was upset at the time so maybe she just needs a quiet word about controlling her feelings around horses.

Rhodders

Visit site
personally I'd be bloody greatfull that my horse was safe back in his stable, but we're all different? Some people just don't deserve animals because they can't understand the privilege

Charley657

Visit site
That is awful! :mad: Poor horse must have wondered what the hell was going on. :(

Hopefully this woman is a member on here and will post about her horse throwing her off. Its the one time I'd be happy for everyone to have a go at someone. :mad:

*Spider*

Visit site
Oh for goodness sake's what a drama queen.
I can understand why she was infuriated but surely she should understand that horse's have 0.3 seconds to associate punishment with their actions. Never mind that 'beating' a horse should never be used as a punishment.
I must admit, when my youngster did a whopping big fly buck, then dropped a shoulder, ditching me in the dirt I did want to throttle him because he was just being a pleb, but instead I just lay there cursing at him until pain subsided and got back on him and calmy resumed the ride, sitting tight at every single buck and ***** fit. Unfortunately that's what horses are like. Getting angry and 'beating' a horse will make a situation 100x worse and make a horse nervous.

We have a horse in at the moment who is a nervous wreck. Unfortunately we knew the hands in which he came from, whilst his owner is lovely, he was with a notorious dealer who used to beat the crap out of them, once we saw him beat a horse to the floor whilst he was clipping it. This was a 17hh brute of a show jumper, not a 14hh pony. You get the picture. This horse panics if you just lift your fork up whilst mucking him out :(

Whilst I'm happy to put a horse in their place, I can NOT STAND people who used excessive unnecessary force. Unfortunately I wouldn't be afraid to make that experience public and advise people to avoid her business. I would like to know whether someone like that is dealing with my horse, especially if I would need to leave him unattended.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
A woman on my old yard was like thix, beat the crap out of her horse while I was showing a potential livery round. I think the horse had stepped into her in the stable. She had a total freak about it. She does this verbally to people occasionally, always for minor things. I think people like this are clearly not normal and have mental issues, it's just a ridiculously OTT way of carrying on :( Another bloke on my old yard smacked the bejesus out of his horse's face with the bridle when it dared to move when being tacked up. Stupid, stupid, he's going to make a lovely horse headshy :(

FreyaB

Visit site
To be honest, the first thing I do when I fall off is comfort my horse - Usually for my benefit rather than his! Even if he's just standing there like 'what?' I'm all cuddly and comforting :)